Just what you need 45 mins before work

5 posters

Go down

Just what you need 45 mins before work Empty Just what you need 45 mins before work

Post by jshrew Thu Nov 03 2011, 03:32

Ledger stays at my parents some days when I'm working and I was just about to settle him there with my parents dog and decided to let them out once more before I went. I returned to let them in a couple of minutes later and Ledger well he just looked forlorn I opened the door and there were spots of blood all over the conservatory floor and Ledger looking at his paw. He let me look and where there had been a dew claw now there was none

He sat patiently while I paniced and rushed to try and find something to stop the bleeding and find my phone to call the vet for advice after a couple of attempts to stop the bleeding he refused to let me near the paw so it was cover the front seat of the car in sheets and towels and run him to the vets (it was the most calm he has ever been in the car)

Well thankfully there was hardly any waiting and I am over the moon that on his first vet trip with me he was perfectly behaved and apart from gradually leaning into me and sliding away from the vet he had no problem with her applying the dressing and funky red bandage

No real harm done just a £62 addition to my credit card and the consideration that I really should get some kind of doggie first aid kit together from what I have read on other threads piriton will be a useful inclusion does anyone else have any recommendations for items to go in my kit?
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Just what you need 45 mins before work Empty Re: Just what you need 45 mins before work

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 04:00

That's not a good way to start the day at all. Thankfully it wasn't too expensive and glad to hear he did well at the vets.

We keep a first aid kit in the car as well as in the house. We don't put anything extra in them that are dog specific but ours has tweezers, scissors, disinfectant, clotting gel, gauze and various bandages and things to make a splint.

The American Red Cross also has a class on pet First Aid and CPR. I think this is an excellent idea for anyone with a pet. It's always best to know how to act in an emergency and being prepared helps calm you down a bit when something does happen.I'm not sure what's available in the UK though.

Back to top Go down

Just what you need 45 mins before work Empty Re: Just what you need 45 mins before work

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 06:15

Poor Ledger......... i'm glad you were able to get him seen by the Vet rather promptly. I can imagine it would be rather painful for him, and to behave so well he deserves a star star star

Hopefully it heals quickly and he does'nt try to remove the dressing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 08:18

poor ledger, hope he is feeling better today

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Nov 03 2011, 09:30

Yeah he seems fine he came and woke me up and poked his bandaged paw in my face then when I was watching he put on a bit of a limp but I'm not falling for it so he quickly gave up

Typically it is wet out so keeping the bandage dry for walks is a bit of a task he just ripped off any kind of plastic that rattled but my dad has found some rubber gloves that we have cut the thumbs off these stretch nicely and seem to work ok for short walks
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 03 2011, 09:47

This happened to a freinds Bull Terrier yrs back, and the vet suggested he had the other removed also to prevent it happening again !! ... which he did if I remember correctly so he didnt have the risk of it happening again.

Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 10:00

Glad to hear that he is OK. You must have had a real fright.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 03 2011, 10:13

Pleased he is ok,Moo did her paw last year and trying to keep the bandage dry was a nightmare and she was so frustrated that she couldn't go for proper walks Sad .

I just have the usual first for Moo, bandages etc. xX
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 11:03

aw poor little man.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 11:07

Poor Ledger, but what a star to reamain so calm! Love Struck

Andy wrote:This happened to a freinds Bull Terrier yrs back, and the vet suggested he had the other removed also to prevent it happening again !! ... which he did if I remember correctly so he didnt have the risk of it happening again.

Dempsey has ripped his dew claw twice, now. The vet won't remove them, though, cause it's a major operation because it involves bone attachments. He'll only remove them if it becomes a regular thing & affects the dog's general health. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Thu Nov 03 2011, 11:15

Sending some hugs to ledger, glad he's ok >Big Grin<
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Thu Nov 03 2011, 12:08

Poor Little Boy! Hope your paw is better soon Ledger

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Nov 03 2011, 13:34

Thanks all though he has definitely been making the most of all the attention and sympathy he has been getting.

well the bandage just fell off after a walk and he has had great pleasure in pulling all the wadding out of it Wink thankfully he isn't paying too much attention to the wound so far and he is still happy to high five with that paw Big Grin
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 14:42

ouchey!!! bless him! hope his ok Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 15:37

Poor Ledger but you must have been so proud of him being such a good boy at a time when he must have been in quite some pain..

Wishing him a speedy recovery!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down