samandpebbles
shep
youngkaiser
Steve
70 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Do you let your dog off lead ?

Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Pbucket35%Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Pbucket 35% 
[ 84 ]
Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Pbucket54%Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Pbucket 54% 
[ 130 ]
Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Pbucket11%Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Pbucket 11% 
[ 28 ]

Total Votes : 242

Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Empty Do you let your dog off lead ?

Post by Steve Tue Oct 26 2010, 21:59

First topic message reminder :

Do you let your dog off lead ?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do you let your dog off lead ?

Post by iamajc Wed Dec 05 2012, 17:43

Storm is off lead more than on it. He will sometimes go up to other dogs and other times won't bother, He thinks he's everybodies best new friend. If another dog snaps at him he treats it as a game of chase and runs. I have to keep an eye on him if it's a boxer or GSD but he won't attack them just barks at them but this has only happened 3 or 4 times in nearly 4 yrs.
I have good recall with him and only put him on the lead if we're walking on a very busy road or if there is no pavement and we are walking on the road. I got to the shop last week, about a 20 min walk and took his lead out of my pocket to tie him up and realised I hadn't put his collar or harness on confused that was a first, he'll try to follow me into the shop Big Grin
iamajc
iamajc
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Storm
Dog(s) Ages : about 7 was a stray
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do you let your dog off lead ?

Post by IrishStaffy Thu Mar 28 2013, 20:43

My girl is very DA so I won't let her off unless I am sure she is alone in a fenced enclosure. Also the couple times she has gotten away from me I have had people try to steal her from me. Asking to prove I own her as they hold her leash and try walking away. Unbelievable! Of course I would never let that happen! Do they really think I didn't chip her?!
IrishStaffy
IrishStaffy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by caro Fri Nov 08 2013, 18:26

No never,as we have only had her for just over one year,and we don't know anything about her,she was a rescue...she is a big softie,and loving little girl,but she does not take to many other dogs,so we keep her close for her own safety and our own conscience.,would hate to lose her for any reason.
caro
caro

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 8 year old (Rescue Staffie)
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 08 2013, 20:16

I'd vote "no", but not because he doesn't like other dogs. The problem is quite the reverse, he loves other dogs so much that he will chase them to the ends of the earth and goes completely deaf to me.

So I haven't voted (although I'd love to see the results) merely because my vote would be mis-representative.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Nov 10 2013, 17:29

I voted no but its not because she doesn't like other dogs, her recall is just not 100% so I'm not risking it. I'd never forgive myself is some thing happened to her. Instead we have a flex lead and several long lines
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10 2013, 17:32

sometimes but only when other dogs aren't around . Tilly is cool once a dog is 20-30 metres away but Tommy may or may not go barging in and then it would really depend how the other dog responds .
I could walk all day with them off lead no worries with really good recall as long as no other dogs.
OH and Jen never let them off unless I am there with them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:10

Harvey still off lead, and has brilliant recall so off lead every where appropriate.

Chance still on lead 99% of places and will be for life so no change there

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenby Wed Jan 01 2014, 19:40

Yes everyday, where there are no other dogs.
Tenby
Tenby
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 8

http://sharoc.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Jan 01 2014, 19:43

Hi Tenby, welcome to the forum  Big Grin Come and say hi  Big Grin 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Wed Jan 01 2014, 22:06

No only had 5weeks, previous owners never let him off (when they bothered to walk him). No recall and not trusted with other dogs. Shame would love to be able to, maybe one day.
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Mon Mar 17 2014, 21:41

willow is allowed off lead as she is whistle trained. but i never let chester off he has extendable lead let him off once and he got into a fight with another dog (it was more of a rolly polly tumble) actually plus he has a dislocated knee cap which i have to keep an eye on
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon Mar 17 2014, 21:44

I use a longer lead for Suki on occasions. Usally on a beach or other area I want her to be able to roam without feeling constrained. Espically when I am not yet comforatable with her recall command. I like to keep her within a 20 meter radius so that I can interveine if I feel uncomfortable. I guess it depends on how quickly you can get to the dogs spot and how good they are on recall. I like to give her as much freedom as possible but am very cautious about a negative interaction..

JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Tue Mar 18 2014, 22:27

feel exactly the same whistle training worked really well with willow took a while but even now when she returns when i blow my whistle she gets a treat whether im putting her back on lead or just practicing her recall i never tell her off for not coming back immediately but she doesnt get a treat if she doesnt willow is fine with other dogs but there are so many idiots that let their dogs off that are not dog friendly it never ceases to amaze me! chester does not get off lead as he would not be whistle trained (have tried) and be a menace shame but needs must!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kye Thu May 01 2014, 17:56

- willowthewisp - its nice to see more and more good owners , where i live there far too many idiots with staffies and all sorts, staffies are beautiful dogs i have a 3.5 year old red bitch and shes so friendly but i realize that people that don't know her don't know shes friendly and never been aggressive so im careful with her and keep her on the lead in public , unlike 90% or dog owners in Glasgow .
i think we should have a colours collar scheme in the uk for dogs, (red) is can be unfriendly and can be dog or people aggressive , (orange) is a bit wild and can be a menace to people and dogs but not a biter (yellow) friendly but not trained , (green) fully trained , not dog aggressive or people aggressive and as safe as a dog can be .
my traffic light explanation is not 100% right i just made up what the colours mean but you get the drift right ?.
kye
kye
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : kye
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

http://mansonryan@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 01 2014, 20:24

All the time, she loves it and her recall is great Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Fri May 02 2014, 23:05

kye wrote:- willowthewisp - its nice to see more and more good owners , where i live there far too many idiots with staffies and all sorts, staffies are beautiful dogs i have a 3.5 year old red bitch and shes so friendly but i realize that people that don't know her don't know shes friendly and never been aggressive  so im careful with her and keep her on the lead in public , unlike 90% or dog owners in Glasgow .
i think we should have a colours collar scheme in the uk for dogs, (red) is can be unfriendly and can be dog or people aggressive ,  (orange) is a bit wild and can be a menace to people and dogs but not a biter (yellow) friendly but not trained ,  (green) fully trained , not dog aggressive or people aggressive and as safe as a dog can be .
my traffic light explanation is not 100% right i just made up what the colours mean but you get the drift right ?.
hi kye there is a site i looked at recently called "friendly dog collars" that are colour and phrase schemed ie "NO DOGS" i have my reservations about some people either taking no notice or worse if any scuffle happening my dog would be immediately blamed if he had this collar on some of them look ok though! there are just to many idiots out there with dogs where not only the dog needs training but the owner needs it more!! its a good idea but how many dog owners would use it i dont have much faith! even yelling at people "my dog is not dog friendly" doesnt work  at wits end
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by knarla2014 Mon Jan 12 2015, 14:41

with my new dog it is "sometimes" with my old staff.. well she never ever had a lead on, it might sound stupid and careless and maybe it was, but she never even owned a lead untill she got to 14/15 yr old and went deaf then she couldnt hear my commands so it was a must at all times after then, she was simply a clever girl and went everywhere with me, even to work, she was never aggressive and had more road sense than your average adult..
knarla2014
knarla2014

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : knarla
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 12 2015, 16:09

My 'sometimes' is really a 'usually except when other dogs are around'. He's very full on (what a surprise) and a lot of other owners can't cope with a Staffordshire 'duff!'. Nola will often take the opportunity to bugger off, so we clip them both on and life is simpler.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Mon Jan 12 2015, 17:10

I would have said most of the time if that was an option.
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan and Holly Mon Jan 12 2015, 19:08

I let Stanley off the lead every day and he's fine with other dogs and people, i only put him on if we're near roads etc or if i don't like the looks etc of another dog/person. I don't have to worry about Stan just them. His recall is fantastic too and i use him to get other people's dogs back when they can't do it themselves. They're more likely to let theirs off because of this so it benefits their dogs too. Smile His best mate is another male Staffy called Reggie and they've always played like brothers. He's brown with a white bowling ball head. Cool
Stan and Holly
Stan and Holly

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Years 4/6/10
Support total : 52

https://2img.net/i/fa/pbucket.gif

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Jan 12 2015, 19:14

Flo is always off lead when in a park or in safe parts of the countryside. She's on lead whilst walking along the road (sometimes off if it's a really quiet back road) and always back on the lead if we come across another on lead dog or there is livestock anywhere near.

For a Dog that cannot hear she has fantastic recall (puts others to shame) but will struggle if upwind from us.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Do you let your dog off lead ? - Page 3 B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Feb 11 2015, 23:11

nope and for this reason https://youtu.be/R4sCXH48iSw they can run 8 km in less than 20 mins with me attached so god knows what they can do free style. thankfully no prey around... i was very lucky indeed
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3