any info and suggestions ??

5 posters

Go down

any info and suggestions ?? Empty any info and suggestions ??

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 19:41

Hey every1 not been on in aaaaages :O

Well i need suggestions please and any info......... Me and my OH have been talking about getting a wee friend for Titan, and older dog ofcourse 2 puppies would be too much to handle as much i would love a wee blue Tongues The reason for wanting to rehome an older dog too is because there is far too many older dogs out there needing a loving home that no-one wants coz their too old. So today i was having a wee look on gumree and have fell in love with a 6yr old dalmation called Stanley. The girl is rehoming him due to been pregnant and wont be able to give him the time,love and attention he needs. He is brill with kids (i have a 2yr old) and other dogs plus he been nuetured (sp?) I feel he would love our family as we go out alot to parks,shores etc. I have to go see him 2morro. Any info,suggestions on how to introduce them etc also should i take Titan with me?
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Titan
Dog(s) Ages : 16 1/2 wks ruffly
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

any info and suggestions ?? Empty Re: any info and suggestions ??

Post by Steve Mon Apr 02 2012, 19:46

i wouldn't touch a dog from guntree.... that website need closing down goto a rescue if u want to rescue a older dog

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:06

i got my Titan from someone on there i dont have any issues with it Smile every1 to their own opinion Smile
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:30

maybe you've just been lucky , at least if you go to a rescue the dog will have been checked out. You just have their reason for getting rid, hopefully you will be very lucky , but especially with an older dog it could go horribly wrong as they have so much more history. and BTW Titan is a little beauty , very handsome boy Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:38

heyy thanks he is isnt he lol Smile the dog was vet checked on friday and has the paper dated to proove hes ok and that i am more than welcome to see it, the lady aslo said she has the documents (papers) for him and his health is fine. i would be willing to pay for anything he needed done anyway Smile So any suggestion to the introducing ?
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:43

I wouldn't support a website like gumtree

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:43

I would try & introduce them on neutral ground first - on lead & walking on the outside of you & the current owner. Then bring one of them inside & if that's ok, try them walking side by side. then see if they'll play off lead.

The next step is a little more difficult & will be the real test. You'll have to bring the new dog into your home. That's when you'll see how it's likely to go.

I wouldn't go through gumtree either - nothing against your choice of Titan, he's gorgeous - I just think there are far too many dishonest people advertising dogs on there.

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:48

Steve wrote:I wouldn't support a website like gumtree

like i said every1 to their own opinion , out of curiosity why not ?
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:50

this is not about opinion if you care about staffy you wouldn't buy or get a dog off gumtree it's back yard breeders central

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:53

XxTitans-mummyXx wrote:
Steve wrote:I wouldn't support a website like gumtree

like i said every1 to their own opinion , out of curiosity why not ?

There are a good many BYBs on there. Plus, not all of the ones getting rid of dogs are telling the truth. Some are stolen, some have behavioural problems that they're not telling you. Some pass off X breeds as pedigree or falsify pedigree papers. Not all of them, of course, but there are a good many on there.

I would much rather go to a rescue centre, but as you say, it's a personal decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 20:59

Steve wrote:this is not about opinion if you care about staffy you wouldn't buy or get a dog off gumtree it's back yard breeders central

my staff came from gumtree and also the dog is 6. please dont imply i dont care about my staff just because i got/getting a dog from gumtree.
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 21:02

Caryll wrote:I would try & introduce them on neutral ground first - on lead & walking on the outside of you & the current owner. Then bring one of them inside & if that's ok, try them walking side by side. then see if they'll play off lead.

The next step is a little more difficult & will be the real test. You'll have to bring the new dog into your home. That's when you'll see how it's likely to go.

I wouldn't go through gumtree either - nothing against your choice of Titan, he's gorgeous - I just think there are far too many dishonest people advertising dogs on there.

heyy yeh i do agree that the fact there is some people trying to sell stolen dogs etc though not every ad is scam Smile
thanks for your advice Caryll Smile Hope everything goes well 2morro Smile Also gumtree wouldnt be my first choice i was aactually looking for a new hamster cage lol when i seen the ad for him.
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 21:05

Kym , Steve isn't implying anything like that , Titan looks very well kept. But if you care for Staffy's in general then gumtree is one to avoid for all the reasons above. It's been a bad word on here since day 1 and a lot of people get wound up terrible when you see some of the adverts from there

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 21:29

"if you get a dog from gumtree you dont care for your staff" is the way that seemed to me confused i am not debating with any1 on this i only wanted opinions on the introducing. Also the way i see it how does any rescue home know every bit of history, behaviour etc with dogs at the centre if they are off the street ??... Trial and error which i think is the chance to take 2morro.
Please dont judge me for rehoming off gumtree i seen him and fell in love
another quick question... Titan has a double duck feather mattress topper folded over for his bed lol should i unfold it so they both can use it or have another bed for Stanley (if everything goes well 2morro) also what are the bad signs to watch for like body language thanks.
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Mon Apr 02 2012, 21:58

i was told to wait a least a year b4 bringing another dog in to my home and that staffys usually work best with the opposite sex also if you go to a rescue centre the dog will of had a behaviour check done it so will be homed in a suitable environment eg with children
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
any info and suggestions ?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Mon Apr 02 2012, 22:02

he is already homed just now with a 3 yr old and the ladies pregnant. so he is obviously good and has been brought up with a child. He is neutered would this not make a difference too? Titan will be done when he turns 1.
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by XxTitans-mummyXx Tue Apr 03 2012, 00:03

so does any1 have any suggestions that could make things easier in the house ?? Smile
XxTitans-mummyXx
XxTitans-mummyXx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03 2012, 01:09

Caryll wrote:I would try & introduce them on neutral ground first - on lead & walking on the outside of you & the current owner. Then bring one of them inside & if that's ok, try them walking side by side. then see if they'll play off lead.

I agree. Once in the house you will have to supervise them and learn to read body language. Don't fuss over the new dog too much and seperate them if they are going to be left alone. It would also be good if you had a week or two off of work or someone could be home most of the time to ease the transition

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03 2012, 01:37

I really hope your not putting money in this pathetic persons pocket having another child is no excuse to get rid of a lovely family member he is supposed to be well behaved and fantastic with everything and everyone one, then why is she rehoming him....is he not good with children under her current childs age or what?. I really feel sorry for this poor dog, just being shipped out like he is, just wondering if the day you go and see him would be this womans street garbage day it would make sense.
Good on you for rehoming (not buying, if thats the case) but it is important for professionals to tests these dogs they do it for a reason. Body language in dogs should be something your already familar with seens you have a dog, do not pay to much attention to either dog, feed seperatly, seperate escape areas for both dogs especially if one becomes over whelmed. Basic care and training for both for a good couple of months until their well settled. Most important body language to look out for if stiffness/rigid/quiet but eyes are dilated fixated, raising heads above other dogs, tail high slow stiff wagging, unless accompanied by this body language the odd grown if just a way of communication not always aggression. Allow their own seperate area to be their own not your childs or your other dogs, set boundaries immediately not when you think the other dog has settled he will settle more quickly knowing what is what immediatley.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03 2012, 04:21

hope all goes well with whatever you decide !

I would be letting the dogs get used to each other on neutral ground for sure first. If you do get the dalmation at least that is one story of a dog on gumtree getting a second chance at life... so many aren't that lucky!

I actually got Winston of Gumtree here in WA ( and I know for a fact he has a b****y good life with us!! ) but all the adds on there for staffy and staffy cross and every other breed and mix under the sun make me sick.. there are thousands! People need to stop back yard breeding!! angry

Last edited by vanessa on Tue Apr 03 2012, 04:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling boo boo)

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Tue Apr 03 2012, 14:58

Hi, we've just got a playmate for maisy, we went for a boy as opposite sex can be a better mix, we got from a rescue cos like you we have a very young child so he had to be right, also goin thro rescue, you n your dog are protected, they will always take the dog back should things not work out, have you thought what you'd do if after a few weeks the dogs didnt get on, you may be stuck with tryng to rehome and you'd prob hate to have to do it. As your pup gets older he may become more dominant, neuterin doesn't necessarly help. Don't mean be down on the idea, I just thought id share the thoughts we have had when getting our no.2.

Are both dogs used to other dogs? In particular is the dalmation used to younger playful dogs? I would have seperate beds to start with, n don't leave them alone together. Good luck with what you decide x
kate32
kate32
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03 2012, 16:39

MissRogue wrote:I really hope your not putting money in this pathetic persons pocket having another child is no excuse to get rid of a lovely family member he is supposed to be well behaved and fantastic with everything and everyone one, then why is she rehoming him...

exactly. i HATE people that do that. you got the dog before you got pregnant, so what..if she got pregnant again would she get rid of the first kid cause she wont be giving it as much love? bloody horrible.

And OP steve meant that if you care about staffies in general you won't get them off gumtree. they are ususally BYB and dodgy folk who would rather bang out loads of pups and sell them than actually try to better the breed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03 2012, 18:36

I got Saxon from a family that advertised on Uncle Henry's, an online classified similar to Gumtree. I paid $150 for him and got his kennel, his toys, his shampoo/brush, and a couple weeks worth of food along with him. The family had gotten him from a breeder, but decided he was just too much for them and their children. By taking him, I gave a great dog a good home and prevented him from going into a shelter. I did not support BYB or put money in the pockets of bad people. Saxon's original family spent a lot more than $150 on him for the 3 months that they had him and the only reason they charged anything at all was to make sure he was going to a home that could afford him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 03:50

CatStina wrote:I got Saxon from a family that advertised on Uncle Henry's, an online classified similar to Gumtree. I paid $150 for him and got his kennel, his toys, his shampoo/brush, and a couple weeks worth of food along with him. The family had gotten him from a breeder, but decided he was just too much for them and their children. By taking him, I gave a great dog a good home and prevented him from going into a shelter. I did not support BYB or put money in the pockets of bad people. Saxon's original family spent a lot more than $150 on him for the 3 months that they had him and the only reason they charged anything at all was to make sure he was going to a home that could afford him.

thumbs up .. and what a lucky boy you saw the add!
We say that about Winston ...we reckon of all the pups his mum had, he has really landed on his feet..oops.. paws!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 03:55

vanessa wrote:
CatStina wrote:I got Saxon from a family that advertised on Uncle Henry's, an online classified similar to Gumtree. I paid $150 for him and got his kennel, his toys, his shampoo/brush, and a couple weeks worth of food along with him. The family had gotten him from a breeder, but decided he was just too much for them and their children. By taking him, I gave a great dog a good home and prevented him from going into a shelter. I did not support BYB or put money in the pockets of bad people. Saxon's original family spent a lot more than $150 on him for the 3 months that they had him and the only reason they charged anything at all was to make sure he was going to a home that could afford him.

We say that about Winston ...we reckon of all the pups his mum had, he has really landed on his feet..oops.. paws!!
Yay for Winston and Saxon! star

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 07:39

CatStina wrote:
vanessa wrote:

Yay for Winston and Saxon! star

Winston "says" Blushing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Apr 04 2012, 13:25

I wouldn't personally recommend you get another male but as hes a dalmatian you might be alright. Dalmatians do need A LOT of exercise though so please be prepared for 2-3 hours walking a day. They were bred to be carriage dogs and run for 40 miles a day. They can also be slightly snappy, they suffered a lot after the various film adaptions of 101 dalmatians and a lot of back yard breeders indiscriminately bred puppies for the money. To the best of my knowledge the breed is a lot better now and recovering. Generally they are a calm but active breed and ideal for someone that likes jogging.
I have nothing agaisnt Gumtree, I got my cat from there but please be on your guard as a lot of the dogs are stolen. I wouldn't buy a puppy from there, even kc registered but I see no problem with rehoming a needy dog from selfish people that should be neutered. 'Having another child' that excuse makes my blood boil.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down