Blood spots on bedding

2 posters

Go down

Blood spots on bedding Empty Blood spots on bedding

Post by welshowen Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:59

Having just read the other thread about being in season I may have answered my own question but what the hell.

I've noticed that Lola's bedding has a few blood spots on it when she gets up in the morning. She's fine in herself, no sign of illness or anything, but being a new Staffie owner, I just wanted to check that this is a sign that she's in season.

Also, I've just booked her in to be spayed in two weeks time. Will her being in season mean that she shouldn't be spayed at present?

Thanks.
welshowen
welshowen
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Blood spots on bedding Empty Re: Blood spots on bedding

Post by janey Mon Feb 06 2012, 14:16

How old is she? And is she rather swollen in the lady garden area!? It does sound like it though.

If she is in season then you will have to wait 3 months after to have her spayed. Can I reccomend you buy some hygiene pants, they really where a god send when Moo was in season Xx

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by welshowen Mon Feb 06 2012, 14:35

janey wrote:

How old is she? And is she rather swollen in the lady garden area!? It does sound like it though.

If she is in season then you will have to wait 3 months after to have her spayed. Can I reccomend you buy some hygiene pants, they really where a god send when Moo was in season Xx

Thanks, just cancelled her appointment. How long is a typical season? Want to make sure she doesn't have an accident!

We don't really know how old she is as she came from the rescue home, but the guess is 1-2. Can't say I've noticed any swelling but can't say that I've looked either. I'll get the wife to have a look now!
welshowen
welshowen

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Feb 06 2012, 14:47

Probably best to get her indoors to check!! A season usually lasts 4 weeks with the bleeding being the middle bit. There are all slightly different, Moo bleed a lot, some not so much.

She will be very receptive to male dogs and vice versa so always keep her on lead whilst walking, I chose to go at times when there where less people about. As I mentioned the hygiene pants really helped

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/hygiene-pants-for-bitches-on-heat-by-mikki-36680

This it what they are, Moo only wore them at night because they can rub.

Well done for rescuing Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 15:43

A typical season can last anything from 21 - 28 days (sometimes a little longer, but that's rare). She will bleed a little & her lady bits will swell; the bleeding will then change to a straw coloured discharge. Henerally speaking she won't be receptive to males until about 10 days into the season, but males will be interested in her from day one!

Keep her on a lead at all times until you're sure she has completely finished & avoid other dogs like the plague! Big Grin

Most vets won't spay whilst a bitch is in season & prefer to wait for months aftwrwards so that all the hormones/organs are back to normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down