How to encourage fur growth!

3 posters

Go down

How to encourage fur growth! Empty How to encourage fur growth!

Post by cocosmum Mon Dec 05 2011, 01:03

Coco has really bad skin. She was covered in pustules, with fur loss when we got her 5 months ago. Having eliminated cereals and grains from her diet, she has improved a alot. She is nowhere near as itchy and has stopped chewing her feet as much.
Since we've had her more fur has gone and she now has loads of bald patches. She went to the vet a couple of times but all they do is put her on steroids and antibiotics which I don't want her on for the rest of her life.
Since we tried the change in diet her skin is much better but her fur isn't growing. We had her on Bionic Biotics from Pooch and Mutt and her fur seemed to start growing but then stopped. I am cutting this right down now as it has corn and gluten in it, albeit small amounts.
She is now on salmon oil every day and we're feeding her Butchers Tripe tins only, which she loves. I'm really pleased with the results but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to promote fur growth? She looks like a little piglet now with little fur!! She is happy and healthy in every other way.
I've just bought some DermOpt shampoo and spray and have used it once and it seems to be helping her already.
Any other tips very welcome!! I'm getting a lot of strange looks when I take her out! Laughing All I can say is I'm glad I have 5 other healthy, full furred dogs with me otherwise I'm sure I'd be reported for cruelty to a staffie!!! oooppss!
cocosmum
cocosmum
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis,Coco,Danny,Jenny,Poppy,Guinness
Dog Gender(s) : 3 males, 3 bitches
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

How to encourage fur growth! Empty Re: How to encourage fur growth!

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05 2011, 10:57

This is a good one to have a look at. I haven't used it myself, but I've known lots of people who have (for their dogs, that is! Laughing )...

http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumega-dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05 2011, 15:42

my boys have omega 6 oil on their food everyday.. it is a mixture of flaxseed, cod liver, olive and sunflower oil and vitamin E. It says it promotes a healthy skin and coat among other things.. something like that may be worth a try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Mon Dec 05 2011, 17:24

Okay so now I'm confused.. I've heard so much about dogs (and humans) getting too much omega 6 and that you should only ever supplement with omega 3s as too much omega 6 is harmful... thinking

B-vitamins might help.. at least they recommend that for the kitties to help them grow their furs properly and it's water soluble. Fish oil if her skin is dry.. and make sure anything causing it is actually treated or the furs can't grow back properly. Also - depending on how long her issues lasted there can have been damage to her hair follicles so perhaps some of them are dead and won't grow back. Time will tell - either way the important thing is that she's comfortable and happy.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Dec 05 2011, 17:27

i give my dog omega 3 or cod liver oil once a day

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 06 2011, 00:39

With the oil I guess you just have to follow the correct dosage according to the size of your dog. ... you wouldn't want to go overboard and just pour it on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down