went to leave for holiday and he jumped our 2m fence!

2 posters

Go down

went to leave for holiday and he jumped our 2m fence! Empty went to leave for holiday and he jumped our 2m fence!

Post by jaymzica Tue Mar 13 2012, 00:16

Hi there

We leave our staffy eddie home alone during the week from 8 till 6 and he is fine, he has plenty to do and drink and chew on. We have done so for 4 years without a problem.
Last week we were packing our suit cases to go away for the weekend. Everytime we go away he goes to my parents place and loves it! This time we had to leave him in the year until 6pm until our house sitters arrived as my parents were coming away with us.

The night before he knew something wasnt right and the next morn wouldnt leave my side.
As soon as we put him out the back and got in the car out the front we could hear him yelping and crying. He has never done this before so i assume he thought we were leaving him. I felt terrible so we went down the street and got him a big bone from the butcher. When we got back he was in the Street! He had managed to climb over our fence and its at least 6" high! i couldn t believe it!

We ended up having to leave him inside for 5 hours and getting a family member to take him to the kennels as i didnt want him to do that while we were away with our house sitters there.
He has never acted like this before and is fine when we leave him alone during the day or at night.
I want to know if now he knows he can get over the fence will he try to do it again? he knows our daily routeen and every morn he knows its time to go outside for the day and takes himself to the back door.

Tomorrow will be our first day leaving him out the back again and i dont know if he will be the same again?

sorry for the long story i hope there is some help around

James
jaymzica
jaymzica
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

went to leave for holiday and he jumped our 2m fence! Empty Re: went to leave for holiday and he jumped our 2m fence!

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 06:22

wow! that is a big jump, lucky you came back!
it is very possible he could do that again, if he is anything like my dog though, he would probably only do it if faced with the same situation or if he saw something he wanted on the other side of the fence.
and I'm sorry I don't really have any suggestions for what to do because a 2m fence should be adequate enough!

PS welcome to the forum

Back to top Go down

went to leave for holiday and he jumped our 2m fence! Empty Re: went to leave for holiday and he jumped our 2m fence!

Post by jaymzica Tue Mar 13 2012, 06:45

yeah! he must of jumped up then put his paws on one of the beams and leaped of that! im going to extend it a little if i can.

ill see how he is when i leave for work tomorrow, im hoping its a one off as he knew we were going because of the suitcases, even the cat was acting strange!
jaymzica
jaymzica

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 06:59

If you can add on or extend the fence try having it built in at a slant similar to a prison wall. That would make certain he couldn't get out. Also make sure is nothing near the fence he can jump up on and the hop the fence

Whenever I travel I pack in a seperate room with the door closed so Suki won
t know what I am doing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 08:59

My Ty can jump our 6ft fence and has done a few times and we have done what jstaff above has said. We have put a slanted extention on the top so he cant use his back legs to help him over lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 09:51

My guess is that he knew this time was different to every day routine and decided it was not on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 09:53

this story reminded me of a border collie my mum used to have. he walked every where with her with no lead and when she went to the small town centre for her shopping he would sit outside each shop and wait for her. one day she went to the shop for some bits for their holiday and as usual took the dog. he must have known something was happening because instead of sitting nice outside waiting for her he walked into the shop to find hereo they just called her over the tannoy and she went and put him back outside. they left him with a family friend and when they came back they told my mum that they had to go to the shops every day to bring him home because he went looking for her Laughing one day he wouldnt come home he sat there all day waiting. bless him he must have looked like hatchi. on the day they came home he was no where to be found so my mum walked to the shops and there he was sat outside the supermarket waiting. she never left him again they went on holidays where they could take him after that. they are loyal and miss us when we're gone and are not stupid they know something is going on. they must feel abandonded. it makes you see how these poor abandoned ones must feel before they settle in and think of your house as home

Back to top Go down

Post by jaymzica Wed Mar 14 2012, 00:02

i put some extensions up last night i hope they help. we left like we usually do this morn for work and gave him a bone, didnt even realise we were gone! i hope that was just a one off thing. we will pack so he cant see next time!
jaymzica
jaymzica

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Mar 14 2012, 10:21

Well I hope you have a good holiday after all that Tongues Romeos never jumped the fence but he smashed right through once going after a fox. I couldn't believe it, it looked like a cartoon. I was going to take a picture but my grandpa fixed it yesterday.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by jaymzica Wed Mar 14 2012, 21:54

he seems ok now and back to normal, he slept heaps after being in the kennel for the 4 days but seems ok now Smile
jaymzica
jaymzica

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down