snapping constantly :(

+2
Kathy
krik1690
6 posters

Go down

snapping constantly :( Empty snapping constantly :(

Post by krik1690 Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:17

Im sure im gonna here the same thing that i always here like ignore the pup, put him out for 10 mins, tap him etc... Nothing is working atal im tryin everything and nothings working. He can be very agressive and is always snapping. Hes just over 4 months and his teeth is just starting to fall out. What should o do???
krik1690
krik1690
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : conan
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

snapping constantly :( Empty Re: snapping constantly :(

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:25

get something cold and relatively har for the dog to chew. i've heard frozen carrots mentioned. the dog needs something to chew that is soothing. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:31

Thanx matt. Sick of people telling me the same old * that only works for some dogs. He was the dominant one of the pups an is always biting me, hes not just mouthing but snapping. And want it out of him asap for i have a 1 year old niece visits often.
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:32

a teething puppy will nip and chew. giving the pup something safe soothing to chew, is the best way to minimize undesirable mouthiness, nipping, chewing furniture etc. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:33

Frozen carrots worked for Billy, anything frozen will help cause it soothes them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:34

my pleasure thumbs up hopefully a chew will help distract him. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Agree with Matt, but also, I hope you haven't 'tapped' your dog. It's only doing something that is very natural to it & doesn't understand that it isn't right to do it to humans.

Keep up with the "No" and turning away. If he carries on, put him outside or in his crate until he's calm. He's still very young & will learn eventually. Teething is a very stressful time for dogs & he'll feel the need to chew/bite on anything he can to get rid of the discomfort. Give him plenty to chew on (stag bars/frozen carrots & bananas/kongs etc) and he'll get there eventually.

Never allow any form of nipping/snapping by using the above method & he'll get there. Honestly! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Lots of cold treats and always turn around and ignore him when he nips. Teething is painfull and he is just acting out

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:39

If i ignore hime he bites againg and if i put him out as soon as he comes in he does it again lol
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 12:43

lil' bugger just needs some time. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 13:15

Nipping was a MAJOR issue with my girl as a Pup and the usual turning away and ignoring which is suggested was not helpful for us at all, so I can relate in part to your issue. I tried and tried but to no avail.

What helped me was to have a tie-out line in the back yard, and a leash attatched to my heavy entertainment unit inside [a crate would work equally well, if you use a crate] When she was nipping and mouthing ( which hurts with those sharp puppy teeth, not to mention causing a lot of holes in clothing ) depending on if we were inside or outside I would calmly attach her to the line/leash, tell her NO and walk away...........making sure that I could see her to make sure she was still safe and ok, and she could see me but was not recieving any attention for unwanted behaviours. Once she calmed down I would let her off and if she started again, she would be put back on the line/leash and repeat again. It did'nt stop straight away, but I do believe this is what got us through the tough times. I am not suggesting you chain your dog for a great period of time, just a few minutes for them to settle and get the message....and never leaving them unattended while restrained.

What works for "most" dogs does not always work for others.
You need to find what works for you in your situation, while giving your dog the right message

Just remember they are still babies and need to learn the rules. They need stimulation, play, excersize and of course as mentioned above, things to chew. Try to remain calm and consistent and things will get better.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 11 2012, 13:30

You may want to try using a frozen Kong for the teething problem. You can get these from Amazon relatively cheeply see the link below which is a small size one. Just stuff it full of food or treats and pop into the freezer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Kong-Red-Dog-Chew/dp/B002XGAVIA/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1328966848&sr=1-3

or this is a large size

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-raquo-Extreme-Black-Large/dp/B003M4C1GW/ref=sr_1_20?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1328966848&sr=1-20
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Feb 11 2012, 14:14

I swore by frozen natural yogurt in a kong

Diesel loved it and would chew it for ages, also when she did nip we basically said a very firm NO and put her in her bed

Staffys hate being ignored and Diesel would always look terribly sorry.

Hang in there x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Feb 11 2012, 14:25

you have ro remember his a pup and they dont just change over now it's about being comsistent is the only way with any dog bred.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 15:13

Very good avice already given. All I can add is that this time last year I was going through the same thing. It DOES get better eventually and this phase will be a mere memory soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 15:41

krik1690 wrote:If i ignore hime he bites againg and if i put him out as soon as he comes in he does it again lol

You must totally ignore him - don't even look at him. If he carries on, put him outside/in his crate for a few minutes, or like loopy says, clip his lead on & make him sit somewhere until he's calm (not a method I've used, or would particularly like, but if it works, fine!). You must make no interraction with him at all until he's calm.

And remember that he's a pup - a baby - he doesn't yet understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by AzzynCav Sat Feb 11 2012, 21:01

For something soothing to chew on, I gave Tia a dish towel that was tied in a knot, soaked in water and placed in the freezer.

She seemed to really like it.
AzzynCav
AzzynCav
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Sat Feb 11 2012, 21:18

I was advised not to tap as it encourages nipping & shyness with being touched Smile

I found that ignoring and walking away from her worked, until she persisted, then I collared & leaded her up and temporarily restricted her freedom around the house (5-10 mins @ a time) this one really did work.

And obviously of teething is in progress, something to chew, mine wouldn't touch carrots though, I went through quite a few tug ropes and decided this was not a viable option so opted for the KONG and she loves it! Smile
Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
snapping constantly :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down