Rockys Allergic Reaction

3 posters

Go down

Crying Rockys Allergic Reaction

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 22 2012, 14:58

We had a bit of a scare with Rocky last night. It was about 9.00pm when I first started to noticed some small bumps coming up around his nose and his muzzle. He had been playing around on the bed and chasing about as he normally does. We at first thought that he may of stuck his head into some bushes while we were out for his afternoon walk and had scratched himself.

About an hour later we noticed more bumps coming up on his head and his side and he was starting to scratch. We then figured that he must be having an allergic reaction to something.

We had a quick look in some animal medical books we have and thought it was definately a reaction, we also looked online and of course I checked here for any possible leads to allergies and any medication to give him.

We found some threads to questions about this subject and saw that the only possible thing to give him would be Piriton. My hubby checked what the active ingredient is and found that it was Loratadine and is contained in a antihistamine which is a Tesco own brand. This is what the box looks like.

Rockys Allergic Reaction 965%5C5052003876965%5CIDShot_225x225

Hubby then rushed off to Tesco at about 11.00pm last night (luckily they were open until 12 midnight). We then gave him the correct dosage for his weight 1/2 a tablet I THINK, hubby administered it.
He stopped scratching and then had some sleep until this morning when we checked him all over again for bumps and he was completely clear of them, thank goodness.

We think he must have reacted to the bedclothes which had been washed in a biological detergent rather than our usual one which is non-biological. Must remember to stick to that one in future.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Sun Jan 22 2012, 15:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added picture)
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Rockys Allergic Reaction

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 15:22

Glad he is better. Very scary thing to happen. I have heard of reactions to our detergents. At least you could pin it down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 15:35

glad Rocky is okay now.. you are lucky you had a shop nearby to get the medication!
my friend bought these small plastic balls that you put in the washing machine and you do not need detergent! they are reusuable and she reckons they clean her clothes well. maybe you could try something like that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 17:39

Glad he responded well, but just to let you know that my vet said he wouldn't advise any antihistamine other than Piriton (not even Piriteze), as some of the other ingredients may react badly with a dog - he didn't specify which ingredients, though!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:05

Thankfully never been in the situation Kathy, I would have been a nervous wreck! Pleased Rocky is feling better >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by kellenny Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:47

Sandi sometimes gets a rash on her belly, I gave her loratadine (my hayfever tablets!) and it cleared up straight away. Glad rocky is ok now.
kellenny
kellenny
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sandi
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:59

Glad to hear he is okay and that you know what caused it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:26

Glad Rocky is o.k. whew! Herman is allergic to so many things that I'm paranoid about bringing anything new into the house. He gets these large bumps, under his muzzle mainly, that he will itch like mad. Herman's vet said it's called a "Hysto Cytoma" which is a allergy thing. It seems to come and go by itself and the vet prescribed Benadryl.

Last edited by Herman's Human on Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:42

vanessa wrote:

glad Rocky is okay now.. you are lucky you had a shop nearby to get the medication!
my friend bought these small plastic balls that you put in the washing machine and you do not need detergent! they are reusuable and she reckons they clean her clothes well. maybe you could try something like that?

Thanks for that Vanessa. I am going to look into these. I see that Amazon over here do something as you described and they work out to be quite a bit cheaper than detergent.

Rocky is back to his normal self now ?? whatever that is, no more bumps thankfully.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:53

thank goodness he is back to normal

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 15:45

Hi Kathy.
... glad to hear Rocky is okay now.. it is always such a worry when there is something wrong with our precious pets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down