Sophies magic coat.

3 posters

Go down

Sophies magic coat. Empty Sophies magic coat.

Post by bobs Fri Jan 06 2012, 12:44

Bob's missus here. On Sophies first birthday in October we bought her a pretty pink coat. It was too warm for her at the time so we put it away until recently.

Anyway, due to agressive dogs approaching her we have had a few issues with her walking her on her longer nylon lead. She would panic when approached and lead bite and fight the lead to such a point she pulled so hard she injured my shoulder.

Anyway, even after working with a trainer we weren't getting anywhere so decided to change the lead to one that is less attractive to bite. We bought a standard chain lead to attatch to her collar.

The downside of that was that she would pull like a steam engine, though we have cured the lead biting. We don't want her to have a harness as we have heard that SOME dogs use them like a sledge and will pull harder. We also don't want to resort to a Halti. We want her to learn to walk nicely beside us.

Anyway, getting back to the coat............................

About a fortnight ago during the really cold snap she went out in her new coat. Unbelievable. She walked like a dream, perfectly beside me giving a sexy little bum wiggle as she went Laughing Laughing Laughing

I thought we had finally got this walking lark cracked until the next time she went out without her coat and there we were, back to steam engine mode.

A few days ago, it was blowing a hooly, so on went her coat and again she walked beautifully. Laughing

Same thing again today. Along she went wiggling her bum trotting nicely beside me. Surprised

We can only think of two things. Either she feels dead sexy to all around and is showing off her pretty pink coat or the way it sits across her chest possibly marginally impedes her desire to lunge. The coat is properly fitted and is purpose bought.

Either way, with the coat on, she is a joy to walk. Coat off and you go for a drag Surprised Surprised Surprised

Anyone else experienced this sort of thing? Laughing Laughing

bobs
bobs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Sophies magic coat. Empty Re: Sophies magic coat.

Post by janey Fri Jan 06 2012, 12:53

Laughing thats one magic coat!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 12:53

billy wont walk anywhere with his coat on, he just stands there

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffymummy Fri Jan 06 2012, 13:25

Reading this was like i'd wrote it!!

Louis does the exact same thing! I find myself hoping it'll be cold so he has to wear his coat. I just wish he'd walk the same without. He currently goes to training every Friday and there has been no improvement with lead walking what so ever.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with the hope that someone has a clue why they walk better wearing a coat and how to get the same effect without thinking

Staffymummy
Staffymummy
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louis
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 13:33

I have'nt experienced this as in Australia we generally have weather which is way too hot to wear a coat.

Anyway, i'm glad it's been a help to you Big Grin

Thought I would add a link to another topic regarding "Thundershirts"
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t4568-thundershirts#71571

I don't use them personally, but Vanessa has had great rsults with these for her gorgeous boys Jethro and Winston. They are used for a wide variety of issues, one of them including "leash pulling" Have a read through and maybe take a look at the Thundershirts website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 14:15

I was going to say that maybe the feels of the coat gives her more confidence & calms her down - a bit like the effects of a thundershirt!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 16:51

I think that you feel so chuffed with how she looks in her new coat that this imparts to her. Hence she struts her stuff. I am a firm believer in the energy with give off being taken up by our boys and girls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down