collar or harness for lead training?

3 posters

Go down

collar or harness for lead training? Empty collar or harness for lead training?

Post by WINGNUTBRUNO Tue Oct 25 2011, 20:29

Hi - Your thoughts please:

cujo is 18 months and boystrous he will walk to heel but does need to be reminded and is easily distracted.

He will sometimes pull himself hoarse on the collar however this has decreased massively over the last week since we began training - is a harness a better option?

I would also like to get the kids (10 & 12) more involved in his training to clarify they are higher in the pack and maybe the harness would give them more control?

Your thoughts please and thankyou
WINGNUTBRUNO
WINGNUTBRUNO
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Cujo
Dog Gender(s) : M
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

collar or harness for lead training? Empty Re: collar or harness for lead training?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25 2011, 20:56

I think it's whatever you and your dog are more comfortable with.

I don't like using a harness because I don't feel I have control over the 'business' end (ie the teeth!). Having said that, many people use them to great effect!

Why not try one & see if you (and he) prefer it?

Back to top Go down

collar or harness for lead training? Empty Re: collar or harness for lead training?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26 2011, 10:38

I agree with Caryll,try a harness and see how he goes.For me the harness worked out great.Cairo wont walk properly on a collar at all.Soon as i got a harness she really improved.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 26 2011, 10:53

I started Moo off with a harness, just felt I had more control, but now she walks welll so we just use a collar. Agree with above its certainly worth a try.

As for the kids, sorry I don't have any so can't advise there Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26 2011, 15:57

I personally prefer harness as i feel i have more control over them, plus they seem to walk better on them

Back to top Go down

Post by sab44 Fri Oct 28 2011, 23:18

the Sense-ible / Sense-ation front connection harnesses are excellent, I use them for both my dogs, of course you do need to do lead training as well Smile but they help hugely and take the pressure off the dogs neck. Back connecting harnesses are a disaster IMO as they dog has their whole body weight to pull against you whereas with the front connection one if the dog pulls they turn into you rather than ahead of you

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/
sab44
sab44
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down