Raw diet and toilet

2 posters

Go down

Raw diet and toilet  Empty Raw diet and toilet

Post by smudge95 Wed Dec 02 2015, 16:10

hi Looking for a bit of advice , I have decided to start feeding Buddy on a raw diet as he was not eating his kibble at all - It has been nearly 3 weeks and he is enjoying his food ( not in a bowl still but..he is eating ) the first few days his toilet was a bit loose but reading up on feeding raw seemed to be what was expected . Last week all was good his toilet was not so often and definitely not so smelly , but the last couple of days he has messed in his crate once at night and a couple of times during the day . he is being feed Nutriment complete raw mince until I get my head around the whole concept and start adding raw treats and carcasses etc.

I am not sure if it is because he is still getting used to the food or if he has forgotten his crate training ( he is just 9 months ) as I have read on here that some people have had to start again with their dogs around this age . He has been crate trained since 8 weeks old and I have never really had any issues with him - odd accidents but as  expected - he has been clean of a night since 14 weeks and has never been left during the day for more than 3 hours - his toilet is normal - so it is not the runs..

not sure how to approach it - start retraining - taking him out every hour or so or re adjust his feeding and walking times due to raw food .. any one else who started raw had any toilet issues or is it his age ?

Last edited by smudge95 on Fri Dec 04 2015, 08:55; edited 1 time in total
smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Raw diet and toilet  Empty Re: Raw diet and toilet

Post by Mia05 Wed Dec 02 2015, 16:18

Hiya carol may take a while for his stomach to settle when it does their loo breaks are odourless andsmaallerwhat i read anywayboth u and buddy need time to adjust and see ideally what works best for him its all a learning curve. Smile
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 02 2015, 20:19

Don't stress yet, Carol, it happens. I know Millie went through a patch where it seemed like she'd forgotten everything but we just went back to basics and within a week she was back on track. I doubt if it's the food, more just one of those things that puppies seem to do.

Great news that he's eating ok, albeit not from a bowl!

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Thu Dec 03 2015, 08:34

hi thanks both - I am guessing it is not the food .. his behaviour has been a little naughty too the last couple of days chewing his bed again! chasing the cat really roughly , so I think he s maybe pushing boundaries..He is eating Liz.. far more raw mince than he did kibble .. still cant get him to eat out of a bowl but will eat from his Kong .. only problem I have is the kong has to be filled twice for him to have enough to satisfy him so I cant leave him with it I have to be with him to refill, have tried two at the same time but then he plays instead of eating...he needs to grow a bit to use the next size up as his tongue isn't long enough to reach the food , and he got very stressed about it when I tried it and launched it in my lap in disgust and I had to dig the food out for him.. dirty looks for the rest of the day... .. will see how we get on today ..his toilet is a lot less with the raw , I think I will have to diarise the time scales between food and toilet and adjust feeding to fit in with daily routines .
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down