Bones?

Go down

Bones? Empty Bones?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 11:38

Many years ago I had a Doberman. He developed a problem with bone splinters blocking his anal passage. The vet had to remove these manually and advised me at the time never to give a dog with powerful jaws bones of any kind.

I have only given Tyson Ostrich thigh bones as these are porous and do not splinter. Now it does not make sense that dogs should not chew on bones as this would be natural.

Can I give him bone and if so are there any that I should avoid (brittle chicken bones fo instance)?

Back to top Go down

Bones? Empty Re: Bones?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 11:45

Don't ever give cooked bones of any sort!

Fresh, raw bones are fine, but it depends what you're giving them for. A marrow bone is ok for a treat & gives their jaws a good work out, but it's no good from a food point of view, plus the marrow can be a bit too rich for some. If you're looking to give one as a meal, then chicken wings/carcasses are good (raw!) or lamb neck/spine/ribs. Take care not to give too much as they'll make him constipated!

Although I use bones as part of Dempsey's diet, he also enjoys them so he has a section of lamb spine or ribs every day with as much meat attached as possible (although that isn't much sometimes!).

As they are raw, though, you should take away whatever's left either once they become too small to be chewed effectively (never managed that with Dempsey yet!) or after 24 hours (never lasted that long!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 11:45

i go to the local butchers for bones and tell him its for the dog. he then gives me a cows leg.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 12:56

Thanks for the info. I have seen huge cow leg bones at the butcher but have been hesitant. Good tip about cooked bones. Was just about to give him the bone from the lamb roast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 12:58

Sorry did not mention I intend bones to be a treat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 13:00

Ty wrote:Thanks for the info. I have seen huge cow leg bones at the butcher but have been hesitant. Good tip about cooked bones. Was just about to give him the bone from the lamb roast.

Nooooo! Big Grin

Ty wrote:Sorry did not mention I intend bones to be a treat

Then any raw bones will do as long as they're taken away after 24 hours. Keep an eye on his tum, though, with the big ones as the marrow can upset some stomachs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 16:33

I gave lexi a pig thigh bone and i was actually shocked at how well she ate it, id never gave her a bone before. just crunch crunch and 20mins later it was gone lol. i thought she would have just ate the meat, licked it a little then buried it. I dont think i would give her one again just in case she did choke or something. but i think under supervision a raw bone would be okay!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Nov 29 2011, 22:53

Yeh I used to give my bully large cow nuckle joints from the butcher, he couldnt bite them up too much cus they were too big for his gob, but he spent hours trying Big Grin
Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down