Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss??

+2
kelpie
mrsxg
6 posters

Go down

Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss?? Empty Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss??

Post by mrsxg Sun Mar 25 2012, 19:28

Hello all Big Grin
hope you are all well!

Lola has been wearing the flea collar for the past 5 weeks now and I've just noticed that there's a bald patch where the collar is sitting at the front of her neck and some spots from scratching.
Ive taken the collar off but Im just wondering is it something to be concerned about??

Thanks xx
mrsxg
mrsxg
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss?? Empty Re: Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss??

Post by kelpie Sun Mar 25 2012, 20:02

Hi Smile I'd keep an eye on it for 24 hours, It could be where the collar has rubbed and irritated?? But if it doesn't change or gets worse then I'd phone the vets.. maybe rinse the area with some plain COLD boiled water? We've got our dogs on the flea treatment Comfortis, its a simple tablet and seems to suit them, I find it easier than spot on's and collars. I hope she gets better, soon. She's gorgeous bless her Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss?? Empty Re: Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss??

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 20:03

Yes. I won't use flea collars for precisely that reason, I'm afraid. They rub the neck hair off & can cause irritation. I'd much rather only de-flea when there are signs of fleas, and then use a good spot on treatment.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Sun Mar 25 2012, 20:05

Kelpie...How long do the tablets last??
It wasnt too tight I could still get 2 fingers through.
DH said he's noticed it for about 10days but never said anything!!

Last edited by mrsxg on Sun Mar 25 2012, 20:12; edited 1 time in total
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Mar 25 2012, 20:07

Never used a flea collar on a dog but when mum had a cat it had a flea collar and also went bald around the neck.

I wouldn't worry but use a flea treatment thats needed every few months and not the collar Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun Mar 25 2012, 20:32

The Comfortis tablets last for a month, I get mine from the vet, you can buy a couple of months at a time, and you get a loyalty card so after 6 treatments you should get a free one... we're in every month at the moment because Rolo's growing so he has to be weighed, but its worth looking into Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bob Martin Flea Collar causing hair loss?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 21:21

mrsxg wrote:It wasnt too tight I could still get 2 fingers through.

It isn't the tightness, it's the constant rubbing & the chemicals constantly in touch with the fur/skin.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 26 2012, 10:03

I suggest Advocate spot on treatment to prevent fleas and worms. Smile
Romeo has had a flea before, he caught it from our old cat, it was literally one flea. I chased it round his body and then drowned it.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:13

I wouldn't use bob martins flea collars either. It is best you use a de-flear purchased from the vets itself. Over the counter treatments for dogs and cats bought in shops do more harm than good.

I'd also recommend advocate as we use this with Tinkerbell. Only give it to her in the summer though. She has never had a flea whilst with us, but use it for the worms because she eats anything so would propably otherwise pick them up.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:22

I have just put Rockys flea treatment on him this morning, we use Effipro Spot on Treatment and he has been OK with it no bad reactions at all, touch wood. We use this every 8 weeks.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:56

Ok well Lola is at the vet on wednesday to check her neck over I'll ask then Smile
Thank you all Big Grin
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:04

shakespearesdog wrote:I suggest Advocate spot on treatment to prevent fleas and worms. Smile
Romeo has had a flea before, he caught it from our old cat, it was literally one flea. I chased it round his body and then drowned it.

Scubasteve wrote:I'd also recommend advocate as we use this with Tinkerbell. Only give it to her in the summer though. She has never had a flea whilst with us, but use it for the worms because she eats anything so would propably otherwise pick them up.

I don't use this mainly because I hate putting unnecessary chemicals on my dogs. I de-worm every 3 months using milbemax because it covers lungworm as well as round & tape worms, and I only de-flea if there is an actual problem. So far Dempsey has never had a flea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:09

I don't flea my two but i do de-worm them though, I add garlic to their food as a supplement as it's a natural de-fleaer/wormer amongst other thing

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:14

I de-worm every 3 months using milbemax because it covers lungworm as well as round & tape worms, and I only de-flea if there is an actual problem. So far Dempsey has never had a flea.
I only use Advocate every three months. I was told off for this in the past lol. Milbemax is good too but I can't find a place to buy it without a prescription. I use the advocate for the worms not the fleas.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:15

Caryll wrote:

I don't use this mainly because I hate putting unnecessary chemicals on my dogs. I de-worm every 3 months using milbemax because it covers lungworm as well as round & tape worms, and I only de-flea if there is an actual problem. So far Dempsey has never had a flea.

Same as me Caryll Smile I also use Milbemax

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:31

shakespearesdog wrote:
I de-worm every 3 months using milbemax because it covers lungworm as well as round & tape worms, and I only de-flea if there is an actual problem. So far Dempsey has never had a flea.
I only use Advocate every three months. I was told off for this in the past lol. Milbemax is good too but I can't find a place to buy it without a prescription. I use the advocate for the worms not the fleas.

But it still has the chemicals needed for killing fleas. That's why i don't use it. I get Milbemax from the vets when I need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down