Staffy Meal Plan...

+2
janey
stuandlee
6 posters

Go down

Staffy Meal Plan... Empty Staffy Meal Plan...

Post by stuandlee Mon Sep 05 2011, 15:45

Hi again!

Our staffy stinks. Ok, he doesnt just stink- it makes people clear a room, no joke. Our friends were heaving at the dinner table the other night. And then he looks at us like, who did that?!

He has also started to lick his paw LOADS - its very red and the vet seem to think its down to diet. He gave us some bathing stuff called neem 40 but I cant see it making any difference to it. He licks it constantly and its red. Doesnt seem to hurt him but he CONSTANTLY is licking it!

Anyway, we were told to change his diet - he is currently on Winalot, Chum & Bran because thats what my husbands parents dogs have always been on.
It would have that for dinner. For breakfast he would have the milk and cereal left over from the kids which he ADORES (is that ok?) and for lunch, 5 tiny biscuit bones.

We were told to feed him raw meet and vegetables but this sounds like it could be hugely expensive and time consuming for dinner time? What would be the ideal meal plan for a 2 year old staffy?

Thanks guys!!!

stuandlee
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralf
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy Meal Plan... Empty Re: Staffy Meal Plan...

Post by janey Mon Sep 05 2011, 15:50

Mine is fed on James Welbeloved, she was on Royal Canin and used to pop a lot but since being on this it has calmed. Here's a link with dry foods that are recomended

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t598-dry-food-recommendations?highlight=dry+food+re

I'm afraid its a bit of a Staffy trait to pop! Charcole biscuits can help too.

Alternitavly, feed raw. It isn't expensive and is great for them, just doesn't suit all, worth looking into though. X
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 16:07

If you're interested in feeding raw (often recommended for allergies), have a look at these....

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/whatisrmb.php

and

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t2170-looking-into-barf?highlight=barf

Have a look through these, and then if you have any specific questions, ask away!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 16:24

Staffies are known for 'stinking' but alot of it can be down to diet, i personally few raw and my lad now very rarely clears a room anymore! which is nice Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 16:28

we feed billy raw and he can still clear a room

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Mon Sep 05 2011, 18:42

Daves on royal canin and very rarely does a trouser cough,but he did more so on james well beloved but still not very often,all dogs will be different try a few untill you find what works best for you and your dog.
Double_G
Double_G
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dave
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Sep 05 2011, 20:23

sasha on arden grange n the smell she makes just really not lady like at all
alien !
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Mon Sep 05 2011, 21:56

we switched to raw because of Mambo's allergy and his extremely sensitive stomach... we're still looking for the best type of meat to feed him though (for example we recently found out - through try and error - that he's probably allergic to beef). but we went through a few dry foods including the top shelf ones and they just didn't work for him.

feeding raw is definitely not expensive, i'd say it's cheaper than feeding dry food and it doesn't take much time to prepare the food because it's what it says - raw! Smile

after we switched he stopped farting (well, almost Tongues ), he poops 2-3 times a day (used to do it more than 5 times!) and in general he looks better Smile

but it definitely depends on the dog - i had a boxer before, he lived 13 years eating only dry food and it was always rather medium-quality brands.
i think you just have to try different types of food (gradually) and see what works best for your dog Smile
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffy Meal Plan... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 21:59

spuker1 wrote:we switched to raw because of Mambo's allergy and his extremely sensitive stomach... we're still looking for the best type of meat to feed him though (for example we recently found out - through try and error - that he's probably allergic to beef). but we went through a few dry foods including the top shelf ones and they just didn't work for him.

feeding raw is definitely not expensive, i'd say it's cheaper than feeding dry food and it doesn't take much time to prepare the food because it's what it says - raw! Smile

My vet (the one who supports me feeding Dempsey raw!) recommended venison as a hypo-allergic meat.

What planet is he on, I wonder - has he seen the price of venison? If you can buy the whole deer it's not so bad, but I couldn't butcher it & even if I did, I've nowhere to keep it!

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Mon Sep 05 2011, 22:05

my dad got his hunter license last month, pity he lives so far away, he would happily share some of his prey with Mambo, I'm sure Big Grin

we're trying rabbit meat atm, it definitely works better for Mambo than beef...
on the other hand, i'm concerned about other types of raw food like tripe for example i know he should eat that too, but i don't know whether it will cause allergic reaction or not.
similar with bones - after he eats them he gets horrible constipation Sad
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 22:07

Tripe rarely causes allergic reactions, although it does soften a dog's poo, so you wouldn't want to feed it too much or too often.

With the bones, you have to find the right level when you feed raw - too much & they get constipated, too little & they get soft poo.

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Mon Sep 05 2011, 22:12

Mambo gets constipated very easily then... one day he ate a few egg shells and that was a HUGE problem already:D
it's so silly when i think about how sensitive he is, he looks like a strong and tough guy but really he's like a little spoiled and soft princess Big Grin

we're buying some more meat for him tomorrow so we're going to get some tripe as well
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 22:15

I get a large bag of frozen tripe chunks, and add some to his main meal 2 or 3 times a week. He also gets either liver or kidney 2 or 3 times a week, but only a small amount each time. Offal's very important in a raw diet.

Back to top Go down

Post by volsung Tue Sep 06 2011, 03:29

stuandlee wrote:Anyway, we were told to change his diet - he is currently on Winalot, Chum & Bran because thats what my husbands parents dogs have always been on.
It would have that for dinner. For breakfast he would have the milk and cereal left over from the kids which he ADORES (is that ok?) and for lunch, 5 tiny biscuit bones.

We were told to feed him raw meet and vegetables but this sounds like it could be hugely expensive and time consuming for dinner time? What would be the ideal meal plan for a 2 year old staffy?

Thanks guys!!!

Try the following link for "50 Most Frequently Asked BARF Questions Newcomers Ask!" it has some good information (and links) to get most people started if thinking about going down that road.....

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

Hope this helps.
volsung
volsung
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stash
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 20

http://www.deaconhost.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 08:17

billy has been sick the last 2 times he had tripe but was ok before that
??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 14:24

lynne wrote:billy has been sick the last 2 times he had tripe but was ok before that
??

Try just adding a small amount with his meat. Tripe's quite a strong 'meat' and can take a bit of getting used to (it took Dempsey 5 seconds). It's worth persevering with, though, it has so many good properties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down