Duke's not eating - is he stressed?

3 posters

Go down

Duke's not eating - is he stressed? Empty Duke's not eating - is he stressed?

Post by Ernestine Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:19

We're having some building done, and since hubby and I both work, we thought it best that Duke stays with father-ini-law while we're not home. So he gets dropped off in the mornings and collected in the evenings. He has one of his beds, and his own food bowl with him. He's not really a toy fan, so we didn't take any for him. F-I-L absolutely loves him and the feeling's mutual. So he's basically safe, comfy and loved. What I'm worried about is that he's gone off his food during the day. He eats at home in the evenings, but hardly has anything in the day. He seems perfectly fine otherwise. Is he stressed? Is it because he's out of his comfort zone? The first night we brought him home, and they'd practically demolished the back garden he was al shivery and shaky. But that was last Thursday, and he hasn't done that again.

What do you think? Should we maybe swap his evening and morning meals so he gets more at home than when is away?
Ernestine
Ernestine
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Duke's not eating - is he stressed? Empty Re: Duke's not eating - is he stressed?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:22

He could indeed be stressed. They take a little while to get used to new enviroments sometimes. This is why if they are kept in a keenel while you are away they usually lose weight. Try to keep the food intake the same as always and if that means switching up the meals a bit it's okay.

Eventually he will adapt to his new surroundings and settle in fine.

Back to top Go down

Duke's not eating - is he stressed? Empty Re: Duke's not eating - is he stressed?

Post by *Karen* Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:26

Could your F I L try a kong filled with his lunch during the day?

I know my in laws had a French bulldog who they used to travel England to France with (all day car trip) and she wouldn't eat a thing for the whole trip and barely drink anything either so it might be that he's out of his normal routine.

I'm no expert though so hopefully someone else has a better idea!!
*Karen*
*Karen*
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:29

Not really sure what to advise. Maybe he is stressed at being left with someone else. Does he get enough exercise during the day? Maybe leave something with him that smells of one of you. Rocky has one of Andys old jumpers in his bed for while we are not with him.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:35

Cany ou feed him at home before you go then he wont need anything to eat at the f.i.l?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:49

It sounds like a touch of anxiety.

To be honest, I wouldn't do anything. I'd just feed him his normal meal at home so that you don't bloat him in the evenings & just let him set his own pace during the day.

As long as he isn't losing a lot of weight, it won't be a long term problem. How long will the building work last?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:51

I wouldnt worry to much 2 be honest. He wont starve himself!
Ive it makes u feel better u could try swapping the times about u feed him like u said so he is eating more at home

Back to top Go down

Post by Ernestine Wed Nov 16 2011, 13:38

Wow thanks for all the replies so quickly! Well, he's not interested in his Kong, unless it's got peanut butter or Bovril smeared all over it Big Grin

My F-i-L takes him for walks, but not very often. And to be honest, I'd rather he didn't, I'm a bit of a control freak. If anything happened, or he wasn't walking him "properly" I'd be highly upset!

The building's probably going to last another month, so I think I'll see how it goes next week, and if he's still not eating, then I'll swap his meals. He could stand to lose a lb or 2 anyway Lol! Unfortunately he 's a bit of a grazer... since he's a senior citizen, I don't fuss too much about it, and his breakfast is usually gone by lunchtime anyway.

Sending an item of clothing or something with our scent on is a good idea. So I think we'll do that tomorrow Smile
Ernestine
Ernestine

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down