What do you think about clicker training

2 posters

Go down

What do you think about clicker training Empty What do you think about clicker training

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:35

I have been watching and reading about this sort of training
I think it might be a good idea as my kids will be a little slow on "marking" her positive behaviour. at least if they can click her and then stuff around getting a treat out of their pockets the moment isnt lost

has anyone used this training before?

Man i am starting to feel like a forum stalker pmsl

Back to top Go down

What do you think about clicker training Empty Re: What do you think about clicker training

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:38

Don't worry about stalking! Ask anything you want!

Clicker training works for some & not others. By all means give it a try (I recommend a book called "when pigs fly" - it's about stubborn dogs but it gives a really good insight into clicker, and it's funny too!). When it does work it can be quite spectacular!

Back to top Go down

What do you think about clicker training Empty Re: What do you think about clicker training

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:41

Av thought a this but if a have a pocket full a treats she walks by my side altho she will jump after a few step's trying to let me no she want's another one lol Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:45

I guess there is no hard in trying it.
I just think that with 3 small kids they wont all be able to say and do the same things with her when they are "training" her... so if they have a common CLICK.. it might be easier and less confusing for the pup
I will try it and see what happens

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:47

We are still trying the clicker training but it seems as seany said a pocket full of treats works just as well, Milly likes both as she gets a treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:50

Treats do work but she will jump when walkin the little wiedo Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:53

seany boy wrote:Av thought a this but if a have a pocket full a treats she walks by my side altho she will jump after a few step's trying to let me no she want's another one lol Big Grin

Treats on their own work fine for some things - heal work, sit, down etc. But the clicker lets you do more comlicated things and you end up doing away with the treats & the click is the reward.

As I said, when it works it can be spectacular, but not all dogs will take to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:54

i will be happy if i can just get her to sit and walk on a lead.... with out a tug of war going on. so the kids can walk her and I know she isnt going to pull them over etc.
I plan on doing alot of work with her over the 7 week school break
YES 7 Blo&DY weeks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:56

Tell me about it! We had 8 weeks last year cause both mine have gone into the 6th form & they had a longer break than the rest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:58

OMG I will be a nutter at the end of 7 weeks with 3 kids and a new puppy...
Perfect time to get her tho with xmas and then the kids at home for 7 weeks.. she should really settle in well and hopefully not form to many "puppy" naughty habbits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:02

Mel Skora wrote:not form to many "puppy" naughty habbits.

You hope!! She'll probably teach the kids some new bad habits! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:14

no one can teach my little one anything...
she has had a broken arm, stitches
2 x concussions and 2 trips in an ambulance with asthma/croup.
she is a dare devile to the max and every day, EVERY day there is something new....
today she painted her feet with my makeup foundation and walked thru the house! it never ends... i have friends on Facebook that just wait for my
"Calahni" moment of the day post!

ahhhh the joys of the 3rd child Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:15

Thank God I've only got 2 then! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:16

stop there... it is all to hard lol

wait till u see a pic of her... blue eyes blonde hair.... butter would not melt in her sweet little mouth.
she is a classic and much loved but hard work !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:17

Ah, the angel with the broken halo! rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:21

She owes Santa about 3 years worth of gifts.....
her halo is tripping her over!
I pray the dog settles her down a little pmsl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:53

Hi I use a clicker.
I think they are great aids for communitcating to a dog the split second that they are giving the desirable behaviour.
I am only at the early stages of using the clicker. I am using it at the moment for tricks. I click when I get the desired behaviour then I treat.
I am now at a stage where I only give a treat for every 2 clicks.
Im a big fan of these and was amazed how much quicker my dog has managed to get what I want him to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 21:15

Hi Bluestaffblue
great to hear that your clicker training is going so well.
I cant wait to give it a go.
I have another 20 sleeps till i pick my baby girl up.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Dec 04 2010, 08:56

Mel Skora wrote:Hi Bluestaffblue
great to hear that your clicker training is going so well.
I cant wait to give it a go.
I have another 20 sleeps till i pick my baby girl up.

and counting! Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 04 2010, 11:54

Yes I am counting as are the kids...
Today my Husband put up a new gate... the kids were asking a lot of questions.. we told them we wanted to make sure the naughty cat from next door stays out of our yard...
tomorrow we are blocking off under the deck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 12:02

Its so exciting isnt it? I had so many worries about my pups health and delays getting him home, but the prep and anticipation were so high. Its hard work while they're little and you're constantly cleaning up poo and stopping them from getting into tight spaces and need eyes in the back of your head! All worth it though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 12:06

Mel Skora wrote:.. we told them we wanted to make sure the naughty cat from next door stays out of our yard...

Oooh, sneaky!!! Wink

Shontelle wrote:Its so exciting isnt it? I had so many worries about my pups health and delays getting him home, but the prep and anticipation were so high. Its hard work while they're little and you're constantly cleaning up poo and stopping them from getting into tight spaces and need eyes in the back of your head! All worth it though Smile

Bit like toddlers, really! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Nichole Sun Dec 05 2010, 16:13

Clicker training is awesome. When I first got Sadie I wasn't a huge believer in the idea. I was a little leery and thought it would be cumbersome but now I have seen the error of my ways and both my girls are clicker trained.

Here are a couple of videos of my girls showing off their obedience.
This one is of Sadie and I am using the clicker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-YTNv-An8

This one is of Violet and I am using my mouth as a clicker. Most people who clicker train graduate to tongue/mouth clicks out of sheer laziness and convenience. I highly recommend starting and using a regular clicker for a good while to get your dog conditioned to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TsMWpyl_eg
Nichole
Nichole
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sadie & Violet
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch x 2
Support total : 0

http://www.niroha.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 16:41

Great videos Nichole
Very impressive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 16:43

I've known many dogs/handlers who swear by clicker training. I was talking to a lady who was putting on a clicker display at crufts 2 years ago, and she said that when it works it's spectacular, but when it doesn't work it's also spectacular!! Laughing

I wonder how many of those when it doesn't work are failures because the handler's doing it wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nichole Sun Dec 05 2010, 16:52

Caryll wrote:

I wonder how many of those when it doesn't work are failures because the handler's doing it wrong?

That is often the case. The dog recognizes the click as "i did something good" and if you happen to click at the wrong time that means you're also clicking the wrong action. Timing is everything but like anything else takes practice to perfect.
Nichole
Nichole

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 16:59

Nichole wrote:
Caryll wrote:

That is often the case. The dog recognizes the click as "i did something good" and if you happen to click at the wrong time that means you're also clicking the wrong action. Timing is everything but like anything else takes practice to perfect.

Can you recommend any books to help people on here with clicker training?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nichole Sun Dec 05 2010, 17:00

Yanno I have a rally obedience class today with Violet. I'll ask the trainers there if they have any they'd recommend.
Nichole
Nichole

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 17:00

Thanks!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 17:14

Cairo learnt mostly everything she knows with clicker training.I found it very good Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 22:17

Great videos Nichole.. They are very nice dogs you have there..
You can tell that they are well loved and you spend alot of time with them.
Did the 2 girls fight?. I am just asking becuase alot of my friends have female dogs too?.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nichole Sun Dec 05 2010, 22:47

Thanks! I do love them very much. And yes I have two little ladies.
I have not experienced any serious scuffles between my girls, but because I'm paranoid all high prize items (like dinner, and raw bones) get fed to them in their crates and they come out when they are done. Lately they have asked to come out when they are half done so they can do tradesies. I think it's extra cute when they do that.

All other goodies (right now they're gnawing on some tough chew things) arent as highly prized and they chew them side by side, swapping occasionally because apparently it tastes better when the others saliva is all over it.
Nichole
Nichole

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 22:53

PMSL.. that is gross lol..
I love the pic of Violet holding Sadies little paw after her operation.
That just melts my heart.. it is those kind of pics that i will be looking for..
the loving moments you just cant get with any other pet.
Sadie is the boss tho?.. when it comes down to it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 23:02

Nichole wrote:it tastes better when the others saliva is all over it.

Nice! Dogs love really odd things! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nichole Sun Dec 05 2010, 23:06

It's really hard to say. This is a question I have asked myself many times and there isnt a clear cut answer to with these two. If Vi wants something Sadie wants, Sadie waits till Vi gets done or distracted to steal it. Same thing when the roles are versed. No one steals or bullies. (well Violet tries to bully Sadie by barking at her. non stop. bark bark bark - hoping Sadie will walk away from it soon. It doesnt work)

Sadie is more independent and more into ME and is very secure in our bond together - she isnt a jealous dog. She loves Violet but Violet returns that love to Sadie 10 fold. She really looks up to Sadie and sticks to her like glue when they have outings. So in that sense Sadie is the leader. Sadie goes where she wants, Violet goes wherever Sadie goes.
Nichole
Nichole

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 23:24

As long as they have it worked out all is well.
They do look like they love each other very much.
they are a credit to you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down