Almost an ugly incident

4 posters

Go down

Almost an ugly incident Empty Almost an ugly incident

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 17:14

Just returned from our evening walk and free time at the park. When we arrived, Tyson, as usual, made a b-line for his mates Bella and Jack. Off to the side were two young boys with a pair of terriers (not sure what they were but they were groomed with a cut similar to the Scottie and were grey in colour). These two were yapping incessantly at any and every dog in sight.

As Tyson neared them, the one kid began screaming and tried to coral his wayward pooches. I went over and calmly asked him to calm down as his hysteria was simply increasing his dogs level of agitation and this would have an adverse effect on all the dogs around. They moved off to the side with the little brats still barking incessantly.

Tyson and Jack proceeded to play as they regularly do. Jack is a good natured, 4 year old neutered Labrador and is considered the head honcho at the park. He is not adverse to giving wayward pooches a growl or nip if their behaviour gets out of hand. Jack also collects all the tennis balls he can in his mouth and Tyson tries to get them off him. His record is 4 at one time. He has never minded Tyson doing this but has growled at others.
All of a sudden (still with this crazy yapping going on off to the side) Jack attacked Tyson. Tyson at first did not retaliate but after a few seconds when it was clear that Jack had serious intent, he did start to give Jack a go.

Fortunately, his owner and I were both close and I grabbed Jack by the collar from behind and kept Tyson at bay with my left leg at the same time commanding him to down. I was relieved when Ty listened and Jack calmed down almost immediately. We were all very calm and lay both dogs next to each other while checking for any damage. Aside from a little blood in each mouth from lips/tongues being nipped there was no injury to either. Within a few minutes they were both off to play again. We left shortly after as I am convinced that the tension in the park caused by the two terriers was the cause of this altercation.

It just goes to show how energy does effect what happens when dogs interact.

Back to top Go down

Almost an ugly incident Empty Re: Almost an ugly incident

Post by janey Thu Apr 12 2012, 17:27

Must have been a bit scary for you lynne and I am pleased no harm was done to Ty or Jack. I totally agree that dogs feed off emotion and energy but can also just turn in a blink of an eye, even the most well trained dogs still have a mind of there own.

Well done that Ty listened and you where both quick to act. Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Thu Apr 12 2012, 17:42

Glad nothing too bad came of it and they certainly feed off others vibes
We had something similar yesterday whilst walking in the fields near by I had buster on his lead as there was a husky the other side anyway this dog came over and Skye went to say hello well this dog growled and went to go for Skye
Luckly a kid ran over with a lead ( the mum was still the other side of the field) put the dog on the lead and walked it away
Later I found out this dog doesn't like staffs
I'm just glad Skye behaved and got herself out of the way
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:51

Ty wrote: We left shortly after as I am convinced that the tension in the park caused by the two terriers was the cause of this altercation.

It just goes to show how energy does effect what happens when dogs interact.

Absolutely it does. You did very well Lynne to difuse the situation as soon as you did. These things kick off so quickly it's sometimes hard to figure out exactly what happend to spark it off.

This is why I video any dog that now approaches Rocky, to examine his behaviour and keep an eye on how he is progressing. Thankfully nothing bad has happend since I have been doing it, but it is a very good tool in any case.

Well done again Lynne star
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:52

Frightening Lynne! I agree that overall energy of a dog(s) and owners contributes to their behavior. Might have all been on edge with the yaps going on and the high tension. If the other terriers weren't happy at the park, why did the owners stay? crazy people...
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 19:26

I totally agree it was the cairn terriers fault, Jack must have been annoyed with them i would be!!

I watched an episode of something either me or the dog or dog whisperer and there was three dogs and two always fought, so the owners thought they had the problems but it turned out the shy quiet one that never did anything wrong was the one starting the fights then getting out of the way and letting the other two take the blame!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 00:27

I agree it was most likely caused by the tension from the other dogs. Well done on getting them seperated quickly and glad nothing serious happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 11:25

That must have been so scary, well done getting control of the situation so quickly. Tension from people and other animals definately affects their behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down