grawling

3 posters

Go down

grawling Empty grawling

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 03:15

Im a bit concerned, kenny was trying to climb up from the sofa onto the fire surround, my son,who's 23 gently went to get him down and kenny grawled!! He did this once with me when i tryed to stop him humping a pillow. I used a raised but firm voice and said naughty boy, and it worked. Im really worried, what if ken is turning nasty. Sometimes he has a look in his eye that looks if he's about to turn, even tho his body launage is relaxed.

Issue 2

Ken and the cat have allways been ok, for instance, he would chase her, if she was in a corner he'd be in a playfull postion head down, bum up, tail wagging, she'd then chase him. But lately, he headbutts her. Im contantly stopping him. The thing is, i honestly dont know what he's going to do next. When kennys tired, they'll sleep next to each other sometimes or he'll take no notice.

Sad would it be ok, next time he chases the cat, to get it on camara, i could post it here, then maybe you could tell if it's aggression or play.

Back to top Go down

grawling Empty Re: grawling

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 08:40

At 9 months it's unlikely that it is aggression he is just pushing his boundaries. They all do it and it's the teenage phase. They will also seem to unlearn the basic commands and be stubborn. Just stay firm and consistant and make sure everyone enforces the rules each and every time.

A vid with the cat could be helpful but if they are used to each other I wouldn't think it was aggression. If it were you cat you hiss and display aggressive behaviour as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 09:04

Thanks jstaff, this teenage phase is hard work, do u have any tips on how to handle the chasing x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 11:59

I doubt that it's aggression, he's just pushing his luck! Just keep up with the firm corrections & he'll learn!

By all means post a video - it'll help to give an answer!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 12:17

My boy turned into a right little sod at that age. As long as you are very firm, show no fear and keep reinforcing what he already knows, you'll be fine. No dog just turns nasty for no reason, not if they've been brought up properly. He's just pushing it, we've all been there, and it DOES get better Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 16:36

thanks all

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Sun Mar 25 2012, 23:23

I try not to let my cats and staffies chase each other even though they are pals .It can be difficult because often the cats start it but it is the dogs who are told off.A staffy landing on a cat accidentally would be no fun. My sisters cat was paralysed after her boxer landed on it as they played.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
grawling Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 07:27

thanks stiofan, thats my concern, if he lands on her, he'll seriouly hurt her, x

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:38

Diesel is 11 months and can be a right old cow sometimes ! she was a bit too boisterous the other day and one of her canine teeth caught me on the hand, immediately I shouted NOOOOO !!!!!! even though it was an accident - she scarpered to her bed tail between her legs... that was it game over.
10 mins later shes givning me puppy eyes and sympathy licks !

Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:05

Sounds like you're on top of things anyway, with the firm NO just keep at it and be consistant.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:07

Jackieb wrote:Diesel is 11 months and can be a right old cow sometimes ! she was a bit too boisterous the other day and one of her canine teeth caught me on the hand, immediately I shouted NOOOOO !!!!!! even though it was an accident - she scarpered to her bed tail between her legs... that was it game over.
10 mins later shes givning me puppy eyes and sympathy licks !

Awwww, you meanie! Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 15:47

kenny d wrote:Im a bit concerned, kenny was trying to climb up from the sofa onto the fire surround, my son,who's 23 gently went to get him down and kenny grawled!! He did this once with me when i tryed to stop him humping a pillow. I used a raised but firm voice and said naughty boy, and it worked. Im really worried, what if ken is turning nasty. Sometimes he has a look in his eye that looks if he's about to turn, even tho his body launage is relaxed.

Issue 2

Ken and the cat have allways been ok, for instance, he would chase her, if she was in a corner he'd be in a playfull postion head down, bum up, tail wagging, she'd then chase him. But lately, he headbutts her. Im contantly stopping him. The thing is, i honestly dont know what he's going to do next. When kennys tired, they'll sleep next to each other sometimes or he'll take no notice.

Sad would it be ok, next time he chases the cat, to get it on camara, i could post it here, then maybe you could tell if it's aggression or play.

A Growl doesn't mean aggression its just conversation, depending on the tone and body language the same time, he should never of been aloud to chase any prey animal it will turn nasty, next there could be a accident the time after that it wouldn't be an accident.
What do you mean may he be turning nasty, they don't just do it over night you know, there is always something, and if he is turning nasty then you must of missed something behaviour wise

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Mon Mar 26 2012, 16:26

I have child gates on my bedroom and kitchen so the cats can have peace any time they want a dog free zone Smile but normally there are piles of dogs and cats on any bed or sofa they can get at. As they grow up they spend more time snoozing together and less charging around i think.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
grawling Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content