Excited early morning wake-ups!

3 posters

Go down

Excited early morning wake-ups! Empty Excited early morning wake-ups!

Post by rach_ao8 Sat Aug 20 2011, 01:02

Hi all! wave I am new here and have so far read some very useful and interesting information in previous posts about these beautiful natured dogs!
I have just one real problem with my Chevy girl that I'd like to "nip in the bud". She is soooo excited in the mornings and jumps all over hubby and my heads, she lick & bites and paws & claws at us until we wake up and show her some love, even then though she still doesn't settle. She sleeps with us (I know this will be trouble when she's bigger!) so it isn't like she missed us through the night and is now excited to see us, she also has access to the backyard through the night and in the morning through a doggy door so I don't think she is waking us to go to the toilet...
So far I have read to ignore hyperactive behaviour and praise her for the behaviour we want her to display but this is very difficult to do whilst still trying to sleep. Does anyone else have an early morning excited Staff and any useful tips?
Other than this I believe we have a very well-behaved puppy and feel a little like we've hit the jackpot with her! Big Grin
rach_ao8
rach_ao8
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chevy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Excited early morning wake-ups! Empty Re: Excited early morning wake-ups!

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 02:12

Hi & Excited early morning wake-ups! Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Excited early morning wake-ups! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Excited early morning wake-ups! Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Excited early morning wake-ups! Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Excited early morning wake-ups! Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Excited early morning wake-ups! Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 02:22

First of all Hi wave and Welcome to the forum Big Grin Another Aussie to the count Laughing
Glad you've had a bit of a look around and gained some info already.

Oh, the early morning excitement ....... yes I know where you are coming from.

I have never had a dog sleep in my room or on my bed, so can not really offer any advice but i'm sure somebody will be along soon to offer help / advice.

Would love to see some pics of young Chevy when you have the time Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 06:44

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Suki sleeps with us as well but we have a really big bed so there's lots of room. She will normally get up and follow the first one of us to wake up and if you close the door the other person can sleep in. I think her being excited is one of two things:

She's still very young and is naturally going to get very excited alot . The other thing is that dogs crave a routine and this is when she thinks it's time to get up. Suki was just like this when she a around that age but she gained some independance and it isn't an issue anymore. We didn't do anything to teach her to stop she just kind of did it on her own.

Now if someone, usually me, is sleeping in and the other person opens the bedroom door she will act like an alarm clock again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 14:26

Hi from me and Harvey!

I let harv sleep on our bed and for the first few nights although he settled to sleep really quickly, he got very excited in the morning when we got up. We basically just ignored him and carried on with what ever we normally do and he soon learnt to calm down in the morning so we can now fuss him and he doesn't jump all over and nip. It didn't take him long (only a few days) to learn as he hates being ignored and not getting a fuss Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca Sat Aug 20 2011, 14:41

Hi Rach welcome! i'm pretty new here to and love having a helping hand from everyone.
Cali used to be pretty excited in the mornings, and as someone has said you need to create a routine for chevy.
What we did for a couple of weeks was literally beat Cali to the wake up call so to speak. This meant setting our alarm before the time he woke up (at the beginning 6am arrgh) sleep , so our alarm would wake him up, then I acted like he didn't exist for 10 minutes. Now Cali usually waits until he hears the alarm before he gets up and gets excited and he also knows he will get affection as soon as he calms down.

Hope it helps.
smile
Rebecca
Rebecca
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Cali
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Aug 20 2011, 14:52

Hiya and welome, Moo sleeps om my bed, thankfully its just me and her so loads of room (although why I nearly end up on the floor still I don't know!) I think it will improve in time, she's so young, but be consistant that thats not the behaviour you want (when possiable anyway) I still get woken up to my eyes being licked, yuck Laughing but once I've taken her out and done breakfast, usually about 6am she settles again. Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down