Growling

3 posters

Go down

Growling Empty Growling

Post by Karen and Max Mon Apr 02 2012, 21:58

Hi All, havn't been on here for quite some time. We have a 2yr old recently neutered male. He is a big softy, but has started to growling. I have an 8yr old son, so it is quite a concern. The dog, Dillon, lived with me, i became ill nearly a year ago, so my partner cared for him and i didnt get him back! Since then ive rescued a Staffy X, this behaviour occured before we got Tia. Anyway when he lived with my boy and i, he was used to rough play since then my boy had him cornered and he growled. Then he growled at my partner when being told off for bad behaviour, once bearing his teeth. Apart from this he his great, typically bull headed at times, but very loving. Obviously him being around my son is a concern. My partner wants rid, this is not an easy decision, coz he adores him. Any ideas please??
Karen and Max
Karen and Max
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dillon
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Growling Empty Re: Growling

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 22:08

When was he neutered? What do you feed him? What sort of exercise does he get?

I would say that he's getting above his station. You need to start to make sure he knows that you are the boss, not him.

You could try upping his exercise & try some regular mental training. Maybe even join a training club so that he has plenty to keep him occupied. Don't let him get away with anything. If he does something you don't like, distract him with a training command - one you know he can get right first time. That way you put yourself back in control of the situation. Use treats if you need to - carry some around in your pockets all the time.

Don't allow any rough play at all, especially with your son. Let your son know that he mustn't allow Dillon to mouth him or jump on him. If they play at all, your son must be in control of the game, so playing fetch with a ball or getting him to find treats hidden around the room would be ok, but not on the floor wrestling!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 22:12

I agree with Caryll. Dillon just needs reminding of who is in charge - that's every human in the house.

Could your son take over feeding Dillon for a while, and perhaps a bit of supervised obedience training?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 02 2012, 22:27

Great idea to bring in a training command when he gets a bit OTT, we do this and use the SIT we can then calm down a little and then carry on with whatever we were doing.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 23:40

Agree with Caryll with increased exercise and mental stimulation. I would also not allow a child to rough play with a dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Tue Apr 03 2012, 06:42

Good advice off Caryll, Shontelle and JStaff. Is there a specific trigger like raising your voice? Keep us updated.
8pawprints
8pawprints
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen and Max Tue Apr 03 2012, 08:57

Thank you everyone, he was neutered last week, we've already experimented with food as he as a sensitive stomach. I said exactly what has been said, that Dillon is getting ideas above his station. I think he is spoilt! Unfortunately my partner was bit a couple of times by a rottweiller when he was a kid, it was a big thing when we got Dillon, if it wasn,t for my son crying I wouldnt have kept him, my partner was a nervous wreck! He is not prepared to take risk with our son, if he was on his own it would be a different matter. I believe he should be prepared to put the work in. It's to do with the type of dog he is. Dillon is great in every other way.
Karen and Max
Karen and Max

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dillon
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content