steve76
Ben
janey
2qk4u
8 posters

Go down

Problem while out walking Empty Problem while out walking

Post by 2qk4u Fri Mar 02 2012, 18:39

About 2 weeks ago I was walking Sasha and she started to behave a bit strange, she would go left or go right but not go ahead she also lay down on the ground for no reason, I just put it down to a bit of disorientation or just having a moody walk.
My son had her out for a walk yesterday and he rang me to say Sasha was refusing to walk, she was lying down or tryin to go backwards, I went to collect them in the car and my son said he had to pick Sasha up carry her to where I was meeting him.
Today was a lovely day so I thought Id bring her out and we were fine until she realized we were heading towards the entrance to our housing estate , she dropped and started to bite at the lead, I got her back up and moving, we made it about 10 more feet and she dropped again and rolled over, I got her going again and this behavior happened a couple of time more until I got her out onto the main road, she was pulling away from the traffic while walking. If a car or truck is passing she looks back at it and cowers away a bit.
She seem to have developed a fear of the noise of passing traffic, when I went to pick her up I was driving a van and when I pulled up she stared at the front of the van and was hesitant about coming over to me.
She has walked this main road plenty of times and sometimes showed signs of being intimidated by the noise, I always put it down to her just being so young and though she will get used to it as she grows up, she is now almost 10 months old and I think she is afraid.

Has anyone had the same experience ?
Should I keep walking her as normal hoping she gets over it or should I avoid places with lots of traffic ?
2qk4u
2qk4u
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sasha - Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 3 & 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Problem while out walking Empty Re: Problem while out walking

Post by janey Fri Mar 02 2012, 18:46

I would take her back to basics with it, use treats and toys as a distraction. Personally I wouldn't pick her up, when she lies down or starts pulling use treats to get her in a sit position, keep her there for a bit and repeat. Try not to act anxious yourself, just make it the norm, she should in time learn that its not a big deal. There funny things aren't they?!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Mar 02 2012, 18:46

I would take her in and make sure that nothing is wrong. Sounds a bit strange and I have never had that experience even after picking up my dogs from the airport etc. (got frosty about that age and he was flown accross the country).
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Fri Mar 02 2012, 19:03

marley on occasion has done the stop drop and roll and refuses to go any further, so all i did was turn back and go a different route, i have found he doesn't like going the same walk every time. so now i vary the routes and now we have no problem
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Mar 02 2012, 19:11

oooo I feel your pain ! I had all this with Diesel, from the age of 4 months she was spooked by a noise and would refuse point blank to walk further than 5 yards from our front or back door.

It has taken AGES [shes 9 months now] to get her to somewhat normal now. She still on occasion cowers if a car/truck/bus drives past fast...but I have a kong packed with peanut butter I keep in my pocket I can whip out and distract her if I see a truck or bus coming.

Its basicaly try, try and try again. Lots of encouragement. Dont force her to go further than she wants to.... maby try a different route [this is what worked for me]. I even used to put her in the car and drive to where i wanted to take her ! .. its basically about building their confidence again.

Diesel still isnt 100% but shes getting there and its nice to walk her now. Smile

She enjoys it too now Smile and is even walking nicely to heel.

good luck x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Fri Mar 02 2012, 20:05

may just be as people have said above but i know having murfy going deaf certain pitches of diffrent noises spook him so may be a ear problem im not saying shes going deaf but an ear infection can magnify things i know as i am partially deaf and as dogs ears are lot more sensitive than ours if she has any ear problems can magnify things i dont know
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 2qk4u Fri Mar 02 2012, 20:45

Thanks for the replies, I dont force her to go but I was a bit unsure about letting her dictate the walk. Sasha has never responded to treats when out walking, she is just happy to be on her walk and doesnt let anything distract from it. I dont think there is any problem with her ears/hearing, ill keep an eye on it.
When she droped today I just kept talking to her and rubbing her, at one point I sat down beside her and told her she was a good girl as I didnt want her to get stressed.
Im between two minds weather to keep at it as normal or to let her do her own walk close to home, Im afraid if I dont keep going she will never walk in a busy place again.
2qk4u
2qk4u

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sasha - Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 3 & 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 00:26

Suki was like this as well with cars and espically trains. She would go to a certain point stop and pull like mad for home. I just kept patient, didn't force the issue and would try to bring her a little farther each day and bribe her with a treat or toy.

When she stopped I would have her sit and do a short training session. This was to get her to focus on something other than the noise while getting used to hearing it. When I was finished I would try to go a little farther.

It took a couple of weeks but she is fine with cars trains and everything else now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Mar 03 2012, 10:42

had the same with marley to the point it was nearly impossible to walk near roads. I sat at a bus stop with him a few times over a couple of weeks and his nerves disapeard as the noisy old busses pulled up and he realised people were getting off them which he wanted to greet. few months down the line I have the opposite problem in that he has no road sence at all. he will sit before we cross the road but I have to keep a tight leash near roads as he will be wandering into them. never easy is it Rolling Eyes
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by matt h Sun Mar 04 2012, 17:07

I live next to a main road, and had the same issue. As soon as i closed the front door and he heard traffic he cowered and wouldn't move. I carried him over to the field and got him used to walking in the open air. Then gradually walked him home. after a few days he was happily walking home and before i knew it he couldnt wait to go out on walks. Now the traffic, even buses dont affect him. The key thing i think was letting him explore and walk home. Then going out became less of an issue. Smile.
matt h
matt h
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Orby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by matt h Sun Mar 04 2012, 17:12

Also i found that if i was to kneel down and give encuragement he responded with a wag of the tail..lol to stay stood up was pointless as he just didnt listen. Smile
matt h
matt h

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Orby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down