sore leg paw :(

4 posters

Go down

Sad sore leg paw :(

Post by greenhouse Sat Jan 14 2012, 09:39

Hi my dog(ronin) has a sore leg (paw) for last 2 days i know vet is the right idea but im wondering if he could have a scelf or a twisted leg because there was no sign of cuts. he limps but somtimes he jumps up and stuff even though you know he has a sore leg im hoping its healed today but i think he has a scelf from my decking but im not sure.
question is is the vet the only answer or will this thing pass. he was jumping high with us before we noticed a heavy limp but i noticed a small limp way before. Im just wondering what you would do i suppose and what it could be as i hate seeing him limp. Will it pass? can dogs twist there ankle so to speak? what does anyone suggest?
help much appreciated. Sad Sad Sad Sad will he heal do you think?

greenhouse
greenhouse
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : ronin
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: sore leg paw :(

Post by Kathy Sat Jan 14 2012, 09:44

I would keep him away from jumping if possible as he may land awkward on the leg making it worse. Keep to walks on the lead.

Sounds like a trip to the vet would be needed to find out the problem with the leg then you will know what you can and cannot do with him.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14 2012, 09:57

How old is he? High impact activities such as jumping or running on hard surfaces should be limited until they are 18-24 months. They are prone to hip displacia, arthritis and other joint related disorders and need time for their joints to be able to support their weight.

I don't think they can sprain an ankle but they can definately pull a muscle or create a small injury that will heal on it's own. If he isn't whinning, unable to place any weight on the leg, refusing to move, has swelling or yelps when you touch the leg he could be okay. If any of these are the case you should go to the vet.

If none of the above are true than don't let him run or jump for a few days and see if it starts to get better. If not than a trip to the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by greenhouse Sat Jan 14 2012, 10:44

thanks for the quick reply he is approx 15 month old and i know now thanks to you guys i should not make him jump till hes older thanks again
ryan and ronin
greenhouse
greenhouse

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14 2012, 10:52

Hope ronin feels better soon, keep up updated

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14 2012, 11:08

Hope he is okay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14 2012, 11:55

while they are growing they can easily get green stick fractures etc due to the high impact of jumping etc. if he likes jumping and does it alot he could have twisted his foot which as you know if you have twisted your ankle it hurts. maybe a few days rest over the weekend will tell you more and make for your decision of what to do a little clearer. hope he ok soon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14 2012, 17:07

Hope he is ok. If it were me I would be at the vet but then again I am perhaps overly cautious.

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sat Jan 14 2012, 17:38

Just do as jstaff says, good advice
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by greenhouse Sun Jan 15 2012, 21:19

His leg has been getting better as he was out a few times today and he wasent limping and let him off the liesh and he was running about.Smile thanks must have been a thing that heals. thumbs up thanks all
greenhouse
greenhouse

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Sun Jan 15 2012, 21:27

Hi Ryan,

I had this trouble 2yrs back with bruno...heavy limping going to slight and i thought he'd hurt his leg like your thinking, it turned out to be he pulled a muscle in his shoulder blade and he was given anti-biotics to take the swelling down but you do need to see a vet for that.
Also check his pads to see if there's a deep cut as bruno's had these and i've bathed his foot in salt water 3 times daily and it helps them to heal.

Bruno_3
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by greenhouse Wed Jan 02 2013, 21:22

turns out he has a genetic condition where his neecap pops in and out . so we got the operation done and hes still not a hundred percent. but im not sure about another operation for him as it was painful for him and a lot of hard work looking after him. anyways think we are just gonna keep him the way his leg is as he runs about mad anyways and doesnt seem in as much pain now. so the operation worked to an extent.
greenhouse
greenhouse

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content