janey
Jodi
13 posters

Go down

Star Hello and Help??

Post by Jodi Fri Nov 04 2011, 12:44

Hi All

Hope you and your dogs are all well.

One of my friends recently was getting rid of her staffy and asked on facebook if anyone wanted him. Ive always wanted a dog and the thought of a dog not being wanted upset me so i agreed i would have him.

My boy is called Lennox and according to my friend he is one years old. I love him so much and hes always there for cuddles and likes alot of attention. I take him out everyday for lots of walks we have named the longest walk the 3 field walk and the third field is massive where he likes to run as fast as he can on there.

I cannot imagine now life without him... however we are having a problem that we cannot leave him alone in the house because he constantly barks and is upsetting the neighbours i dont know what to do this is ruining my relationship now as we cannot go out together lucky for Lennox i work days and my partner works nights but if i am at work my partner cannot even go to the shops without the neighbours complaining.

Another thing is he wont sleep anywhere other than our bed. I tried staying up a couple of nights and making him get on his own bed everytime he got onto our bed but i fell asleep and woke up with him on it.

I dont know what to do i am supposed to be getting married in March and we have cancelled our honeymoon for Lennox and i cannot go for a promotion at work because it would me traveling and he cannot be on his own for 10 mins never mind an hour.

He is sooo good with people kids, he is good when your eating, and there is 100s of things i could say positive about him just we cannnot leave the house no more and i know it is a big commitment having a dog but surley i should be able to go to the shops lol.

Please has anyone any ideas i keep seeing all these shock collar stories and they sound awful Sad

One proud but very tired and stressed out mummy

Jodi xx

Jodi
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lennox
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Star Re: Hello and Help??

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 12:46

Hi & Hello and Help??  Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hello and Help??  Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hello and Help??  Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hello and Help??  Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hello and Help??  Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Hello and Help??  Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Hello and Help??  Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 12:52

Hi & welcome.

Please don't use a shock collar.

You will need to gradually desensitise Lennox. Start by leaving him for one minute. Don't make any fuss, don't say goodbye etc, just close the door & walk out of the house. When you come back in, don't greet him, just act as if nothing's happened. Always go out of the front door, not just into another room - they're not stupid & they know when you're still in the house.

You can then start to increase the time you leave him. First 1 minute, then 5, then 10 etc. It may take a while, but it will work.

As to the bed, you're going to have to try tough love. Put him in his bed, and then shut the door & go to bed yourself. He will howl & wail, no doubt, but you will have to ignore it. Make sure whenever you leave him (to go out or to go to bed) that he has fresh water available, and some tough toys that he can amuse himself with - a kong stuffed with treats is a good idea.

At his age, it may take a little longer than a pup, but he's still very young & will pick it up fairly quickly. Just remember to stay firm & consistent.

Good luck!

P.S. Any pics of Lennox? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 12:58

Sounds like a severe case of seperation aniexity. This is fairly common and usually a hard issue. We had this issue as well. It's best if they are exercised before you leave them. Don't make a big fuss about going out just go. The same thing when you come home no big fuss just ignore him for a little bit and then give praise.

A Kong with a treat inside provides a good distraction to keep them occupied while you are away. We also leave the TV on so the house isn't quiet. Are you crate training? It really helps if they have a place of their own where they feel safe. How long have you had him because he could be still adjusting to a new enviroment and afraid that you will leave him as well.

It helps if you work on this in increments. Leave him alone for 5 minutes and then 10 and so on. They are very adaptable but the key is not to make a fuss when they whine or bark. If you do this you are teaching him that if he whines you will pay attention to him. You have to ignore it and when he settles give him praise.

AS for sleeping in the bed we have Suki sleep with us but the first week we had her she stayed in the crate. She would whine and howl but we ignored it and she setteled in. If you plan on letting him sleep on your bed it might not really be an issue. Also you have to sit down with your partner and talk about the rules for the dog. You both have to be consistant so he won't get confused. It sounds like he is getting enough exercise but you have to do some training to. This will exercise his mind and make him feel like he has a job as well as make him more obiedient. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodi Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:02

Caryll, Thanks for the reply, will have to try it. yeah i have loads of pics but i dont know how to get him on. Lennox and his dad Mark are best friends ill try and get some on of him..

i tried buying allsorts of different chewing things for him he is not interested and the only sweets he eats is dog chocolate and he did like a postmans leg once.

Think i might pop out and try the one minute today was thinking of getting a babygate for the stairs but i dont want him to not be able to come upstairs

xx

Jodi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodi Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:05

I havent ever heard of crate training? And can someone explain what a Kong is please? I have had Lennox about 7 weeks now Big Grin xx

Jodi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:12

A Kong is a type of toy made of hard rubber and tend to last a good while. They are hollow and you can put food inside.

A crate is simply a dog cage. After some time they think of it as a den or safe place and will go inside when they want to be alone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:12

Oh for the pics you have to open a free photobucket account and copy and paste the URL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:16

Firstly welcome Jodi and well done for taking Lennox into your home.
Totally agree with what the others have said above.
You need to set some boundaries or Lennox will come to think he is the boss of the house. A baby gate is not such a bad idea as it helps him learn that there are boundaries he has to abide with. We used one with our youngest (Izzy) when we brought her home at 9 weeks as I had to separate her and my older girl (Kita), who was nearly 13yrs old. Eventually you should not need it anymore.
Be consistent in everything you are trying to teach Lennox or he will get confused with what you want from him.
Timing is everything and I hope that all works out for you with your plans.
There is all sorts of advice on the forum that should help you and Lennox.
Keep positive, search the forum, ask as many questions as you need, we are all here helping each other.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of Lennox. Big Grin

Last edited by Dogalogs88 on Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:20; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:18

We use a baby gate as well for the one room in the house where Suki isn't allowed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 14:54

Hi and welcome.. yes well done with giving Lennox a loving home...

I agree with everyone's advice above... this is all new to Lennox so as long as you are consistent he will get to learn what is expected of him. It is hard but you must reward the good behaviour and ignore the bad... Definitely leave a tv or radio on for company and also if you decide to use a crate just drape a blanket or sheet over it to make it like a little cave..my Winston loves it and it makes him feel secure. Good luck!!

Can't wait to see some pics of Lennox!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Nov 04 2011, 14:57

Can't add anymore to whats been said, so hi and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Nov 04 2011, 15:08

I also will vote for the advice given. Welcome though!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 15:22

good advise given, looking forward to seeing pics

hello and welcome from me and billy

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fri Nov 04 2011, 15:48

janey wrote:

Can't add anymore to whats been said, so hi and welcome from me and Moo Smile

Yep, Same here

Hello and welcome aboard Smile
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 15:55

welcome, everyones already given great advice.....all i would say is that crates are fantatic but espeacially for dogs with SA it gives them routine and a really safe place. It will be hard work getting him used to it but he will get there and learn to love it

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Nov 04 2011, 18:22

Hi and welcome from me and Rocky. See link below for Kong. We stuff this with Rockys dinner. This keeps him busy for a while.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-Extreme-UXL-Extra-Large/dp/B0002DHNZA/ref=sr_1_39?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1320430491&sr=1-39

See link for Boomer Ball. We have got one in Rockys Christmas pressies waiting for him. You will probable need some tough toys. Try looking on Amazon for tough toys for him.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boomer-Ball-Company-Animals-Size/dp/B001VLEYEU/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1320430605&sr=1-4

See link for dog crate. This one is on offer now a good price too.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=773&pf_id=55936

Just try to build up the time gradually he is left. As advice above really. Good luck
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:45

hia from me and sasha Smile
nothing really to add,just give him time and have patience with him and all will work out good,well done on taking him in,so many end up unwanted pets Sad
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 05 2011, 01:12

Ditto to all of the above......

Hi there wave and Welcome from Me and RoXy.

Looking forward to seeing pics, and also hearing "updates" on how you and Lennox are going re: the seperation anxiety / barking

Best of luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 05 2011, 09:06

hi from me and Woody.

also agree with the advice, woody has a crate and a babygate on the kitchen. i was sad to hear you have cancelled your honeymoon but it shows that you are committed to keeping this dog, you just need to work as described above so he knows you arent going to abandon him and then hopefully you will be able to have a life outside of the house too. good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by four leaf clover Sat Nov 05 2011, 09:44

Well done on taking in Lennox. You sound very committed to giving him a good home.

Diesel was a rescue dog and for the first couple of weeks he howled and howled whenever I left the house. My neighbours were NOT impressed :S. I had nasty notes though the door and somebody called the dog warden!

I am happy to say that he is fine to be left now. I pop him in his crate and leave the TV on. I used to throw in a bone to keep him occupied at first and after some initial crying, he would settle down to chomp on that.

I hope that thinks improve for you, your partner and your doggy x
four leaf clover
four leaf clover
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Hello and Help??  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Clover
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Females
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by billysgirl Sat Nov 05 2011, 15:06

Hiya and welcome to the forum wave

billysgirl

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Nov 06 2011, 19:39

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and Tinkerbell. Sounds like you have some great advice already, just want to add keep us posted how you get along with it, and well done you for rehoming another unwanted dog!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Sun Nov 06 2011, 20:24

Big Grin
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 21:52

P.S.......

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FORTHCOMING MARRIAGE!!! l-o-v-e

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodi Thu Nov 17 2011, 11:59

omg thank you all sorry i havent been back on been working and when not working out with Lennox.

Last night i had a chat with my neighbour and they are really unhappy i really dont know what to do apart from someone be in with him at all times. looking for a crate now he does have a bed not that he will sleep in it.

We are now discussing moving to somewhere where the walls arent so thin and somewhere we are allowed dogs because dont want to loose him.

Some lovely comments on here thank you all just really upset that my neighbours arent happy n keep telling me to get rid of my boy Sad x

Jodi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17 2011, 12:14

I take it that your neighbours haven't made any formal complaints? ie to the council etc?

If not, then you still have time to sort this out. Have you thought about getting a dog walker in once or twice a day? Someone who can come in, give Lennox a fuss & a walk, and maybe play with him for a few minutes so that he doesn't feel forgotten & anxious?

In the meantime, please keep trying leaving him for very short periods & building it up slowly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17 2011, 12:23

Hiya, from me and Vinnie wave

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Nov 17 2011, 22:10

Hello wave it makes you wonder why the old owners wanted to give him away doesnt it but im sure following the advise he will improve Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodi Sat Nov 19 2011, 08:36

hey all yeah mark is in with him most of the day and i am in with him most the night so its only for the odd hour or so if i am honest but it is just upsetting the thought of ever having to chooose between my boy and my home just got a babygate so i am putting that up today and searching to see if anyone has a crate to start the crate training. It is really that bad that if i am in and mark leaves he cries for 20 mins no matter how much fuss i give him. Oh well things can only get better i suppose x but once again thank you all for the advice. xx

Jodi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Nov 19 2011, 09:00

Sound like a bored dog to me, how many times a day do you take him out & how long for?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19 2011, 11:33

If you are going to leave him alone DON'T make a fuss. This will make him think it is a big deal. Just leave without paying any special attention to him.

When he whines don't pay him any attention. I know it sounds mean but it's neccessary. If you give him the attention it makes him think that if he whines enough you will give him affection. The right time to do so is after he is calm. That way he learns that if he is calm he gets affection but if he whines he doesn't get affection.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19 2011, 11:39

Jodi wrote:It is really that bad that if i am in and mark leaves he cries for 20 mins no matter how much fuss i give him. Oh well things can only get better i suppose x but once again thank you all for the advice. xx

That's one way you're going wrong - by giving fuss you're reinforcing the behaviour, not stopping it!

jstaff wrote:If you are going to leave him alone DON'T make a fuss. This will make him think it is a big deal. Just leave without paying any special attention to him.

When he whines don't pay him any attention. I know it sounds mean but it's neccessary. If you give him the attention it makes him think that if he whines enough you will give him affection. The right time to do so is after he is calm. That way he learns that if he is calm he gets affection but if he whines he doesn't get affection.

Spot on! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by NatureClip Sat Nov 19 2011, 18:38

Hi & welcome!

I agree with the advice from Caryll and the others. We do this exact same thing (, leaving them 1 min, then 2, then 5, then 10 etc. Though we do tell them "won't be long" which I may start cutting out").

Works really well and helps to get the dog settled. This is such a good forum - even really good and dedicated owners (like Jodi) can get into difficulty and without forums like this to turn to, where do you go?

I've picked up loads of tips from scanning the fourm topics. Keep it up guys!

All the best

Dan
www.youtube.com/natureclip

NatureClip
NatureClip
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 3ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female