Living with a cat

5 posters

Go down

Living with a cat Empty Living with a cat

Post by Lis Tue Jan 03 2012, 12:54

Hi All

My lovely Staffy is just over 2 years old. We have come along way since I rehomed him at 10 months old. He is very bright and has a wonderful loving nature towards people and children although I can never trust him 100% around other dogs as sometimes play goes a little too far, especially if another dog submits, shows weakness, or starts squealing, as this seems to excite him even more and then things turn aggressive.

Although some don't agree, he wears a muzzle when off lead as this give me and other reassurance that he cannot hurt another dog whilst playing. This gives him freedom to have time off the lead and in the majority of cases he plays nicely with other dogs. It only seems to be if another dog shows weakness or doesn't put him in his place. He never approaches another dog agressively.

My issue is is that I am moving in with my partner in the spring who has a young cat. At the moment we keep them separated in the house as I just know he will chase the cat with the intent to catch it and I dread to think what else if he did!! I dont want to s

They have sniffed noses through the child gate we have on the kitchen door, and a couple of times we had them in the same room in an attempt to try and get them used to one another slowly, but with him on a lead. This has not worked well so far as if the cat comes near he will lunge for it and over Xmas he nearly took my head off when the cat jumped up on the back of the sofa and he literally lept from a standstill over my head onto the back of the sofa!!

So for the time being they take turns in having freedom of the house, well the downstairs for my dog at least. I hate this as at my current house he is used spending time with me at all times when I am at home, apart from upstairs. He is a typical staffy and loves lots of company and hates being shut out. So for long periods when I am at my partners he is shut away in the kitchen which really upsets me as I love him being with me at all times when I am at home.

My partner also has two children (19 and 11) and although it doesn't matter how many times you drum into them to remember to shut the child gate and the kitchen door, kids will be kids and I just know there will come a time when either the cat or the dog will slip thru. This happened over Xmas as the cat is still young and inquisitive and this is the first 'dog' she has seen, but fortunately we were both there to quickly avoid a catastrophe, but this cant always be the case.

I just don't know what he would do if he caught the cat and he does have a tendancy of jumping on other dogs, which would really hurt the cat. I know cats will fight back and lash out but I know my dog could easily over power my partner's young cat and right now I can just visulise him killing it!

He once caught a rabbit out in a field before he had to wear a muzzle and I shouted at him to leave it and he did and it was virtually unscathed, but he is maturer and stronger now and I know once he is focussed on something it is very very difficult to gain his attention.

Does anyone have any better tips on them getting used to each other and the possibility of them ever living in harmony? We are hoping that eventually the cat will be able to retreat upstairs or outside out of harm's way, but we can't live on a knife edge wondering what will happen if the cat runs and he chases and catches it! Especially when we are out at work or whatever and it's just the kids at home!

I worry about this constantly and it is my biggest concern about moving in right now. It would just be so difficult to try and live keeping them constantly separated.

Is this something that can be overcome in time with consistent familiarisation, or is this a disaster waiting to happen? Sad

Thanks

Lis
Lis
Lis
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dizzy
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Living with a cat Empty Re: Living with a cat

Post by janey Tue Jan 03 2012, 13:06

I have never had a dog and cat so I don't really no, although to me it does sound like a disaster waiting to happen. I no that mine couldn't live with cats, her prey instinct is would take over.

You could try crating Dizzy when your out but there could still be issues and accidents can happen.

I'd love to say that they might bond, but I'm affraid if I was in your position I just wouldn't risk it. Thats just my opinion on it. Maybe someone will say different. Good luck with whatever you decide.

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Jan 03 2012, 13:33

That is a tough place. It can be very hard to introduce a cat into the dogs life if he wants to chase or has a high prey drive. However, if you are willing to work at it and you train Dizzy to leave on command you can get them to coexist. They may not love eachother, but coexist. Also, you may never be able to leave them completely unsupervised in the house as things can get out of hand. You have to do it while the cat is smaller and Dizzy needs to be on lead as you have done. Let them get close and sniff at eachother, but don't let Dizzy pounce. It may be that she is pouncing because she wants to check out the cat so bad she is beside herself. Mine can get this way, but he actually loves cats, it's other vermin that he wants to eat. Keep working at it slowly and teach Dizzy that the cat is not a chew toy or food and in time they will be ok.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Tue Jan 03 2012, 15:58

Lots and lots of It's your choice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc Progress slowly with more difficult temptations as he catches on (like that C A T ). Make sure the cat has safe places to get out of the way (like floor to ceiling cat trees) in case something happens. Let them be in the same room when you are around -but keep him on leash. Give him lots of rewards for ignoring the cat (click and treat or use a marker word) - you have to make sure he knows that chasing the cat is less fun than not chasing it. You need to pay attention and make sure bad thing doesn't happen. This will make watching TV and relaxing less relaxing for a while, but you'll benefit in the long run.

I would certainly start the training ASAP, not waiting until you move in together.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Tue Jan 03 2012, 16:40

Lola is a prey dog so having a cat wouldn't be possible!!
Just positive reinforcement when they get on and gradually increase the time they are together is all I can suggest!

Good Luck!!
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03 2012, 16:55

Tyson was brought into a two cat pack. From the start he has chased them but all he really wants to do is have a game. Being a staff, any hissing and spitting seems to signal a game for him. It is much better now and the cats are relaxed and he seems to know now that they have no intention of joining him in a game. I have a spray bottle filled with plain water on hand when the cats are around and every time he gets the stare at one of the cats, he gets a quick spurt. This seems to be working as I just have to touch the bottle now and he stops. We can now all cuddle on the couch and watch TV for short periods. I did try the reward system for when he left them alone but he soon worked out it was an easy way to get a treat.

I would crate the cat and the dog on the leash, bring him to the crate and let them have a good sniff. Reward no lunge (or spray when he does) and slowly make him aware that reacting to the cat is not acceptable. The cat also needs to know that hissing etc at a mere sniff is unacceptable as well.

It will take a lot of patience and calmness on your part. You may have to repeat this excercise over and over and any excitment on your part will fuel his 'attack' behaviour.

It is possible to have them co-exist even though it may never be a case of them cuddling. Always make sure that the cat does have an escape route or somewhere high to go incase.

There is hope though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Jan 03 2012, 17:41

Ty wrote: Being a staff, any hissing and spitting seems to signal a game for him.

YES! Same thing here.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03 2012, 19:39

Can't be of much help as the only time a had both they grew up together. The dog would still chase the cat but was never agressive. Hope you get it sorted

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Wed Jan 04 2012, 12:36

Much much thanks for all your replies and I feel greatly relieved that there is hope after receiving such positive responses, which is greatly appreciated! Smile

Dizzy is pretty good with food manners already, but I will use this technique in all the forthcoming training to come with Dizzy and the cat. The video was very interesting and I will continue his food training and follow the procedures after watching it.

When he has sniffed the cat at the child gate I have been calling him and diverting his attention, giving him a treat and lots of praise. I have been quite pleased that he has listened to me and not been fixated on the cat. The cat, being very young, is just as inquisitive about Dizzy and does not have too much fear of him at present.

When the cat sits on the stairs and I've had him on the lead below he sees it but has not always pulled towards it. I think its sudden movements make him give chase, which I know is a natural reaction, but one which we need to deter rapidly !!

I think our major concern is what would happen if he actually got hold of the cat, as I really don't know if he would actually let go or not, which is something we really dont want to find out either!!!!!

We will continue to persevere with familiarising them both and with a lot of time and patience I hope we will eventually get there.

Thank you all once again, this has certainly helped put my mind at rest with regard to "there is hope" Smile
Lis
Lis

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dizzy
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down