Could my dog...

4 posters

Go down

Could my dog... Empty Could my dog...

Post by Gee Thu Mar 29 2012, 13:45

..run off at anytime if he gets scent of another dog on heat?

I read about peoples dog's going running off for miles after a dog in head. I'd hate for this to happen with Troy if he just decided to 'do one' while off the lead. He really isn't scared of traffic and has no regards for it.

Are there any signs of behaviours I could look out for?

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Could my dog... Empty Re: Could my dog...

Post by CMR Thu Mar 29 2012, 20:07

Gee wrote:

yes, ears back and nose to the ground while running at speeds you cant keep up with Big Grin .

seriously though, it is a risk but it's relatively small. there are plenty more things that can tempt dogs into roads and the answer to it is a reliable recall and a good bond with the dog.

good to hear he is good enough to play off leash already, good work
CMR
CMR
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Mar 29 2012, 20:36

Haha, okay thanks.

I can play of leash with him without much issue. He wouldn't listen if he saw another dog or discarded food though! I keep practicing with him and using positive reinforcement when he comes back to me so hope he gets better.

I can divert his attention while on his long lead if other dogs are around but wouldn't risk it or think he would listen if completely off leash.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Mar 29 2012, 21:05

my dogs wouldn't run dont matter that they smell Wink it's how u train your dog

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29 2012, 21:08

Well, it can happen, but it isn't as common as some people would have you believe. I've had 5 entire males over the years & none of them have ever done a runner after an in season bitch.

That's not to say they haven't been interested, but you get to understand their body language. They won't just suddenly start running, they'll stop & start sniffing very excitedly at a particular piece of ground first. They may even start to scout around to pick up more of the scent. More often than not they'll lift their heads up for a sniff of the air & you'll see them drooling & maybe smacking their lips as they taste the scent.

If you notice Troy doing this, then clip him on lead & lead him away from temptation.

Training is important, plus a good bond with your dog, but it's always best to be on the safe side & be aware of any excessive sniffing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Mar 30 2012, 10:54

Caryll wrote:Well, it can happen, but it isn't as common as some people would have you believe. I've had 5 entire males over the years & none of them have ever done a runner after an in season bitch.

That's not to say they haven't been interested, but you get to understand their body language. They won't just suddenly start running, they'll stop & start sniffing very excitedly at a particular piece of ground first. They may even start to scout around to pick up more of the scent. More often than not they'll lift their heads up for a sniff of the air & you'll see them drooling & maybe smacking their lips as they taste the scent.

If you notice Troy doing this, then clip him on lead & lead him away from temptation.

Training is important, plus a good bond with your dog, but it's always best to be on the safe side & be aware of any excessive sniffing.

Thanks very much.

Helps me to be able to look out for the behaviour and get hold of him before he does one Smile

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Mar 30 2012, 11:06

run off at anytime if he gets scent of another dog on heat?

I read about peoples dog's going running off for miles after a dog in head. I'd hate for this to happen with Troy if he just decided to 'do one' while off the lead. He really isn't scared of traffic and has no regards for it.

Scare story to get people to neutar their dogs. Of course it could happen but they can also run off after a squirril. Romeo has walked past a bitch in heat (well done to her owner for walking her doh ) and he did pay some attention but not anymore then he useally does to a pretty bitch that catches his eye. If I tell him to leave he leaves.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 11:09

shakespearesdog wrote: Romeo has walked past a bitch in heat (well done to her owner for walking her doh )

In season bitches still have to be walked. Sad As long as they are under control & the owner stays away from other dogs (as far as possible) it doesn't bother me. I used to try & take mine out at less busy times & always had them on lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Mar 30 2012, 11:37

In season bitches still have to be walked. As long as they are under control & the owner stays away from other dogs (as far as possible) it doesn't bother me. I used to try & take mine out at less busy times & always had them on lead.
What I mean is well done for walking her in the middle of the day in a busy park. He was standing around the park gates as well texting on his phone. His dog (plastic pit) wasn't happy either, kept snapping at all the dogs taking an interest in her.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 11:50

shakespearesdog wrote:
In season bitches still have to be walked. As long as they are under control & the owner stays away from other dogs (as far as possible) it doesn't bother me. I used to try & take mine out at less busy times & always had them on lead.
What I mean is well done for walking her in the middle of the day in a busy park. He was standing around the park gates as well texting on his phone. His dog (plastic pit) wasn't happy either, kept snapping at all the dogs taking an interest in her.

Rolling Eyes Idiot!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 12:15

yes its deff only a small worry memphis will pase around abit if he smells a bitch smells the ground then nose in the air on the search lol.
but no problems walking him (NO PULLING TRYING TO GET AWAY)as some will have you beleive i was told years ago that dogs can go mad with the ergh(spelling)but its all bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30 2012, 12:43

It depends on the dog.....we have had a couple of dogs at the rescue centre who have come in entire who have literally fought there way out the kennels to get to a female in season others show no interest at all....

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Mar 30 2012, 15:41

Not something I really thought about until reading offers stories. I'll just look out the the signs and hopefully we won't have a problem.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum