Need some help, please

2 posters

Go down

Need some help, please Empty Need some help, please

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 20:04

Billy is nearly one soon and so far has been the perfect dog. But we have had two incidents just recently and I don't know how to handle it.

Last weekend Billy was out on the lead and it got tangled up with a little puppies and he attacked it, luckily after a couple of nights at the vets the puppy was ok, just bruised not hurt bad.

Billy has been with a dog sitter for a couple of weeks as my OH has been away, he got back today and took Billy out, a lady who he sees regular came up to him and said Billy attacked another small dog in the woods and went for his throat and bit him, Billy was off his lead. My hubby spoke to the dog sitter who said something happened but she was exaggerating. My hubby took him for this second walk and met another person who was there and said that it really did happen and it was the most terrible thing that they had ever seen.

I would like some advice on how to handle this and what do we need to do, we are all mortified.

I have heard that maybe a diet of less that 10 per cent protein can calm them down, maybe have him done. I don't want to be scared to take him out for a walk, even if he is on a lead, as other peoples dogs may not be.

I would love all advise please. Sorry it's so lng
Smile

Back to top Go down

Need some help, please Empty Re: Need some help, please

Post by janey Fri Oct 14 2011, 20:13

I just don't no hun, Moo and Billy where so so great together. Here if you wanna a chat Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 20:26

Thanks Janey, will call you over the weekend
Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Oct 14 2011, 23:44

Oh poor you !!!!!!! Me all over again been there, to me billy is at the age of maturity and testosterone, billy is a dog first but then hes a stafford a heart of gold in one sence and a heart of a lion in another . There is a saying they may not start a scrap but they sure will finish one .
Check his body language with the first instance did you see anything that could of sparked this off most of the time its when they feel trapped or some other dog is annoying them they will stand there ground im afraid.
Dont be scared thats the last thing he needs but keep him on lead and study his body language for a while but if you see him getting dominant correct him but try to keep sociolising him see how he goes.
He may just be going through a phase so dont think all is lost keep up his training and love the dog he is >Big Grin<
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 00:21

As far as the leads getting tangled I can sympathise. this happened with Dempsey about 18 months ago with a small dog he'd always been best of friends with. The more they got tangled the more he panicked & he eventually went for the other little'un. He now can't stand the sight of this dog!

Other than that, I agree with gem. Keep him on a lead near other dogs for a while & watch his (and the other dogs') body language - see what, if anything, sparks him off. If you see him beginning to stiffen etc, then correct him.

However, just be aware that he's at an age when if he's not going to like other dogs it'll start to show.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 02:31

Oh Sad

Sorry, i can't offer any advice but I hope you are able to get things sorted soon and find out what is triggering him off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 10:38

Thanks for the advice, he will be kept on a lead, but another question

If he ends up not liking any dogs, what do we do if another dog approaches him and is off lead and there is a fight, he is very strong and I would have said he is obedient, any advice on how to handle it, also would we get in trouble if anything happens to the other dog.

Sorry about all this, but we never want this to happen again and want to be prepared.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 12:24

Agree with all keep him on lead and pay attention to body language. Having him neutered may help but it may not. I also believe a lower protien diet lowers the level of aggression but unless his diet is extremly high in protein than a reduction wouldn't result in much of a difference.

If the problem is only with smaller dogs you could always give him a sit and stay command when they are approaching and take care not to let them interact.

Not sure what to tell you about being approached by a dog offlead without a handler nearby since that doesn't happen over here very often. Sadly at the 1-2 year mark their personality can change so just be cautious and keep a close on on him.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Oct 15 2011, 12:58

Dont be sorry and dont think that far ahead but yes be prepared , I can only share my experiences I have, my lad is 9 and only had one fight that dog was as eager as him to have a go and was controlled by a child who could not hold on to him and this happened in the street.Its a bit blurry but this is what I remember I was panicking but as my boy had a good hold of the other dog I managed to get hold of him between my legs and held him as still as I could I kept hold of his lead and twisted it and eventually he released a bit but as he did he grabbed again but got my arm and the other dog legged it I would say some say let go of the lead but im so glad I kept hold as he would defo have ran after it and kept on going or got ran over it was very hard to calm him after that so I say if you can keep hold of him.
My dog there is no warning growling, stiff, nothing and if another dog was in striking distance then its instant with him yet if im telling him (dont you dare im watching you )he will stand at a safe distance calmly he doesnt lunge or bark at them if you know what I mean . He has a comfort zone he knows it and I know it and only by watching your dog carefully will you find that . I find dogs off lead know that hes not freindly they stop just before him and walk past really not wanting a confrontation I think sometimes young imature dogs do come over wagging there tails and I pick him up from the front him secure in between my legs and kind of get him in a strangle hold if you know what I mean .
I feel I can control the situation with him unless the other dog equally wants to have a go and as far as I know the law would be on my side as mine is on the lead and the other dog is the one not under control thats why I will not muzzle him . Other than this he is a big soft lump and a joy to own so gentle with our girl and family and trained really well I might get others not agreeing but for me thats what a true stafford is.
I think if Billy gives you warning that hes getting to the point of a fight thats good you have the chance with training to alter his thinking good luck and keep us posted we are here for you and dont beat yourself up about it you know you have done all the sociolising its a shock but not the end of the world Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 15:02

Thank you gem for your reply.

jstaff I am thinking about changing his food to lower protein I've heard it helps and he is on raw at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum