Toilet training

4 posters

Go down

Toilet training Empty Toilet training

Post by honoki Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:43

I have an 18 month old Staffy, her name is Roxi and I have had her for 3 weeks. She is brilliant, she is obedient, great on her lead (doesn't pull at all) and I love her to bits. She sits by my feet, is very loving and so funny at times Smile
But, we have a bit of a problem, if she is left alone during the day she does not go to the toilet in the house, she sleeps all night and does not wee in the house, however if I have to go out in an evening (tonight I popped to Tesco, was gone for less than an hour) she wees on the landing. This happens every time I go out in the evening, which is usually only for an hour max and has happened on 4 occasions. She has got into the routine of me going out to work during the day, so I don't understand why she is behaving like this in the evening. How can I stop her doing this?
Any suggestions, gratefully received.

honoki
honoki
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Roxi
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Toilet training Empty Re: Toilet training

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:45

she is used to you going during the day so this is normal to her but evenings as we all know is now and again which isnt normal so the seperation bit comes into play. restrict her to the kitchen with pads down where the floor is easier cleaned while your out and when you get home if its dry give treats and praise if its not then nicely but still making the point make it clear that you dont like this. hopefully she will stop it eventualy.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 23 2011, 23:26

Hi & Toilet training Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Toilet training Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Toilet training Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Toilet training Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Toilet training Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Toilet training Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Toilet training Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 23 2011, 23:29

You've only had her 3 weeks so patience/training and time is key, what exersize does she get? Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 00:13

Hi & welcome.

I agree with restricting her to one room when you go out. When you come back let her out into the garden straight away, even if she's already peed. As soon as she pees again in the garden give her praise & a treat. Then go back in & clear up any wee she's done inside, but don't say anything at all & most importantly don't get angry or impatient.

She'll soon realise that whenever you go out, you'll come back again & then she gets to go outside & gets a treat if she wees, but gets nothing for weeing inside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 00:18

Agree with all. It will take her some time to settle in and learn the rules but she will get there.

Back to top Go down

Post by anne w Mon Feb 06 2012, 15:49

hi.. just read your post, how are you getting on? i have that prob too.. shes mostly dry when i go to work and at night but as you when we go out for a hour she wees and even when we are in she has started it, not all the time, even tho we are always letting her out in the garden at regular times and giving her treats when she has been in the garden... the other thing she has started to do is bloomin chewing today went upstairs for 5 mins and she had chewed my sock which was waiting to go in the washine machine !! and yet she has loads of toys to chew and play with. any suggestions ?

anne w
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : custard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 15:58

anne w wrote:hi.. just read your post, how are you getting on? i have that prob too.. shes mostly dry when i go to work and at night but as you when we go out for a hour she wees and even when we are in she has started it, not all the time, even tho we are always letting her out in the garden at regular times and giving her treats when she has been in the garden... the other thing she has started to do is bloomin chewing today went upstairs for 5 mins and she had chewed my sock which was waiting to go in the washine machine !! and yet she has loads of toys to chew and play with. any suggestions ?

Rescue dogs can take some time to fully realise that they are safe & in a forever home. If the routine is different (ie not something that happens every day) they will feel insecure. This will change as they settle down & trust you more. Have patience & all will be well!

As to the socks, I've highlighted the telling point - she likes the smell! She can smell you on the sock & it's interesting to her. Plus, socks are soft & easy to chew & throw about, quite simply....fun! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Feb 06 2012, 16:01

anne w wrote:the other thing she has started to do is bloomin chewing today went upstairs for 5 mins and she had chewed my sock which was waiting to go in the washine machine !! and yet she has loads of toys to chew and play with. any suggestions ?

Don't leave things laying around Laughing

In all seriousness my first Staffie wasn't a chewer, then one day I came home she had chewed every pair of heels I had, not the shoe, just the heel! From that moment on everything was put out of her reach!! She never did chew anything else, well appart from the kitchen but thats another story Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by anne w Mon Feb 06 2012, 16:17

haha... thankyou you have made me feel so much better !!! . i am learning tho Smile

anne w

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by thepack Mon Feb 06 2012, 18:07

Hi

Rescue staffies can take time to adjust especially if they have been in kennels rather than foster homes.

It sounds to me as thou she might have a little bit of ASD (anxiety seperation disorder). She has got used to your day time routine and isnt used to you just nipping out when you should be home (according to her lol!).

Put in the kitchen where you can close her away with a bed and toilet training pads (floor is easily cleaned if an accident happens) and maybe leave the radio on for her too.

On your return take her outside straight away and praise if she goes toilet out there.

I have to leave the radio on for my 3 when I go out as the youngest, Gizzi whines even tho she has the comapny of the other 2. She settles well with the radio on and is always sound asleep when I come home and goes straight to the door to go out.

This took time and perseverance with her but she got it eventually

Stick it out hun

thepack
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by anne w Mon Feb 06 2012, 20:02

hi claire,
thankyou soo much for your reply iv just been chattig to my partner and i think we will try puting her in the kitchen when we are just popping out and as you say at least you can just mop it up lol... . funny how they know but i sopose its routine when i go to work she always has 20 mins in the garden with me where when we pop out we just say wee in garden and then bring her in after a few minutes. i do leave the radio on as she likes that and always give her treats when she has been !! Smile . its funny after reading your post it got us thinking tho we have had her only 3 weeks she really has come a long way Smile and its easily forgotton as day by day goes past, think it done us good to look back and reflect on how more confident and at ease she has become with us tho still a long way to come xx

anne w

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content