Behaviour towards other dogs

5 posters

Go down

Behaviour towards other dogs Empty Behaviour towards other dogs

Post by KatieD Sun Apr 01 2012, 23:19

Hi all just wondering is it "normal" for our dog to growl at others, we took our dogs out earlier and a couple went past with their dog off the lead and it came up to ours and ignored them calling her back (i think it was a bitch) our pup was growling but he was on lead so didn't get up close because they didn't want theirs coming near, I think they thought ours was older as she went "oh she wont listen shes a pup" I said "ours is too Smile he just wants to play" but i'm so wary over letting him go too near because of how he acts in the first place with the growling but then he started doing his yelping bark which is just playing and I think he would prefer bitches anyway as he lives with one. Also my neighbor got a dog not too long ago hes a lurcher cross or something along them lines and hes really small in height and width and got through their fence and our dog was over him and their dog was laid on the floor, I was really shook up thinking if he hurt him but think hes just a bit full on and he wanted to play but the neighbors dog did the submissive thing and laid down, i'm not sure if he just growls when hes on the lead, anybody any ideas why? hes a really lovely dog though and when a dog barks at him he as a go back but surely its all normal? he'll be 6 months sometime this month Smile
KatieD
KatieD
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tess & Kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : Tess- 13 years. Kaiser- 7 months.
Dog Gender(s) : Tess- Female. Kaiser- Male.
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Behaviour towards other dogs Empty Re: Behaviour towards other dogs

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 00:45

Back to top Go down

Post by SparklyMeringue Mon Apr 02 2012, 02:53

My pup is the complete opposite, she doesnt growl at other dogs. Shes not aggressive at all, she was attacked yesterday by two king charles spaniels, had to take her the vets with multiple bite marks, shes only 5months old.

I didnt think it would be a problem to let her off the lead on the field behind my house as there was no other dogs around. Obviously thats not the best idea. The man who owned the king charles stated that my dog must have frightened his dogs into biting her... Even though she didnt do anything back to them, just lied on the floor and cried.

SparklyMeringue
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jessy
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Mon Apr 02 2012, 05:38

There are many books on dog body language, try your local library or Internet. I would watch carefully as you do not want DA developing.
For SparklyMeringue, is your pup ok? Did you get the owner of the other dogs to pay costs? Dogs don't usually attack puppies, he should have his dogs under control or muzzled. Think about taking it further if your dog was totally innocent. Always important to be aware of other dogs and their body language when out on walks.
8pawprints
8pawprints

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Apr 02 2012, 06:10

SparklyMeringue wrote:My pup is the complete opposite, she doesnt growl at other dogs. Shes not aggressive at all, she was attacked yesterday by two king charles spaniels, had to take her the vets with multiple bite marks, shes only 5months old.

I didnt think it would be a problem to let her off the lead on the field behind my house as there was no other dogs around. Obviously thats not the best idea. The man who owned the king charles stated that my dog must have frightened his dogs into biting her... Even though she didnt do anything back to them, just lied on the floor and cried.

It wasn't something your pup did. Spaniels can be very DA and that was a bunch of bs he told you to shirk responsibility. I'd report him and his dogs.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieD Mon Apr 02 2012, 09:23

Thankyou I'll take a look guys, just on mobile at min so when i go on comp I'll look on the link and SparklyMeringue I hope your pup is ok I don't think it's your fault either you oughta have a word with him, his dogs shouldn't be off lead If they are like that, like already said I thought too that it's rare for dogs to attack a puppy
KatieD
KatieD

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tess & Kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : Tess- 13 years. Kaiser- 7 months.
Dog Gender(s) : Tess- Female. Kaiser- Male.
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Tue Apr 03 2012, 05:48

It always really annoys me how many irresponsible dog owners there are who have DA dogs. After their dog is allowed to attack your dog , they make out it is somehow your fault, when yours is well behaved and has good dog manners. Rude or what. I usually don't swear back any more, but tell them how ignorant and narrow minded they are. Also usually say that it could be a child their dog goes for next time and police would then destroy their dog. I have seen some horrendous injuries to kids first hand, missing ears, noses and psychologocally damaged for life. Sadly hardly ever an apology and their dog usually still out of control when seen on future walks. You just have to be viligent on walks. End of rant !
8pawprints
8pawprints

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by lindypeno Tue Apr 10 2012, 17:31

God that is terrible, why do other people always blame the staffie, I hate walking near me for that same reason, If I have my older staff on her lead and theirs come flying from the across the field at her and the owners are oblivious.

I always say, you would not like it if I let mine off and it came bounding up to your bloody dog GRRR !!! I get so angry at these people....

Tia got bit by a jack russell the other week and the owner just laughed and said, oh he's so naughty sometimes, I just stormed off in a womanly rage and called him a n-b Sad

lindypeno
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tia and Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 14 weeks and 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : girl and boy
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content