female staffy dry humping

3 posters

Go down

female staffy dry humping  Empty female staffy dry humping

Post by lillysmummy Wed Mar 28 2012, 21:24

Hi, this is my first post so I hope I am in the right section. We have a gorgeous female staffy that we adopted 2 months ago from the dogs home - she is approx 1 year old

She is loving and affectionate to all of us, she has settled in so well and it feels like we have had her for ever.

The only thing that is concerning me is that she dry humps the males in the house. When she does it to my husband its not a problem as he can just push her off but she also does it to my 5 year old son. When he pushes her off she gets a little agitated and sort of pins him down. She has never been aggressive when she does this.

I have a 5 year old and 9 year old daughter as well - she hasnt done this with me or them. Its not something she does very often but it scares me when she does as she was a stray when the dogs home picked her up.

She hasnt been spayed yet, she has just come out of season and we will get this done in 3 months as advised

She really is soft as anything usually - she is asleep on my lap now, curled up like a kitten, I am just a little nervous that she could get aggressive with my son when he pushes her off him - is this an aggressive thing she is doing ? he is getting upset now saying Lilly doesn't like him and he is obviously too young to understand it may be a sexual thing

Help ! we love her so much, I dont want to feel nervous of her

Thanks
lillysmummy
lillysmummy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

female staffy dry humping  Empty Re: female staffy dry humping

Post by janey Wed Mar 28 2012, 21:26

Hi & female staffy dry humping  Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

female staffy dry humping  Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
female staffy dry humping  Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
female staffy dry humping  Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
female staffy dry humping  Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
female staffy dry humping  Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
female staffy dry humping  Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28 2012, 21:33

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Well, to set your mind at rest, it isn't aggression! But it is dominance, and I'd put a stop to it if I were you.

Every time she does it, tell her "No", push her away & then turn your back on her. Ignore her totally until she's calm again. That's easy enough for you and your other half - not so easy for your children! What I would sugest is that if she tries to do it to your kids, especially the younger one, step in yourself with the "no" and then turn your daughter away so that she is effectively ignoring your dog.

It may take a while, but she'll get to understand soon enough. Spaying probably won't help in this case - training is the best way forward. I would think that you'd want to make inroads into this before 3 months anyway!

Back to top Go down

Post by lillysmummy Wed Mar 28 2012, 21:41

Hi Caryll - thanks for your reply

I thought it may be dominance, we are doing what you suggested anyway, telling her no, we put her in the garden for a bit after as well so the kids can ignore her

We had a staff before - she recently died aged 18, this didnt happen with her so its all new to me

I was just a little scared because she is so powerful, in case she went for my son and I feel bad when he said Lilly doesn't like him - we have told him thats not the case. It is so strange that she only does it with the males of the house - not the females, thats why I thought there might be a sexual motive

I think we are just going to have to persevere with her - hopefully she will get the message before too long
lillysmummy
lillysmummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28 2012, 21:48

It could also be a reaction to the rehoming. Many rescue dogs take a while to fully settle down & need firm guidelines as to what's acceptable & what isn't. It could just be that she needs firmer guidelines from all of you so that she knows her place in the family.

Good luck, I'm sure she'll settle down soon. Any chance of some pics?

P.S. So sorry to hear about your last staff. What a really good age she was. What was her name?

Back to top Go down

Post by lillysmummy Wed Mar 28 2012, 21:56

Hiya

We havent got any pics put on the computer yet apart from the one on my profile - that was taken by the dogs home when she was still there, she has a fur jacket on cos she kept shivering bless her

Our last dog was called Teale, it still makes me sad thinking of her - her back legs gave in, she was blind in one eye, she lost loads of weight - couldnt even bark any more - we finally realised it was cruel to keep her going and the vet agreed. The kids all think she is in a special hospital that we arent allowed to visit - havent got the heart to tell them Sad

When she went we said no more dogs - we had Lilly within 3 weeks ! it just didnt feel right

Your Dempsey looks gorgeous - did you have him from a pup ?
lillysmummy
lillysmummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28 2012, 22:08

Yes, he was just over 7 weeks. Looked a bit like a large Jack Russell! Laughing He's grown a bit since then!

We said the same when we lost our stafford, Bandit - no more dogs for a while. And we didn't get a dog for a few years - my oh was so attached to Bandit, But I've had a dog with me for 40+ years & it just wasn't right. So after me, my daughter & my sons had nagged my oh for a while he finally caved in. "I won't get attached to it, though" he said........famous last words, they're inseperable now!

Back to top Go down

Post by lillysmummy Wed Mar 28 2012, 22:29

he does look like a big un lol

I know what you mean - I felt a bit lost without a dog, had them since I was a baby. They're such good company and dont give you the same attitude as the kids !
lillysmummy
lillysmummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29 2012, 11:32

lillysmummy wrote: They're such good company and dont give you the same attitude as the kids !

I've got two older teenagers (19 & nearly 18) - I'd take on a problem dog any day compared to having teenage kids!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29 2012, 15:31

Hi and welcome to the forum. Great advice from Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Mar 29 2012, 19:48

hia sasha is 8 now and even now when she and my hubby are playing she some times trys to hump him Surprised a sharp 'no' stops her thou!
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down