What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies

4 posters

Go down

What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies Empty What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies

Post by Ben Tue Nov 01 2011, 22:16

Ok, so my wife and I are thinking of adding a girlfriend for Monte. We aren't interested in breeding, we just think more fun Big Grin . We already know Monte would love it! He is very friendly with every other dog he meets, but I am wondering about how he might change too. Right now he is excite to go places with us and is content to snuggle next to us all of the time. He follows me everywhere. We have never had two Staffys just bulldogs. What do y'all think? Right now he is an only dog.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies Empty Re: What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01 2011, 22:18

As long as you're prepared for double trouble, then go for it! Just be aware that they'll have to be kept apart from each other for 3 weeks, twice a year - no easy task, but not impossible.

Back to top Go down

What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies Empty Re: What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies

Post by Ben Tue Nov 01 2011, 22:25

We kinda like the trouble, otherwise why would we have 4 kids and a dog? Laughing I just wish we could clone his personality into a girlie. That would be heavenly! I think we might go for it! Maybe I should suprise my wife for Christmas! It was her idea surprisingly (alright, I may have hinted I wanted another first...).
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Tue Nov 01 2011, 22:27

Until now I have always had 2 staffies, always a dog and a bitch and its worked perfectly. In fact I would go so far as to say it was easier to bring up 2 than 1!

People told me all sorts of stories, including they would love each other and not us, and one would love my husband and one me, they would need to be kept apart and so on. None of it proved true.

I would have loved 2 again but now I'm a widow I don't think I could manage 2 on my own, plus there's not enough room in the bed Laughing

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Nov 01 2011, 22:32

Lizzie wrote:Until now I have always had 2 staffies, always a dog and a bitch and its worked perfectly. In fact I would go so far as to say it was easier to bring up 2 than 1!

People told me all sorts of stories, including they would love each other and not us, and one would love my husband and one me, they would need to be kept apart and so on. None of it proved true.

I would have loved 2 again but now I'm a widow I don't think I could manage 2 on my own, plus there's not enough room in the bed Laughing

Yeah, we had a boy and girl before as well and it was easier in some ways, especially when we were busy. I do think we will need a bigger bed. Sometimes I have no covers as it is! lol
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01 2011, 22:34

Lizzie wrote:People told me all sorts of stories, including they would love each other and not us, and one would love my husband and one me, they would need to be kept apart and so on. None of it proved true.

I've had two dogs in the past, and they've never been a problem...other than driving me bonkers with their play sometimes! However, I've seperated them when they've been left on their own. I've mainly done that because you never know what might start off a little disagreement & if you're not there to stop them it could be nasty - a friend of mine had 2 bithces who had been together all their lives. She came home one day to find the living room covered in blood & two semi-comatose staffs needing urgent vet treatment. Something obviously started them off, and there was nobody there to intervene with a sharp word, so it just escalated to a full on fight. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01 2011, 22:35

Lizzie wrote:there's not enough room in the bed Laughing

bbimson wrote: Sometimes I have no covers as it is! lol

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Tue Nov 01 2011, 23:29

Two are maybe twice the trouble but much more than twice the fun, best think i ever did was going back for Kasidy after Sisko arrived.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
What Do all y'all Think of 2 Staffies Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:03

We are thinking of adding anthor one ourselves in a year or so. I would advise taking Monte with you to see how he gets along with the potential pup. It also helps if the dogs have interacted on neutral territory first. Also try not to spoil the new dog when you get her so Monte won't get jealous.

Also agree with Caryll about keeping them seperate if they are going to be left alone. I've also known people who had some nasty dog fights between dogs that have always gotten along. Always better safe than sorry IMHO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:08

Thanks for the votes of confidence! Monte is one to get along with anybody, but I would want to be sure as well. Most likely would get another one that is a bit older (I'd like over 1.5 yrs old- kinda like to skip the cute but exhausting phase). I keep looking at the rescues, but I was hoping for another full staffy. About here, I keep finding ones that say SBT but they are huge (not even close to the standard)! I can only think they are Amstaffy or APBT. Nothing wrong with them, but I prefer the breed standard for the SBT. A little more room on the bed and couch with a SBT than the other two.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:11

yeh i know i had a good moan tonight but we are still in the adjusting to each other stage but when we first decided to get another we were advised to get a female as one male and one female get along a lot better than 2 males or 2 females would.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:21

bbimson wrote:Ok, so my wife and I are thinking of adding a girlfriend for Monte. We have never had two Staffys just bulldogs.

We were thinking of adding a Bulldog. My wife would prefer an English but because of the health issues I would prefer an American. What type did you have?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:36

jstaff wrote:
bbimson wrote:Ok, so my wife and I are thinking of adding a girlfriend for Monte. We have never had two Staffys just bulldogs.

We were thinking of adding a Bulldog. My wife would prefer an English but because of the health issues I would prefer an American. What type did you have?

I had Olde English but they are really just a cross between the two. More of an attempt to get a healthier more capable English. I too prefer the English but have nothing against the American. The English is really cute and good natured but their stature can limit their activity greatly (read "no hiking with this dog"). The American is more similar to your Suki. I would pair your dog with a good natured American Bulldog since you all seem to be more active. The Olde was kinda between, but I was always bummed because my male couldn't hang for a long walk or run. Also, both the American and the Olde can be extremely aggressive, so you have to keep working on it all of the time. If I did an American Bulldog or Olde, I'd do it from a pup. My guess is you would be happy with either, but they are almost polar opposites.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 01:15

I had an English Bulldog from the time she was a pup until she died last year at 9 1/2. She was very active for the first few years and than setteled down and really wasn't much for exercise. My wife got really attached to the dog and the breed.

I was thinking the American would be better with Suki since I think she will always be an active dog. I don't think she would have gotten along to well with my bulldog since she wasn't really into playing with other dogs too much.

I always like to get a dog as a pup so you are familiar with the history and I think they are easier to train since they haven't devolped any bad habits yet. A bit of a painfull year but worth the effort I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Nov 02 2011, 01:39

I agree that Suki is probably going to be active her whole life, but I bet she would be alright with an English bulldog as long as she knows what she learns when the other dog has run out of steam. I normally agree about the pup part. I guess it is just that I got lucky with Monte so I want to be lucky twice! Big Grin
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 03:35

Suki gets the hint when the older dogs are through playing but is still persistant with the younger ones. Since the English Bulldogs are low energy and a pup would be younger I'm not too sure how they would get along.

My wife is also the primary handler and the English Bulldogs tire much more quickly so walks could be a bit difficult. Will probally end up with an English one though since my wife is in love with the breed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 11:14

Double trouble but twice the fun Smile .. My two adore each other and it was the best decision to add skye for company for vinnie .. they keep you on your toes for the first few months but once they are settled and fully used to each other, its the best thing seeing them together! lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Wed Nov 02 2011, 11:40

Oh how I envy this thread.

I always wanted a two dog family, as a friend for Lola and another companion for me.

I came across what i thought was a perfect dog, he was 4 months old so he came home with me.
I introduced them in the garden etc.
Lola was so scared and withdrawn, she hated him. I kept them apart over night and thought things would improve but they didn't.
They fought really bad outside, and as i have a communal garden didn't think it was fair to the other neighbours.
Unfortunately I had to return him as I had to put Lola and if course my situation first.
I came to the conclusion that Lola is happy with the hoomans alone and so will not be getting another dog. But I envy you lot that have two Sad
But at least Lola is happy.
So good luck and I hope it works out as it has for so many, it's just not for us.
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 11:44

Louise C wrote:Oh how I envy this thread.

I always wanted a two dog family, as a friend for Lola and another companion for me.

I came across what i thought was a perfect dog, he was 4 months old so he came home with me.
I introduced them in the garden etc.
Lola was so scared and withdrawn, she hated him. I kept them apart over night and thought things would improve but they didn't.
They fought really bad outside, and as i have a communal garden didn't think it was fair to the other neighbours.
Unfortunately I had to return him as I had to put Lola and if course my situation first.
I came to the conclusion that Lola is happy with the hoomans alone and so will not be getting another dog. But I envy you lot that have two Sad
But at least Lola is happy.
So good luck and I hope it works out as it has for so many, it's just not for us.

^^ in some cases it doesnt work but like louise said .. the first dog must come first .. such a shame it didnt work but at least the lovely lola is happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 11:45

Louise C wrote:But at least Lola is happy.

thats the main thing that the one dog you start off with is happy. if things hadnt worked out between lottie and lemmy then she woulkd have had to go back but they seem ok together and are adjusting to each other like we all are. we'll get there but it doesnt alway t for everyone as you know by experience. i think its picking the right dog and hopefully we got it right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down