Chewing

+2
gem
cmt
6 posters

Go down

Chewing Empty Chewing

Post by cmt Wed Oct 12 2011, 22:09

Do staffs ever stop chewing? Nala is pretty much totally house trained now, but she is left when I work 3 days a week! She is alovely dog, very excitable and will be 1 end of November, however she is still quite a bit of a chewer! She has chewed all 4 of my leather chairs in my kitchen, all my door frames and skirting boards which she still occassionally has a go at, in addition, because she was going to stay at my friends the other day I folded her crate up and put it in the car ready, popped the kids to school and left her in the kitchen without her crate for about 20 mins, came back to fine a hole in my wall! Do they grow out of it?!
cmt
cmt
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Chewing Empty Re: Chewing

Post by Guest Wed Oct 12 2011, 22:12

They do grow out of it, but some take a bit longer than others. I know Dempsey's an EBT, but he still occasionally forgets himself & chews something he shouldn't!

My old boy, Bandit, grew out of it wheh he was about 18 months old or so, but he'd still have the odd pop at something if we went out & he wanted to go with us but couldn't!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Oct 12 2011, 22:18

Im so lucky and im touching wood as I write but my 2 have never chewed anything only there own toys Ive not a clue why otherwise I could become famous selling my secrets Laughing Ive never used a crate on either although I do think they are a godsend
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13 2011, 06:33

woody is 20 months now and he is just about stopping the chewing, he has been a really bad chewer in the past!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13 2011, 08:23

i'm with Gem on this, touching wood as I type, Billy is not a chewer Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13 2011, 08:37

puppies chew more while theyre teething so you need to have plenty things about that she can chew on other than your furniture and walls. cool things from the fridge and freezer like rope toys soaked in water then froze or icepops and plenty chews and tough toys. distract her from anything she is chewing by offering an alternative. it does get better once they have all their big teeth.

Back to top Go down

Post by loubop Thu Oct 13 2011, 16:53

when do staffys get all their big teeth?? i have no idea?
loubop
loubop

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13 2011, 17:11

generally by the time they are 6 months they should have all there adult teeth although most of them seem to get them at about 4 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13 2011, 20:19

_julie_ wrote:puppies chew more while theyre teething so you need to have plenty things about that she can chew on other than your furniture and walls. cool things from the fridge and freezer like rope toys soaked in water then froze or icepops and plenty chews and tough toys. distract her from anything she is chewing by offering an alternative. it does get better once they have all their big teeth.

julie i think some of them just do it out of naughtiness, woody had a crate full of toys/things designed for helping with teething.......did he want them?no he wanted to chew stuff he wasnt supposed to!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13 2011, 21:12

You have to teach them what they can and can't chew. There are products out there such as Bitter Apple you can pit on things you don't want them to chew.

Are you at home when she chews things she shouldn't? If not it could be seperation aniexty.

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Thu Oct 13 2011, 21:28

Milly is also a chewer she has chewed my pine dresser i have in my dining room its the nobs she has chewed on and the corner.Came home monday and she had chewed my door frame.In the kitchen .My kids are sods for leaving earphones on the floors in there bedrooms she must have chewed through at least 7 pairs and also there phone chargers but i dont tell her off for that they know what shes like with them so they shouldnt leave them on the floor for her to get.Im forever unplugging things When we are out i go round the house making sure nothing is left plugged in she has been a sod for wires
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by cmt Thu Oct 13 2011, 23:25

jstaff wrote:You have to teach them what they can and can't chew. There are products out there such as Bitter Apple you can pit on things you don't want them to chew.

Are you at home when she chews things she shouldn't? If not it could be seperation aniexty.

No I am at work, the days when I am home she is good, but one day I litterally left her for 20 mins, but had taken her crate and put it in the car ready and when I came back to get her she'd chewed a hole in my wall where the crate usually stands - it was a normal flat plasterboarded wall!
cmt
cmt

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by four leaf clover Sun Oct 16 2011, 12:07

Diesel is a chewer. He chewed a hole in my hallway carpet and tries to steal shoes if they are left laying around. Teddies normally bear the brunt of it. He's around a year old the rescue home said, so Im praying he'll grow out of it eventually!
four leaf clover
four leaf clover
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Chewing Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Clover
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Females
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sun Oct 16 2011, 15:41

We have been lucky with Sophie, apart from trying to take any shoes left laying around she has only destroyed some of her toys and bedding.
She does love her rawhide bones though and spends ages chewing on them.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Sun Oct 16 2011, 21:30

Ive bought milly a big raw hide chew hopefully this may stop the chewing of the house. banghead And pigs might fly
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down