Chocolate

2 posters

Go down

Chocolate Empty Chocolate

Post by SbtMax Fri Dec 30 2011, 08:21

Max has just snaffled half a bar of Green and Blacks, please tell me he'll be ok.

I'm worrying myself sick...
SbtMax
SbtMax
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Chocolate Empty Re: Chocolate

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 08:31

Wahts Green and Blacks Nicci ?? I wouldn't worry yourself too much , when we were kids we always used to give our dogs chocolate , a long time before it was public knowledge it was bad for them and can be poisonous and they never took any harm.
Think the key is it "might" be bad for them and different dogs react in different ways and depending on the chocolate. Tilly has been slipped a few by the kids when we weren't looking and the worst thing to happen is to get the trots but if you are really concerned and he acts a bit funny then take him to the Vet to put your mind at rest

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/Dog/Adult/Caring%20for%20adult%20dog/Health%20and%20wellbeing/Is%20chocolate%20poisonous%20to%20dogs.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 08:33

how big is that? I'd tell the vet but I'm sure he'll be fine. its just if they eat a heap that its really bad - symptoms can be vomiting diarrhea and hyperactivity (tho thats not unusual for a staffy anyway)

I just read this:

How Much Chocolate Is Deadly?
If a 50-pound dog eats a teaspoonful of milk chocolate, it's not going to cause serious problems. However, if that same dog gorges himself on a two-layer chocolate cake, his stomach will feel more than upset and soon it's likely he'll be vomiting or experiencing diarrhea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 08:38

our lab puppy did eat a chocolate car on my 18th birthday, we got his stomach pumped at the vet. but he was a pup - and it was a BIG hunk of chocolate

Back to top Go down

Post by SbtMax Fri Dec 30 2011, 08:39

Well he's really hyper at the moment, but may be picking up on my nerves (it's my mother in law's funeral this morning) so taking him to the vets is really out of the question.

He ate around 50 grams of dark chocolate, he seems ok at the moment, he picks up everything he can when he's out for a walk and will swallow something whole if he knows he shouldn't be eating it - sly old thing...

Is it bad to hope that he'll have the trots just to get it out of his system ... sick
SbtMax
SbtMax

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Dec 30 2011, 08:41

Was ther chocoalte dark chocoalte? I'm pretty sure there is a n increased risk of side effects of the cocoa content is greater, as it would be in dark chocoalte.

Keep an eye on him, he should be ok just watch him for his behaviour and he may vomit or have the runs. It certainly does seem to depend on the dog as to what the reaction they will be because some tolerate it more than others.

My sheepdog got upstairs one christmas and managed to find a 600g bar (the big gift one's) of dairy milk. It was my sister's christmas present for my dad, he ate the wrapping paper, cardboard box it was in, foil and the whole chocoalte bar and he lived to tell the tale with no effects what so ever!

Fingers crossed Max will be fine!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 08:54

SbtMax wrote:Well he's really hyper at the moment, but may be picking up on my nerves (it's my mother in law's funeral this morning) so taking him to the vets is really out of the question.

He ate around 50 grams of dark chocolate, he seems ok at the moment, he picks up everything he can when he's out for a walk and will swallow something whole if he knows he shouldn't be eating it - sly old thing...

Is it bad to hope that he'll have the trots just to get it out of his system ... sick

Sorry Nicci but you still haven't said what this chocolate is , I've never heard of it but as in the link I posted it will tell you milk chocolate (brown or white) are the least of a problem as they have the lowest levels of Theobromine, whereas dark chocolate and cocoa powder (baked chocolate cakes) are the worst and it is dependent on the size of the dog. If you need to make him sick then have a look here, but it has to be within 2 hours of consumption, hyperactivity is a sign of a problem but as with the trots , Tilly is hyper a lot and has the trots a lot so it makes for a difficult diagnosis

http://doghealthdoc.com/digestive-system/how-to-induce-vomiting-in-a-dog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 09:01

Green & Blacks is a high quality fair trade chocolate. It has a very high chocolate content, and being dark chocolate it's probably the worst type he could have got hold of!

Having said that, most dogs cope reasonably well with the odd bit of choc, and hopefully he'll be ok. Keep a close eye on him; if he starts to become lethargic or is vomiting/has the runs I'd take him to the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Dec 30 2011, 09:01

That's the word I was looking for.....theobromine! Knew it wasn't cocoa content but couldn't think of the word. Nice one Dave!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 20:31

So sorry for your loss. Hope Max is ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 01:15

yes sorry about your mother in law Sad

how is Max now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 01:19

I hope the funeral went as well as could be expected, and that you are all coping.

Is Max still ok?

Back to top Go down

Post by SbtMax Sat Dec 31 2011, 08:33

Hello everyone, thank you for asking, the funeral went beautifully, there were so many people, they couldn't all fit into the church. My brother in law had horses and a carriage for her which I was a bit sceptical about, but when I saw it, I could see how lovely it was for her.

Max is absolutely fine, it had to happen yesterday of all days Rolling Eyes I thought when I got back that he'd be in a hell of a mess but he was bouncing around like normal, he poo was firm (sorry, too much information!) and he hadn't been sick at all.

He gave me such a fright, especially as it was dark chocolate and after reading all the comments, but he must be very robust as it didn't affect him at all, thankfully!

I just want to add that this board is so informative and friendly, it's such a great place to hang out Love Struck
SbtMax
SbtMax

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 08:54

SbtMax wrote:I just want to add that this board is so informative and friendly, it's such a great place to hang out Love Struck

Well said! Glad everything is ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 11:55

Glad everything went ok and that Max is good. It's funny, some dogs only need to have a small amoutn of dark choc & they can become ill, others seem to be able to scoff loads!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 14:30

So glad max is fine
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down