FFS Buddy!!

4 posters

Go down

Sad FFS Buddy!!

Post by loubop Mon Oct 17 2011, 19:16

We had a bad afternoon..... i got in from work just before 2pm with my friend Billy, to be greeted with a poo and an enialated sofa cushion. And i just burst into tears!

Billy camlmed me down a bit then took Buddy outside while i started to tidy up. They came back in and Billy put him in his crate with his toys and a frest supply of pb in a ball. And he was fine in his crate till the pb ran out, then he started whinning. So he ended up being in the crate for longer than i wanted, but it was because he wasnt settling enough that i was happy to take him out. Cos i knowto not take him out when crying.

So he seems to be fine as long as he got something in a kong to keep him amused, but completly ignored his nylabone and the rawhide chew he had in his crate.

I took him out for a bit and we went outside and i tried him in again, and it was the same. The crying is horrific, he just wont settle. Then he calm, you let himout and he plonks himself down on the floor and starts to doze. Why can't he just relax and do that in the crate!?!?! so frustrating.

So, i need to get some opinions. I was following the advice on another topic about introducing him to the crate, and hes fine with the door open and wonders in and out, i even fed him in there this eve and he ate all his tea! it just seems to be when he realises he cant get out, and dosent take a monment to find another toy to play with. Now, should i try him in it overnight tonight and just hope he tires himself out crying, or try him in it again 2moror morn before work, and maybe leave him in when i go out? Or as a last resort im gonna have to take him with me and leave him in his wee car crate, which i dont really want to do, but i cant afford to leave him in the house unsupervised or uncrated!?!?!

Any ideas, more tips? ANYTHING?!?!? (And breathe!)
x
loubop
loubop
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: FFS Buddy!!

Post by Ben Mon Oct 17 2011, 19:20

It takes time to crate train, especially an older dog (not a small puppy). Try doing it for set amounts of time and gradually increase the amount of time left in the crate. That should help tremendously. I would try tonight after a long walk.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by loubop Mon Oct 17 2011, 19:34

its annoying cos he was in yesterday for an hour, 2 times, and didnt bother at all!!we r still a bit walk restricted, vets orders, but ill try him in agian for a bit once we'e been out for our short walk. im just worried about leaving him 2moro when i go to work...
loubop
loubop

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Oct 17 2011, 19:36

It probably has more to do with not being able to walk than anything else. I know it can be difficult, but it does get loads easier over time.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17 2011, 19:40

When he walks in freely close the door for a short while and just lengthen the time the door is closed for he will get stressed if he's left in it for a long while without a stepped introduction to it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17 2011, 23:12

I agree with the long walk right before bedtime as well as increasining the time he is left in the crate. We leave Suki inside when we go out and she is fine. A couple of mishaps at first but she is good for up to 5 hours now if she is exercised before we leave.

Back to top Go down

Post by magnusb Mon Oct 17 2011, 23:17

Every time I've introduced a dog to a crate I started by keeping it open all the time putting in toys and threats making the dog want to go inside. I'll keep it like that for some time before i eventually need to go out and leave the dog behind.

First time i always tire the dog out first, an exhausted dog won't really be to bothered with me leaving/being caged if its sleeping.

Nemo had his first home alone time today and it went very well I not even sure he noticed i was gone, and was still sound asleep by the time i came back.
magnusb
magnusb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Tue Oct 18 2011, 13:53

We bought a crate for milly when she was a tiny pup,We just used to put her in it when we wasnt at home.She hated the crate and she would cry and bite on the bars,Eventually we just stopped crating her i think we gave in too soon with her though,At times i wish i had kept it i gave it away to a friend for his new pup.Maybe if i hadnt been too soft with milly she would actually be using it now,I should have persevered with it realy but im a softy Laughing
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by loubop Tue Oct 18 2011, 17:17

Thats good abour nemo!

We r not having a good week at all... i woke up to a wee "present" this morning. SO i took him out, fed him and put him in crate with a chew while i tidied. I let him out as i was finishing up, i turned my back for a second, and preceeded to leave me another one.....

The crates been in the living room for over a week now, and he wasnt great about going right in by himself without major encoragement, hed grab a toy out and dash out!

today tho, hes been in it for a few time periods and isnt crying as much and actually fell asleep. its frustrating cos hes great in his wee car crate, but its too small to keep him in for a long time.

we shold be back to our proper walks 2moror evening tho, so hopefully his mood and everythign should improve!
x
loubop
loubop

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down