can i keep three staffs

5 posters

Go down

can i keep three staffs Empty can i keep three staffs

Post by garry 861 Wed Nov 16 2011, 20:53

my sons dog sophie had seven pups, there are three left and i want to keep them, is it unrealistic,i work in the day time, i have a garden for them to run around in though.

garry 861
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

can i keep three staffs Empty Re: can i keep three staffs

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 20:57

Hi & can i keep three staffs Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

can i keep three staffs Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
can i keep three staffs Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
can i keep three staffs Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
can i keep three staffs Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
can i keep three staffs Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
can i keep three staffs Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 21:06

I think it would be a lot of hard work but it could be done. If you have experience raising dogs and had some one to help during the day that would be ideal.

If you are a first time handler with no help during the day I would advise against it. They will require at a minimum two one hour walks every day. There is also alot of training involved. There is also grooming and vet bills to consider. That would be too much IMHO for a first time handler who works during the day. That's a full time job in itself.

You would likely have to crate them if you were out. Leaving them in a yard is not a good idea. They are escape artists and could get loose.

Back to top Go down

Post by garry 861 Wed Nov 16 2011, 21:14

thank s i sort of know the answer but cant pick one to sell , you see my son lives with me an half the litter are mine he sold his half an well i cant

garry 861

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 21:27

I'm not saying that it can't be done. If you have soemone to help out during the day, fully know how much work keeping all three involves, have the space then you certinly can keep all three.

If not though it's best for all involved to find a good home for at least one of the pups.

We would love to get anothor dog but just don't have the room right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 22:42

I'd always advise against keeping siblings, there are often problems.

Also, as jstaff says, there's treble the amount of training/feeding/exercising/vets bills.

If you're away all day then you'd have to crate them seperately or all hell could break loose! Then you'd have to consider whether you'd be giving them a good life, locked in a crate for most of each day. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Thu Nov 17 2011, 09:20

Caryll wrote:I'd always advise against keeping siblings, there are often problems.

Also, as jstaff says, there's treble the amount of training/feeding/exercising/vets bills.

If you're away all day then you'd have to crate them seperately or all hell could break loose! Then you'd have to consider whether you'd be giving them a good life, locked in a crate for most of each day. Sad

Agree with this,should a fight break out and no one is around you could be coming home to very seriously injured if not dead dogs, and don't think it won't or can't happen because it does.

My two are always seperated if we go out and at bedtime.
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler & Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Dog & bitch
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17 2011, 11:16

I would also not leave any dogs in agarden while I'm out, even for short periods. No garden is so safe that a dog can't be stolen!

The only way this would work is if you have specially built kennels & runs in the garden, and that's very expensive!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17 2011, 11:34

hmmmm it can be done but its not something i would want to even try......I no its disapointing but i think u would be more kind to all three pups to keep one and try 2 find the other two separate homes. x

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Nov 17 2011, 22:17

I would say no dont do it I know its hard but it would be harder later on if you have to rehome but why did you breed the dog knowing that you had to make this desicion Sad
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17 2011, 22:21

gem wrote:I would say no dont do it I know its hard but it would be harder later on if you have to rehome but why did you breed the dog knowing that you had to make this desicion Sad

Absolutely. If you didn't have firm buyers for the pups, you really shouldn't have mated her. Water under the bridge now, of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by garry 861 Sat Nov 19 2011, 20:39

thanks for all the feed back ,will they definitely fight each other , is there a chance they ill get on . the money i will cope with ,half hour before work an an hour after, can be done, if there doctored do you think that could help,thanks

garry 861

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by haddy Sat Nov 19 2011, 20:53

If you have someone that can pop in on them or you can take a few weeks off, you could potentially do it. The thing is it WILL be a big challenge, but can be done, you would have to be firm with them, spend alot of time training with them, and train them separatly, giving them all one on one time, if you REALLY want it to work you could do it. And no they wont definitly fight each other, but there is a possibility that this could happen.
Also, that would mean you have four dogs and that is quite a big responsibility, you would have to think about what you would do if it just wasnt working and you couldnt keep them all.
haddy
haddy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mouse
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Sat Nov 19 2011, 21:46

I have two from the same litter and they have been great fun but i wouldn't recommend two pups at once and i seem to have been lucky and avoided the problems with siblings. Also the cost of vaccination,neutering, etc etc times three? eek!! I almost took in another pup several weeks ago but i'm very glad i didn't. I'd say two should work but oh your life would be much easier with one.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
can i keep three staffs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content