Tail Chasing

3 posters

Go down

Tail Chasing Empty Tail Chasing

Post by MickMac93 Sun Aug 28 2011, 10:38

Hi,

My pup Bella constantly chases her tail. She only does it when I am watching her or if i throw a toy etc. She will be running for the toy then run around in circles chasing her tail as she runs towards it. How can i make her stop, it looks stupid and is really obsessive.

Cheers not worthy
MickMac93
MickMac93
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Tail Chasing Empty Re: Tail Chasing

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 13:49

Every time she does it, stop all play & say 'leave it!'. Stop her physically if you can. Hopefully she'll realise that if she tail-chases she gets no fun & she'll stop.

Although tail chasing can be cute, it can also become obsessive & even dangerous.

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Sun Aug 28 2011, 17:29

looks so funny when they do it, but if left unchecked this can turn in to a pain to get rid of...
and turn in to a mental thing...

but im sure as long as correct her when ever she dose it it will pass...

a bottile with some stones in it....
scott
scott
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stich lelo
Dog Gender(s) : stich(m) lelo(f)
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 17:41

interesting.. as Bella is Winston's sister..and Winston was doing that abit a while back too. Thankfully we told him off most times we caught him doing it, and he hardly ever does it now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 01:36

vanessa wrote:

interesting.. as Bella is Winston's sister..

I didn't know that! I've missed so much over the last few days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 02:25

My aunt's EBT has gotten obsessive about tail chasing. It's so bad now that her paws are all swollen. They don't even know what to do with her now. If it's getting obsessive, definitely try to stop it before it gets too bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 03:18

CatStina wrote:My aunt's EBT has gotten obsessive about tail chasing. It's so bad now that her paws are all swollen. They don't even know what to do with her now. If it's getting obsessive, definitely try to stop it before it gets too bad.

For one as bad as you are describing getting a buster collar from your vet and making sure it stays on for when your aunt can not correct her is a must.
ebt do have necks as wide as their head so it is hard so attaching the buster to a harness would be wise and easily done to prevent further discomfort.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 05:38

Caryll wrote:
vanessa wrote:

interesting.. as Bella is Winston's sister..

I didn't know that! I've missed so much over the last few days!

ttp://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t7526-winston-meets-his-sister-bella?highlight=bella

check this out Caryll!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 13:44

MissRogue wrote:
CatStina wrote:My aunt's EBT has gotten obsessive about tail chasing. It's so bad now that her paws are all swollen. They don't even know what to do with her now. If it's getting obsessive, definitely try to stop it before it gets too bad.

For one as bad as you are describing getting a buster collar from your vet and making sure it stays on for when your aunt can not correct her is a must.
ebt do have necks as wide as their head so it is hard so attaching the buster to a harness would be wise and easily done to prevent further discomfort.
Thanks for the input. What is a Buster Collar? Google turned up many different things, from a shock collar to a cone and neither of those seem like they would help very much with her tail chasing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 14:48

CatStina wrote:
MissRogue wrote:

Thanks for the input. What is a Buster Collar? Google turned up many different things, from a shock collar to a cone and neither of those seem like they would help very much with her tail chasing.

A buster i meant the cone one i'll never suggest a shock collar, if the cone is long enough she wont be able to see her tail and therefore want to chase it but corrections must be made as well. leash correction or as one suggested a noise distraction as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 14:56

At this point I think it's more of a twirling thing, I think she's just going through the motions. She doesn't even have to see her tail in order to start the motions. I'll suggest it to my aunt, though, thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 15:00

CatStina wrote:At this point I think it's more of a twirling thing, I think she's just going through the motions. She doesn't even have to see her tail in order to start the motions. I'll suggest it to my aunt, though, thanks!

Another thing that may help is actually training her to spin on command many use this technique for barkers so they only actually bark when requested to worked with my Taz.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 23:00

MissRogue wrote:

EBTs are known for OCD. A buster collar won't work, as the behaviour is Obsessive Compulsive. The dog will carry on spinning/tail chasing even with the collar on. The only thing you can do with a dog like that is to re-train - every time the spinning starts you have to distract & change whatever you're doing to break the habit. Some vets will also prescribe anti-depressants to calm the dog.

Unfortunately, it never goes away completely, and you have to be 'on your toes' for the rest of the dog's life. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 23:15

we do the SPEAK thing so you can actualy get him to understand when you want him to shut up. as for tail spinning lemmy doe it now and again and the only thing he doe sis make himself dizzy and fall over but its only an occasional thing not compulsive. he caught it one day when he laid down and thats when he realised it was attached to him cos he yelped a bit when he bit it

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Aug 31 2011, 16:09

We had a great thread about this a while back, do you know how long we keep old posts for Caryll? Im going to look for it
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com