sceared dog

2 posters

Go down

sceared dog Empty sceared dog

Post by salih Thu Mar 29 2012, 14:25

hi all

its about my dog kira.
when we are in the back yard every thing is great she play fights plays ball every thing.
but when i go to put a coller on her to take her for a walk she is very very sceared and lies down with her tail in between her legs.
once we are out she is great
but if i take her out with out ower other dog she is terrified and most of the time dosent want to walk.

plus she is sceared of car rides and vomits in them.
also if i tell her off for littel things she thinks im going to kill her. Sad but as soon as i tell her its ok she is great and happy again ???
also she is sceared of being picked up

all thise things where much worser when we first got her but now its becoming alot better but
still i dont want her having to live with fear for no reason....

hope i have made sence lol

salih
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

sceared dog Empty Re: sceared dog

Post by Kathy Thu Mar 29 2012, 14:45

It does all makes sense, sadly, it sounds like she has been punished in the past by previous owners for little things she has done wrong.

Sounds like you need to instill some self confidence in her. It may well take some time but with patience you will get there. Be consistent in her training that goes for all others in your household too.

Keep doing the good work you have started (you say that she is getting better) keep giving her plenty of praise and remember to correct her rather than punish her for the naughty things, you will be just fine.

As for the car rides she may well get motion sickness, make sure she can she out of the windows clearly may be try small journeys to begin with then build it up gradually.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29 2012, 15:15

Try starting with some simple excercises like sits and downs and reward her with treats and lots of praise when she gets it right. Place the collar and leash on her by holding a treat on the otherside and giving it to her when she gets it on. Let her just walk around with it draging for a few minutes and take it off and repeat a few minutes late. Keep these excecises down to about 5 minutes in the beginning. Always finish on a positive note.

With the car, just practice getting her in and out for now. Then let her simply sit in it for longer periods again with lots of praise and a treat for each successful step.

Essentially, break down everything that she is scared of into small steps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 01:05

Agree with the advice above. Don't force her into a situation she is uncomfortable with. Slow and steady progress will help her gain confidence

Back to top Go down

Post by salih Fri Mar 30 2012, 01:58

yeah sounds great guys
i thought she got miss treated aswell but when i got her there where still
4 pups left and they where all very happy and i got her of a lady wich looked like she really loved them all and wouldent hurt any of them, you know when you just get that feeling that a person loves dogs...

also she is getting better much better and cheacky know
because i dont tell her of for littel things like i wouled my other dog.

i have been getting on top of littel things but she still dosent want to go out with out the other dog...

as for the car she cant see out the window because she is laying down the hole time lol

im not too fused about it one day she will come god with the love we give her its just she is missing out on so many thing not likeing the car...
il try every thing every one has sayed and hpe fully she will come good.

thanks for the help every one Smile

salih

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 02:02

It can take a little time for pups to gain confidence. When we got Suki she was terrified of passing cars and trains. The first time she would see one she would pull like mad back towards the house. We just let her go at her own pace and tried to go a little longer every day and she came around. I would sit near a train track and do a short training session with lots of praise and treats until a train passed by. Each day I get a little closer to the track and now she isn't bothered by them at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by salih Fri Mar 30 2012, 04:42

hmmm sounds like foods the way lol
look she has changed heaps at the start every time you wouled look at her she wouled pee happy pee and some times sceared pee

after the first 3 mounths iv never seen her pee again lol
so she trusts us its just theres still littel things we need to work on

salih

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 05:11

agree with all the advice above.. steady is the way.. and yes if you find a food treat she loves that will help alot...nothing like a bribe! Smile

If she does get really scared do not soothe her, as that reinforces that it is okay to be frightened..not good! try to ignore bad behaviour and reward the good.. I know it can be very hard!

Last edited by vanessa on Fri Mar 30 2012, 05:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling boo boo)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 08:37

i agree with the advise your given. its a matter of boosting her confidence and showing her that the world isnt as scarey as she thinks so baby steps but you will get there in the end. my Lottie was a terrified bundle but her confidence is growing by the day. The more they are told good boy/girl and you are happy the more the confidence will grow. silly things like sit will get rewarded with a treat and an enthusiastic 'good boy' with a cheery happy voice. The trainer we go to actualy tells men that they must raise their voice by a couple of actaves and sound more girly. Lottie thrives on being told she's a good girl and we clap and cheer and she thinks its great and that big staffy smile comes on her face as though she's laughing and cheering at herself. its great to watch the confidence grow so remember the cheerier the voice the better.

Back to top Go down

Post by salih Sat Mar 31 2012, 03:54

ok il try to sound as happy and girly as i can. Big Grin
people might look at me weird because im a 6ft1 125kg guy
but i dont car for the dog any thing lol

thanks for the advice

salih

Status Status :