Staffy cross coming into cats home?

+2
Steve
lee&jodie
6 posters

Go down

Staffy cross coming into cats home? Empty Staffy cross coming into cats home?

Post by lee&jodie Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:37

Hi all,

After a bit of advice from anyone who's hopefully been in a similar situation.

Currently we have a 11 month old bengal cat(Olly). However a guy at work has a staffy and its just had pups - staffy cross (belive its with a Bulmastif) and basically he's after homes for them and has asked if i'd take one. I've always been a dog person so would love bring one home, its just how bringing a dog in will effect Olly.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Lee

lee&jodie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy cross coming into cats home? Empty Re: Staffy cross coming into cats home?

Post by Steve Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:50

my sister had a cat and then had one of my pup the cat was fine but if it's staffy x bullmastiff its going be huge

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Staffy cross coming into cats home? Empty Re: Staffy cross coming into cats home?

Post by lee&jodie Sun Nov 20 2011, 19:00

That was fast!

is it? - did some internet research and looked at some youtube vids and they looked medium sized, like 24" tall?

Thanks
Lee

lee&jodie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Nov 20 2011, 19:09

with cross breeds you never know what your going to get because you never going find two the same

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lee&jodie Sun Nov 20 2011, 19:11

is there anyway to tell how big there gonna be from pup size?

lee&jodie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Nov 20 2011, 19:14

no, i'm not sure how good bullmastiff are with cats i'm sure if you trian it right it should be ok but i cant say it will be

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 21:36

The thing i am immediately thinking here is that the size of the dog and the shape of it is going to be that of a pitbull and you will find yourself in a hard situation with that. I know it isnt a pitbull but you need to be prepared for everyone to think it is and chastise you for it. As for the cat, i wouldn't leave them in the same room thats about all i can advise.

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Sun Nov 20 2011, 23:43

I have three dogs and ten cats and they get along fine. New pups need to be watched so they don't get excited and chase the cat.If you get the pup at eight weeks i'm sure they will settle quickly and the cat will probably be the boss. Just another thing the pup has to learn along with everything else you teach it. Put a child gate on the door of one room and the cat can choose to have peace anytime.I'm typing next to a pile of two staffys and six cats all snoozing in a heap on their sofa.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffy cross coming into cats home? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 01:30

First off congrats on the possible new addition! We would love to see pictures of your pup when you get it! And feel free to post pictures of your cat in the other pets section.

Now, on to the topic at hand. Can't say I know much about Mastiffs and their cat tolerance, but I have had cats with my foster Pit Bull, Benny, and with my current Stafford, Saxon. When I first brought Benny home, my cat Bowie hissed at him and hid from him for three days. After two weeks this is what they looked like:
Staffy cross coming into cats home? DSC_0034

With Saxon it was a little different, because now Bowie has a little sister that he is very bonded to. The cats tolerate Saxon, but don't necessarily like him. Saxon chases the cats every now and then. I just tell him no and he stops. They don't ever snuggle, like Bowie did with Benny, but they do ok:
Staffy cross coming into cats home? DSC_0177

I think it will help that you are getting him/her from a puppy so you can work with him/her from the start. They get better with time. The main thing to remember is to take it slow, try not to rush them. And for me, I don't ever leave them alone unattended, no matter how much I trust Saxon. Saxon is always in his crate when I am away from home. If you aren't there to watch them, you aren't there to stop any behavior that may result in injury to the dog or cat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Nov 21 2011, 05:42

I have a one cat and a staff. My cat is a bit weary of dogs and hides from him mostly even though my dog longs to play and see the cat. My last dog as well as this one will leave the cat on demand. It wouldn't be that hard to intoduce the two as they are both still young. It is usually much easier to have a puppy and older kitten to grow up together than introduce a dog later. Just be watchful of them at first and don't leave them together unsupervised.

Staff x bullmastiff would be a nice dog. I like all the bully breeds myself. I'd just be hoping it gets a mouth more influenced by the staff than the mastiff (lol). It should be an interesting x.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Mon Nov 21 2011, 13:28

I agree with leaving the dog in a crate if you are out.I crate mine because they would all charge about playing if they were left and a staffy landing on my Laperms might accidentally hurt them.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffy cross coming into cats home? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by crippingale Tue Nov 22 2011, 15:36

I introduced a one year old staff cross to my two cats. Maisey (female) was fine after a while and gives her a growl and a good hiding if she gets too close. But when it comes to a peanut butter sandwich the are prepared to put their differences aside. Ottis (male) however has not come down the stair for a year now. On occassion I have dragged him down and he will sit under duress on my lap whilst Eden is in the room but he does not look or feel comfortable. I suggest that you put dog in a crate and cats in a crate in the same room to start so they can get used to each others movements. Then be brave and for short moments let one of them out of the cage. Carry on like this and I am sure they will be fine. My friend has a dog de bordeaux and he loves the cats!! Good luck. Be patient. Also give the cats somewhere up high where they feel safe and can observe the dog from a comfortable distance.
crippingale
crippingale

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Eden
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochelle121 Tue Nov 22 2011, 15:45

i got my pup at 5months and i have have a 2yr old cat,at first it was difficult and the cat fell out with me for a week or so but they are fine now Smile good luck

Rochelle121
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : perriot (pronounced peer-oh)
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochelle121 Tue Nov 22 2011, 15:49

this is a pic of my cat when he was a kitty with my last staffy Roxy and she adored him Smile
Staffy cross coming into cats home? 23829_10

Rochelle121

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : perriot (pronounced peer-oh)
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 10:15

Tyson and my 2 cats have been together for a year now and for the most part they coexist reasonably well seeing that the cats had the run of the place and ruled supreme before. They were used to dogs as my old boy (also a staff) Zulick was around.

All three will happily curl up with me on the sofa and all sleep with me on the bed. However, when Tyson feels like it he will pounce/chase them in the hopes of starting a game which the cats will not go for. I must admit he is doing this less often and now responds to the leave command.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 11:03

The cats take longer than the dogs. Vlad would love nothing better than to befriend Dita (our cat) but she is having none of it. She is slowly starting to come around...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down