Puppy play

4 posters

Go down

Puppy play Empty Puppy play

Post by eogh Tue Feb 28 2012, 13:22

Hi

I'm new to here I've two beautiful staffs two year old Mimi and 12 week old Penny. they seem to get on great but I'm bit worried about how rough they play . I've been told staffs do play rougher the must dogs but I don't want them to hurt each other. Or for playing to turn into fighting.

It seems to be more the puppy biting pretty hard and pulling out of mimi's cheeks and ears . Mimi doesn't seem to mind and just pushes penny away but even dough mimi always loves to play with other dogs I'm afraid she'll lose her cool if the puppy keeps it up . Is this just normal play or should i be worried.

Any help would be great
eogh
eogh
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mimi and Penny
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years old and 10months
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Puppy play Empty Re: Puppy play

Post by janey Tue Feb 28 2012, 13:29

Hi & Puppy play Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Puppy play Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Puppy play Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Puppy play Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Puppy play Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Puppy play Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Puppy play Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 14:07

hello and welcome to the forum from me and billy

wave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 14:17

Hi and welcome from Tyson & me

Back to top Go down

Post by georgiegem Tue Feb 28 2012, 14:34

Hello and welcome from me & Heston....I find that most terriers tend to play quite rough- my Mum's Borders look like they are about to end each others life at times >Smile It is always accompanied by lots of tail wagging and there is a definate end to the game. This is certainly true of Heston also, although at 5 months old he is still learning about game play manners.
When I meet another owner/dog who is happy to play I always keep an eye on him. If they are taking it in turns to chase/rough house then it is going well, but if one dog it repeatedly dominating or signalling to end then I step in before tempers fray. Heston will often push the game too far by ignoring the signal to stop or forgetting his own strength! When this happens I will make him go into a down and keep him there until he calms down (with Penny being younger time out in the crate is a good alternative).
In some respects you are lucky to have Mimi as a role model as she is also a Staffy and a good play partner/teacher, but don't forget that Penny will need to learn that not all breeds enjoy a good 'Snort-fest' Big Grin Just keep an eye out for when Mimi signals the end to a game and if Penny respects this, if she repeatedly ignores it then you should end the game for her- if anything to give Mimi a break!!!
Under yours and Mimi's guidance Penny will learn as she grows up. Good Luck!!!
georgiegem
georgiegem
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Heston
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by eogh Tue Feb 28 2012, 17:13

Thanks georgiegem

The crate is a blessing never use one with mimi but after read about them on this and advise from pennys breeder i got one for each of them and there great such peace of mind penny is almost house trained and mimi hasn't been able to pull the living room apart lol
eogh
eogh

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 17:21

puppies learn doggy etiquette and how to play nice by being with older dogs becasue the older dog will tell them off when needed. they do play rough though my 2 pull each other round the room by their faces but never hurt each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Feb 28 2012, 17:42

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

The link below shows the dogs body language and signs to watch out for. Hope this helps.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14672-dogs-body-language?highlight=body+language
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 18:32

_julie_ wrote:puppies learn doggy etiquette and how to play nice by being with older dogs becasue the older dog will tell them off when needed. they do play rough though my 2 pull each other round the room by their faces but never hurt each other.

My two too lol .. Vinnie will grab skye by the collar and try and drag her around!! Lol ofcourse we stop it tho lol ... My two will play rough but i know when to step in and stop it before it gets heated

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 19:29

staffy-lover89 wrote:
_julie_ wrote:puppies learn doggy etiquette and how to play nice by being with older dogs becasue the older dog will tell them off when needed. they do play rough though my 2 pull each other round the room by their faces but never hurt each other.

My two too lol .. Vinnie will grab skye by the collar and try and drag her around!! Lol ofcourse we stop it tho lol ... My two will play rough but i know when to step in and stop it before it gets heated

i think half of it is watching they dont get too giddy or go too far

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 19:31

Yeaaah with my two i can tell when its likely to turn heated they both get very loud n i stop it when they start using the chairs as trampolirs running too n froe lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:25

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. The link on body language kathytake2 sent you should help you alot.

Back to top Go down

Post by eogh Thu Mar 01 2012, 10:56

Thank guys . Really help put my mind at ease Smile
eogh
eogh

Status Status :

Male