+2
janey
i love leah and lois
6 posters

Go down

fireworks Empty fireworks

Post by i love leah and lois Sun Sep 04 2011, 18:13

Hi
that time of the year will be here again soon.Firework going of from oct to way past nov.My old boy and my little jess are terified of them they puff and pant and follow me all over the house shaking.And it can start to become a bit annoying.Milly may be the same or maybe not with it being the first time for her to hear them.Ive been told by vets i can buy this plug in that as no smell to us humans.but realises a odour that dogs can smell and that it helps settle them as anyone on the forum tried these
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

fireworks Empty Re: fireworks

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04 2011, 18:16

This wil be billys first firework night so I have no experience. Will be looking at these answers with interest
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Sep 04 2011, 18:31

Not had to use them myself, Moo couldn't bat an eye lid. Here's a link to where we've talked about it before. https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/search?search_keywords=fireworks
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Sun Sep 04 2011, 21:15

Some helpful tips we dread it every bonfire night it wouldnt be so bad if it just was bonfire night but its weeks before with the fireworks and weeks after.Im guessing its young lads doing it.they should ban it Im going to have a look round for those plugins and try them this november
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

fireworks Empty fireworks

Post by i love leah and lois Sun Sep 04 2011, 21:16

Some helpful tips we dread it every bonfire night it wouldnt be so bad if it just was bonfire night but its weeks before with the fireworks and weeks after.Im guessing its young lads doing it.they should ban it Im going to have a look round for those plugins and try them this november
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 01:00

I'm told that DAP Diffusers work, although I've not tried them. With a couple of my previous dogs I've had to resort to sedatives from the vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by indie Fri Sep 09 2011, 12:50

I used the diffusers when my girl was little, not for fire works - she doesn't really even notice them but where we live is touristy and there are fireworks EVERY friday and saturday for 3 months of the summer. It would be a nightmare living here if she reacted badly to them. I used the diffuser for her because she hated being left alone, even for a quick 10 mins to the shop and back and the neighbours kept complaining about the whining. It did seem to settle her, but I found it needed about an hour of being switched on to be fully effective. Shes fine with being alone now, I don't know if it was the diffuser or just that shes older now and has finally accepted that shes not being abandoned forever. Sorry I couldn't be more help with the fireworks but for generally calming a dog I think the diffusers have to be worth a shot.

indie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Kobiko Fri Sep 09 2011, 22:43

I used the diffuser for kobi as he suffers with separation anxiety but I have to say it didn't work for him,it made no difference at all to be honest.His issue was chewing when he was left alone,he was so bad he ate through the door to his room then when we repaired it with a metal plate he ate through the wall instead!! Even with the diffuser he continued to chew so for him it did not work,but maybe for nervousness with the fireworks it will.One thing I would recommend is shoping around,I bought mine from the vet and that was a costly mistake,I paid double because I knew nothing about it,when I got home and looked online I found lots of places sell it at a fraction of the cost.Kobi dosent suffer that much anymore by the way,he just grew out of it.
Kobiko
Kobiko
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jade and kobi
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kobiko Fri Sep 09 2011, 22:45

You can also buy dap collars instead of the diffuser.
Kobiko
Kobiko

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jade and kobi
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10 2011, 01:07

http://www.thundershirt.com/

have you looked into thundershirts?? they certainly work on my old staffy Jethro. might be worth a try...

Back to top Go down

Post by jenna Sun Sep 11 2011, 16:40

Tyson used to be a little jumpy and scared around fireworks, but now he is used to them as we hear them a lot around here with all the celebrations. Now he just lays around and doesn't mind them that much Smile

Yes, thundershirts could be worth a try.
jenna
jenna

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson (Ty)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Sep 11 2011, 20:50

My vet did a free firework fear assessment explained about DAP and lent me a desensitisation DVD to try first which has different firework noises then plays a full display it then goes on to the same with storms and gunshots

I played it a bit louder than it recommended for the first play but Ledger just tipped his head at the tv for a minute then lay down and slept, problem is when he cant tell where the noise is coming from he gets really quite frantic
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down