Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump?

+10
Skullkandi
Pado
brophski
alexiastra
Kathy
Jackieb
CMR
shakespearesdog
Andy
Gee
14 posters

Go down

Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? Empty Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump?

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 08:53

Hi all,

I am looking into building a fence so Troy can join me in the garden when I am relaxing in the summer and reading a book etc Smile

I don't want it too tall but tall enough so Troy can't jump it. Any idea's on to how tall it should be? My neighbour has 4 cat's and even though he seems like he wants to play, i don't want him bolting over the fence. I was thinking 3-4 foot?

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? Empty Re: Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump?

Post by Andy Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:13

4ft isnt high enough I'm afraid ... unless you perhaps put a foot or two of trellis ontop Wink

My whole garden has a 6footer all the way round Smile .... stops Max getting out, and anyone getting in Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? Empty Re: Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump?

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:27

Wow, 6ft!

My garden is very odd, there is no real divide between mine and my neighbours except for a very small foot path. I didn't want my garden to look as if it is completely divided and cut off from the world.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:30

This was from a standing position ... no run up !!!

Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? J2
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:35

Great looking pic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:38

Nice shot lol

How tall is your Staffy? He look's bigger than mine. I see what you mean about the run up though.

Hmm..I was thinking some fencing like this so that I can still see out and not feel so secluded:

Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? Cedar-fences-3

My garden is so small though, I'm scared it is going to look stupid.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:41

Its not jumping over the fence you have to worry about. Its smashing through it. Straight Face
Theres a big hole in our fence (and a bush!) at the back now that Romeo smashed through chasing a fox. I have to watch him now to make sure he doesn't go into my neighbours garden.
Romeo can jump up to my head with no run up and i'm 5.7 so a 4ft fence wouldn't be tall enough.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:46

Hmmm okay.

I'm going to get some shots of my garden so you can see what I mean. If it is going to look too stupid I might have to forget the idea.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Feb 22 2012, 09:47

Gee wrote:Nice shot lol

How tall is your Staffy? He look's bigger than mine. I see what you mean about the run up though.

Hmm..I was thinking some fencing like this so that I can still see out and not feel so secluded:

Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? Cedar-fences-3

My garden is so small though, I'm scared it is going to look stupid.

Thats quite a good type of fence, in that it can be repaired quickly and easily, but if a staffy can see through, they will do their utmost to get through! and you dont want to see what a determined staffy can do to a nice new fence Straight Face

I like doing things once, and doing them right ... so I wouldnt build a fence that Max "may or may not" be able to escape from doh there wouldnt be much point Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 10:09

Yeah I understand the points you have made.

Hmmm, got some thinking to do. I'll get some pictures and maybe a small video clip so you can see what I mean.

I only have a small front garden as I live in an end terrace back-to-back.

Thanks.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CMR Wed Feb 22 2012, 10:21

just to add to you worries Big Grin, I've seen staffies dig their way out under the fence.

my suggestin is find someone with terriers who's dogs never escaped and check out what's what. if you're after a smal pretty fence you'll be risking dissapoinent
CMR
CMR
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 10:32

My garden is flagged so will be fine. I was going to turf some of it. He would never be left in the garden unattended anyway.

But yeah, looks like it would need to be a 6ft fence or nowt lol.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Feb 22 2012, 10:56

Put barbed wire round it! Laughing
Saying that Romeo walks through barbed wire in the park-makes me cringe to watch.
Also, Troy has the same harness as him! Although Romeos is caked in mud atm, I need to clean it. Straight Face

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Feb 22 2012, 10:58

Dont discount the idea of a bit of trellis on top of a smaller fence ... the visual effect of trellis to a dog can be the same as a solid fence ..ie: just makes the obsticle too high Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:05

Andy wrote:Dont discount the idea of a bit of trellis on top of a smaller fence ... the visual effect of trellis to a dog can be the same as a solid fence ..ie: just makes the obsticle too high Wink

thats what we have, although billy does not try and escape

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:09

Kaos wouldnt even attempt to jump a 3ft fence tbh lol but Ty can and has jumped a 6 ft fence by jumping and pulling himself up and over. What we have had to do is put trellising on top of out 6ft fence but sloping inwards so he cant pull himself over.....it depends on the dog, u may have to make adjustments as and when lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:14

Gee wrote: I was thinking 3-4 foot?

Any self respecting staff or staff x will be able to clear that from a standing start! I would say a minimum of 6' to effectively stop a staff from getting over it, but ideally you'll need to train him to not jump it! If you're really worried about the cats next door, I'd supervise him in the garden & teach him a really strong "Stay!"

My old boy, Bandit could clear a 5' fence without touching it at all, and would get over higher obstacles by using a mixture of leaping & climbing/scrambling!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:59

Andy wrote:Dont discount the idea of a bit of trellis on top of a smaller fence ... the visual effect of trellis to a dog can be the same as a solid fence ..ie: just makes the obsticle too high Wink

Yeah, this sounds like a better idea and won't feel as secluded.

blaze wrote:Kaos wouldnt even attempt to jump a 3ft fence tbh lol but Ty can and has jumped a 6 ft fence by jumping and pulling himself up and over. What we have had to do is put trellising on top of out 6ft fence but sloping inwards so he cant pull himself over.....it depends on the dog, u may have to make adjustments as and when lol

He doesn't seem to jump very high when I tease him with his toys Tongues But I guess if he is determined and wants to get somewhere and has a running jump he could jump a lot higher.

Caryll wrote:
Gee wrote: I was thinking 3-4 foot?

Any self respecting staff or staff x will be able to clear that from a standing start! I would say a minimum of 6' to effectively stop a staff from getting over it, but ideally you'll need to train him to not jump it! If you're really worried about the cats next door, I'd supervise him in the garden & teach him a really strong "Stay!"

My old boy, Bandit could clear a 5' fence without touching it at all, and would get over higher obstacles by using a mixture of leaping & climbing/scrambling!

I think he just wants to play with the cat's I'm not sure. But he is always looking for them when we leave and return to the house. I have been teaching him stay. I make him sit and stay when entering the house, rooms and going up the stairs, just to reinforce pack leadership.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Feb 22 2012, 12:08

We have 6 ft fence all the way round, but not only that , also bamboo screening to hide gaps ! The screening is 2 m high.

My Neighbous have GSD's x 5 so I don't want them in or my Diesel out !
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 15:33

Don't leave him alone in the garden unless you plan to get a real fence that he can't jump over, break through, or dig under. Staffords are real escape artists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:01

Just bear in mind that it can only be up to 3 metres high legally. I would hate for you to get into one of those legal wrangles about fence heights. They can go on for years!!

What Is The Maximum Height Of A Garden Fence?
Maximum heght of 2.5 to 3 meters can be applicable to a fence uk.ask.com
What is the maximum height allowed for a fence in your garden?

In the UK what is the maximum height for a rear garden fence adjacent to public pavement?
The six foot rule applies to the rear and sides of your property . You should not erect a fence/structure greater than four feet to the front of your property, as a general rule. Check the planning details with your local authority. If the circumstances permit, you may be able to apply for planning permission to erect a higher fence. Further, you will have to check is there are any easements on/off the land. If there is an easement (this is a public right of way) then you must make it possible for people to use this facility. Finally, check the dead to your property, this will detail the permission given for fence/hedge height erection. uk.answers.yahoo.com
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:05

Gee wrote:
I was thinking 3-4 foot?

Lol! Sorry but I really did lol!
My 7month pup Dora can head butt me from standing if I'm just looking down at her Laughing
Though to be fair she already has much longer legs than your doggy.

Luckily she hasn't shown much interest in getting out of the garden - and we are moving house soon to a garden with a taller fence (not the only reason we are moving - haha!)

Also I always supervise her when she is in the garden.
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:22

I wouldn't worry about your fence I've seen a video with a staffie that clearly jumps a 6ft one, owner seem a bit stupid, but it shows the power in their jump.

https://youtu.be/_eBQhjnlusE

I just can't believe they would want the dog jumping the fence, but says it all really.
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:29

That dog could have seriously hurt himself, not funny at all Surprised

Last edited by kathytake2 on Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp mistake)
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:31

blimey! big jump! he could have hurt himself on the washing line though Sad

owner does seem a bit stoopid
alexiastra
alexiastra

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:42

alexiastra wrote:blimey! big jump! he could have hurt himself on the washing line though Sad

owner does seem a bit stoopid

Maybe we could get the owner to jump the fence, maybe he would get caught on the way back over!!! lol

Worse thing is the child asks for a go at the end!
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Wed Feb 22 2012, 17:36

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 02:37; edited 1 time in total

Pado

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Wed Feb 22 2012, 18:11

6ft- 7ft Big Grin
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Wed Feb 22 2012, 18:17

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 02:37; edited 1 time in total

Pado

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 18:27

Minimum 6ft is my guess

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Feb 22 2012, 19:23

lynne wrote:

thats what we have, although billy does not try and escape

We also have this but on top of a 6 footer as we have raised planters in front of the fence. They still have seen how high they can get and it is frightening. If they were left to it, I'm sure they could find a way. Filled in a few holes too in the back corner where there is another dog they have tried to get to (I think just to play with though). However, if he is only with you it might be ok to have a shorter fence. Does he stay with you or want to roam?
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Feb 22 2012, 20:23

Pado wrote:
Andy wrote:This was from a standing position ... no run up !!!

BYW - Impressive shot of Max !!! .... he's so muscular and fit.

Cheers bud Wink .. that was few months back, he's a little bigger still now Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 22 2012, 20:38

Thanks for all the replies and height restrictions.

Not something I am going to do immediately, would be a few months but looking into it and gathering information now.

Cheers Smile

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IckleMini Wed Feb 22 2012, 21:09

Andy wrote:This was from a standing position ... no run up !!!

Building a fence - How high to ensure Staffy can't jump? J2

That is one awesome looking dog Big Grin
IckleMini
IckleMini

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rommel
Dog(s) Ages : 18 June 2011
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Feb 22 2012, 21:12

Thanx Smile
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Wed Feb 22 2012, 21:32

Wow max is so impressive!! Has he got like that from pulling or was he always nice and muscular?
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Feb 22 2012, 22:46

Bit of both really, good ginetics and good work/play/rest/feed routine Big Grin

Gee, soz for kinda hi-jackin ya thread it wasnt me
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Wed Feb 22 2012, 23:15

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 02:36; edited 1 time in total

Pado

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :

Back to top Go down

Post by IckleMini Thu Feb 23 2012, 07:44

Andy - do you mind if I post that picture of Max on a Facebook group I belong to "Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Wiltshire"?
IckleMini
IckleMini

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rommel
Dog(s) Ages : 18 June 2011
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 23 2012, 08:09

My old girl was very clever, she jumped up on to 1 wall then to the higher ajoining wall to get out, costing me a small fortune in vets fee's. Also, kenny, we just discovered has been digging a nice hole to get under the fench. Theres a bitch on heat just down the street lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Thu Feb 23 2012, 08:13

Personally Bruno has tried to clear a fence yet....................... But my old neighobour has a 6ft fence and their staffy is smaller in size to mine and it can get over , so i guess 7ft with a trelis (sp?) might do it Smile
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 23 2012, 08:52

looking at the original post (I haven't read through them all sorry if I'm repeating)
I saw that you just wanted this so your staffy could be out in the garden with you.

well I think if you're going to always be there to supervise then a small 4-4.5 ft fence should be fine. its just if you are leaving him alone that you would need to find something more secure

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Feb 23 2012, 09:02

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah he would be out in the garden with me, wouldn't be unsupervised and would be used for letting him out just before bed to go for a pee (not to replace walks).

Thanks.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Feb 23 2012, 09:02

IckleMini wrote:Andy - do you mind if I post that picture of Max on a Facebook group I belong to "Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Wiltshire"?

Yeah no prob ... and thanx for askin first thumbs up Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down