janey
Irene
Kathy
tobystaff
11 posters

Go down

Rubbish recall Empty Rubbish recall

Post by tobystaff Wed Feb 08 2012, 13:14

Hello everyone I'm new here and looking for some advice. As you can see by the topic title, my 2 year old Staff, Toby, has rubbish recall when out on walks and when there are many distractions. If there are no other dogs or people about he will come back (all be it in his own time). But if there are dogs about he will run full pelt over to them and start chasing them about wanting to play. As you can imagine this is annoying to other dog owners. I've tried taking treats out but he just isnt bothered about them once he gets outside. Tried squeaky toys etc but again he just isnt interested. He'd rather sniff a patch of grass or something.

Any advice/tips much appreciated.

tobystaff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Rubbish recall Empty Re: Rubbish recall

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 14:15

Try using a long line (about 50' - you can get them on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-ft-Long-Dog-TRAINING-Lead-LARGE-Various-Colours-/140555982900?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item6673376c82). Clip it on when you get to the park, but let him trail it around. Make sure that you are always withing easy reach of the end, of course! Then try calling him back as soon as you see another dog & if he doesn't respond, you can pick up the line & reel him in!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 14:15

P.S. Ooops, welcome to the forum! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by tobystaff Wed Feb 08 2012, 15:29

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using one of those 8 metre Flexi leads at the moment.

But how do I get his attention? He doesnt respond to treats and is only bothered with toys if I'm throwing it for him to chase.

tobystaff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 08 2012, 16:14

Agree with Caryll try a long line, have you tried using a clicker. Have a read of the link below.

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/html/clicker_training.html
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Wed Feb 08 2012, 20:07

Hello and Welcome from Zac and me Smile

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 08 2012, 20:27

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo.

TBH if you are already using a flexi lead/ long line then purely just training with having the extra control should work, not gonna happen over night though.

Try making yourself the most appealing thing to Toby, however stupid you may feel doing it! Get his attention and he will come back, once he has started to learn this you can build on it Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 23:16

tobystaff wrote:I'm using one of those 8 metre Flexi leads at the moment.

But how do I get his attention? He doesnt respond to treats and is only bothered with toys if I'm throwing it for him to chase.

A flexi lead won't do the trick, because it always has some tension on it - he'll 'feel' you at the other end of the lead. The long line will give him much more feedom & a feeling of being off lead, with the added comfort for you of knowing you can pick up the lead at any time & call him back.

If you call him & he doesn't respond immediately, just pick up the lead & pull him to you, calling him cheerfully all the time. Do it every so often, even if there are no dogs around, so that he doesn't automatically think "She's calling me so there must be a dog somewhere to run to!"

Never tell him off when he comes to you, even if it's taken half an hour to get him to! You'll be telling him off for coming to you & he'll be less inclined to come the next time.

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Thu Feb 09 2012, 09:18

Hi,
thanks a lot, it is so helpfull for me as well!
I was wondering why Stella's recall is not getting much better on the flexi lead, I was thinking it should work the same as the long line Tongues

Do it every so often, even if there are no dogs around, so that he doesn't automatically think "She's calling me so there must be a dog somewhere to run to!"
And this one is SO true Laughing

She's perfect when there is nobody around.

Today there was surprisingly somebody on roller blades early in the park and I succeeded because I had caught her attention in time - I was calling her in a funny voice and stomping and kicking sticks - I must have looked stupid but Stella thought I was real cool and came and I was SO proud and happy Laughing

Otherwise I keep her on lead when I suspect people might be around...
Thanks x
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Rubbish recall Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by tobystaff Thu Feb 09 2012, 12:08

This has been very insightful advice. I will definately be trying this. I think I have a training lead but it is only 9m. I will have to get a longer one.

Thanks.

tobystaff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09 2012, 12:14

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Long leads are great and allow you to let them run free while still being able to have control during training or if you really need to bring him back

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Thu Feb 09 2012, 14:15

tobystaff wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I'm using one of those 8 metre Flexi leads at the moment.

As everyone else is saying, a long line will work better, let bulk and less noise.
Just pull him back, quick tugs if needed and when he gets back, just praise and fuss him then let him go again and repeat.
With other dogs, just pull him along when you feel like going, praising him when he does come along. Don't ever stop, just drag him if you have to.

Some dogs just stay on the lead for their whole lives, it's not a bad thing, just make sure you have him under control 24/7. :3
Good luck.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
Rubbish recall Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by tobystaff Sun Feb 12 2012, 12:58

The problem is if I let him off, he just runs off so far ahead, like 30+ meters in front. He will look back ocassionally, and if I turn round and start running the other way he will run back after me.

When he runs over to another dog, he will start chasing it round and run it ragged! He also growls at certain dogs so I'm worried that if he is off lead and a fight breaks out it is inevitable that the staff is going to get the blame regardless.

I've been trying some of the advice put in here,. I havent got a long line yet so I let him walk to the end of the flexi lead when there are dogs near by, and start calling him in a happy voice, slapping my thighs, getting low on the ground etc but he just doesn't take any notice at all!

Does anyone know if neuturing him might help?

tobystaff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Sun Feb 12 2012, 13:04

Some dogs just don't listen for a while.
Erm, Flexi-leads can be the bane to some people, a long line gives you more control (and looks better >D)
Neutering might help but in essence, he has no respect for you and find everything else more appealing.
Try carrying some high value treats, like butchers ham with you, feeding him with little *-bits of it before going out for a walk and at random points, ESPECIALLY when he finally comes back to you.

At the end of a flexi lead is always tension, like there is on any other lead, but I'm not sure where I'm going with that so I'll stop there. Bad day for me.

But anyway, the comment above that with the treats, might just help.
It helped my rebelious 1 1/2 year old un neutered male Rottie...
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
Rubbish recall Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Feb 12 2012, 13:05

tobystaff wrote:

No, only training is going to sort it out Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Sun Feb 12 2012, 15:02

I use a line on Kasidy, about 25m i think, got it from B&Q .I just clip it on every time we are at the park and they can chase the ball and i can relax knowing i can stop the wee bugger running over to smooch every black lab that she spots. Her recal is much better now and i almost never use the line to stop her.
stiofan
stiofan
Rubbish recall Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Feb 14 2012, 16:57

tobystaff wrote:The problem is if I let him off, he just runs off so far ahead, like 30+ meters in front. He will look back ocassionally, and if I turn round and start running the other way he will run back after me.

When he runs over to another dog, he will start chasing it round and run it ragged! He also growls at certain dogs so I'm worried that if he is off lead and a fight breaks out it is inevitable that the staff is going to get the blame regardless.

I've been trying some of the advice put in here,. I havent got a long line yet so I let him walk to the end of the flexi lead when there are dogs near by, and start calling him in a happy voice, slapping my thighs, getting low on the ground etc but he just doesn't take any notice at all!

Sorry to be a miserable old fart, but you simply cant allow him to take off and please himself with other dogs if you cant get him back, specially as you are aware of him growling at some !! ... when a scrap enevitably breaks out, and it will at some point, it will be your fault ... and the breed REALLY dosent need that doh

My Max is similar when there are people/dogs around, he just cant help himself, so for that reason he stays on a flexi lead ... tho I do have land I can take him on, where he can come off the lead in safety, but if I didnt, I would only let him off if I could find somewhere like that ... but thats just me Straight Face
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Feb 14 2012, 18:55

I have been using a flexi with Ledger and he is getting there slowly had a clicker attached to the handle for a while but he is now mostly reacting to 'watching' when another dog comes near and he trots back for a treat if he is a bit tense then I reinforce getting him to 'watch' (look me in the eye) then i roll a treat along the floor in the opposite direction than I want him to look then he 99% of the time is focused on me again after that, if he is calm then I dont lock the lead and this seems to be working its an old flexi and the button clicks so if I do lock it it seems to have an effect like the clicker and he looks back at me

I did try the long line but if he wasnt tripping over it then I was and it was just getting dragged through poop

jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Tue Feb 14 2012, 19:41

Some great training aid's I've found on the internet is by a guy on youtube that gives all his training for free. I have to admit he looks a little odd to start with but a very clever bloke check them out.

Ha has a face book group called The Science & Art of Training Dogs

His proper website is http://trainingpositive.com/

Watch some of the vids, I was amazed, when I get my little staff I'm going to train him this way for sure..

:-)
brophski
brophski
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 19:50

tobystaff wrote:The problem is if I let him off, he just runs off so far ahead, like 30+ meters in front. He will look back ocassionally, and if I turn round and start running the other way he will run back after me.

Neutering won't make any difference at all! Only training will help in this case.

Andy wrote:Sorry to be a miserable old fart, but you simply cant allow him to take off and please himself with other dogs if you cant get him back, specially as you are aware of him growling at some !! ... when a scrap enevitably breaks out, and it will at some point, it will be your fault ... and the breed REALLY dosent need that doh
My Max is similar when there are people/dogs around, he just cant help himself, so for that reason he stays on a flexi lead ... tho I do have land I can take him on, where he can come off the lead in safety, but if I didnt, I would only let him off if I could find somewhere like that ... but thats just me Straight Face

I totally agree!

brophski wrote:Some great training aid's I've found on the internet is by a guy on youtube that gives all his training for free. I have to admit he looks a little odd to start with but a very clever bloke check them out.
Ha has a face book group called The Science & Art of Training Dogs
His proper website is http://trainingpositive.com/
Watch some of the vids, I was amazed, when I get my little staff I'm going to train him this way for sure..
:-)

I've watched several of this guy's videos, and I'm afraid he just reminds me of a younger CM! I'm not convinced. He promises spectacular results with little effort, and I'm afraid that just doesn't happen in the real world!

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Tue Feb 14 2012, 20:46

Younger version of CM, who's CM I'm curious?
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by tobystaff Thu Feb 16 2012, 20:16

Andy wrote:Sorry to be a miserable old fart, but you simply cant allow him to take off and please himself with other dogs if you cant get him back, specially as you are aware of him growling at some !! ... when a scrap enevitably breaks out, and it will at some point, it will be your fault ... and the breed REALLY dosent need that doh

We have a lot of land close to us also. When I say he is running over to other dogs, it's not as if I'm letting him off his lead in close proximity to other dogs. I am letting him off in huge fields etc where I can see all around me. He has ran over to other dogs when he has spotted them from a long way off. Due to this I no longer let him off at all, no.

tobystaff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16 2012, 20:48

brophski wrote:Younger version of CM, who's CM I'm curious?

Cesar Milan!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:23

What's wrong with Cesar Milan?

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:36

Gee wrote:What's wrong with Cesar Milan?

I know a lot of people like him, but I don't. Sad His methods are largely outdated & can be quite cruel. He uses shock & prong collars & uses kicking as part of his training routines.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Feb 24 2012, 11:00

Oh right okay. Was just curious Smile

That young fellow in the video seems okay, his is all based on clicker training. What do I know though Smile

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down