First Bone for Fussy Pup

Go down

First Bone for Fussy Pup Empty First Bone for Fussy Pup

Post by Hilsie Sat Nov 26 2011, 14:35

Millie is 5 months now and it has been a nightmare getting her to eat. I must have tried 4 or 5 different dry dog foods she nibbles at it but will never eat a bowl full. Tried putting food down, lifting it after 20mins and trying her again later but nope she will not eat it. Tried pretending to eat it myself and she ate one or two pieces and then turned her head. I thought she was very thin and asked the vet - he looked at her and said "She's not yet, but it would appear you have got a very fussy pup".

She ate scrambled egg a few times but this morning totally refused it. The only thing she likes is cooked chicken breast which I could not afford every day. When we had 2 APBT nearly 30yrs ago we fed them a mostly raw diet. I hadn't tried this with Millie as everyone I know was going on about how good dry dog food is nowadays. So in despair I went into the butchers this morning and got her a bone and some minced beef which he assures me is just scraps left at the end of the day.

The bone is going down well though she's not so sure about the minced beef but has eaten some of it. I guess the local stray cat will gladly eat the dry dog food!

Fingers crossed she will now eat everyday for me.

Hilsie
Hilsie
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 22 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

First Bone for Fussy Pup Empty Re: First Bone for Fussy Pup

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 20:56

Try not to be too concerned. No dog will let themselves starve. Maybe feeding raw will work out for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 22:15

I was the same with Billy then I tried raw which he loved but now he is getting fussy again, somethings I have to cook slightly for him to eat, I worry like you that he is not getting all he needs but like jstaff says they will not starve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 00:29

Maybe try her with a raw chicken neck ....... my girl went NUTS when she was given her very first one, and now enjoys them on a regular basis.
I used to feed my girl top quality kibble, but now she is fed a diet of raw meats/bones plus egg once a week and also the occasional tin of sardines.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what works for you and your dog, and what you are comfortable with.

Maybe take a look at this link......
http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/barfandrawdiets.html
there are also further links on this ^ page too

Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hilsie Sun Nov 27 2011, 15:43

Thanks everyone Smile
Hilsie
Hilsie