Broc & His Happy Hour

4 posters

Go down

Broc & His Happy Hour Empty Broc & His Happy Hour

Post by Weestv Mon Aug 08 2011, 21:27

Hello all,

I have a 7 month old staffy, Broc, he is a brilliant wee dog 90% of the time. There other 10% he has a really annoying and quite painful bad habit, when he gets into hyper mode he runs around the run full tilt and performs a gorilla warfare attack at our feet, he jus lets loose and attacks our feet with full bites and crazy noises.

As this is going on if you attempt to put your hand near him he rolls on his back and goes for your hands and tries to bite them too, we have tried yelping and this just makes him even more hyper and he attacks even harder, we have tried a firm NO and he just laughs this off. We have tried giving him a chew and praising him wen he goes for it which is all of 3 seconds.

He is a well trained dog for the most of the time, he sits, stays, lays down, speaks, rolls over, plays dead and so on its just when he gets into this mode we are lost as how to handle him.

Can anyone help? Please!

Thanks In Advance.
WeeStv
Weestv
Weestv
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bróc
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

http://www.plcbelfast.com

Back to top Go down

Broc & His Happy Hour Empty Re: Broc & His Happy Hour

Post by Steve Mon Aug 08 2011, 21:31

sound like you not being consistent with him, how many time are you taking him out and how long for?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Weestv Mon Aug 08 2011, 21:51

Thanks for your reply, I was trying to find a balance between to much walking being bad for his bone development and enough to tire him out, I used to take him for an hours walk up the mountain beside me which had him exhausted but I noticed him startin to sit side saddle and worried this may be due to excessive walking but I'm starting to think it just him growing up, now he gets walked around a park beside me (boring! for both of us) for around 45 mins a day.

When he gets walked the crazy attack mode is reduced but is still there, in fact as opposed to it preventing the behavior, it slows down his attack on my hands meaning that instead of snapping for the hand as he sees it he slowly mouths at it and bites down lightly.

The problem is I don't know how to teach him to stop, when he gets going the only way to stop him attacking me is to leave the room, when I go back in he starts again. I appreciate this is his idea of instigating play and I am completely understanding of this but when he is in his mode he can be quite dangerous to handle especially for my missus who doesn't have the strength I have.
Weestv
Weestv

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Aug 08 2011, 21:55

Mine has her mad moments! Not so much biting feet, but certainly the rolling on the back and mouthing!

Try just totally ignoring him when he does it, no cry, no treat. Make out he isn't there! Sounds daft but it worked for me. I can now make mine go silly (I kinda like it occasionally) by my tone. But you have to be persistant that you won't tolerate the behaviour unless needed/wanted (hope that makes sense!)

Hi and welcome Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Aug 08 2011, 21:57

with dogs they need consistent with them if he does a thing you dont like say NO if he carry you ignore and if he carry on then you have place in a it's place somewhere for a time out 5 mins whatever! you have to do this all the time dont let him get away with it once and tell him off another time becasue he becomes a problem dog.

i would do 2 walks a day, i always think a tired dog is a good dog a bore and untired dog is a problem dog Wink

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weestv Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:01

janey wrote:Mine has her mad moments! Not so much biting feet, but certainly the rolling on the back and mouthing!

Try just totally ignoring him when he does it, no cry, no treat. Make out he isn't there! Sounds daft but it worked for me. I can now make mine go silly (I kinda like it occasionally) by my tone. But you have to be persistant that you won't tolerate the behaviour unless needed/wanted (hope that makes sense!)

Hi and welcome Smile

Ive often thought of just ignoring him but when he attacks my feet he actually latches on to my jeans and starts to bite down on them so I would be trailing him around like a ball and chain! lol and I jus can't afford new jeans every week! lol
Weestv
Weestv

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weestv Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:05

Steve wrote:with dogs they need consistent with them if he does a thing you dont like say NO if he carry you ignore and if he carry on then you have place in a it's place somewhere for a time out 5 mins whatever! you have to do this all the time dont let him get away with it once and tell him off another time becasue he becomes a problem dog.

i would do 2 walks a day, i always think a tired dog is a good dog a bore and untired dog is a problem dog Wink

Am I doing him any hard walking him until he's exhausted though, I was told to be careful how much walking I give him because it can cause damage to their joints in later life, when he starts he mayhem I hold him by the scruff and walk him into my kitchen where he sits and wines and moans until he is brought back into the living room but soon acts up again.

He is caged trained and I have considered putting him in his cage for 5 mins when he acts up but I think this will put him off his cage and he really likes it.
Weestv
Weestv

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:13

1 walk isn't really enough

yea you dont want to used cage as a punichment

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:18

Maybe he is pushing boundries, they do! You just have to be consistent. Its not the behaviour you want so by curtaling the actions will make him gradually learn that thats not what you want.

They do learn but it takes time and patience, reward when he is good, and carry on with what your doing when he plays up. Just time really and your training Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by giblet Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:31

Weestv wrote:
Steve wrote:with dogs they need consistent with them if he does a thing you dont like say NO if he carry you ignore and if he carry on then you have place in a it's place somewhere for a time out 5 mins whatever! you have to do this all the time dont let him get away with it once and tell him off another time becasue he becomes a problem dog.

Am I doing him any hard walking him until he's exhausted though, I was told to be careful how much walking I give him because it can cause damage to their joints in later life, when he starts he mayhem I hold him by the scruff and walk him into my kitchen where he sits and wines and moans until he is brought back into the living room but soon acts up again.

He is caged trained and I have considered putting him in his cage for 5 mins when he acts up but I think this will put him off his cage and he really likes it.
dont bring him back in untill the crying and wining stops then he should be let back in and if he starts again then you have to do it all again he will soon learn
giblet
giblet
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Broc & His Happy Hour Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Weestv Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:36

So chain-mail gloves and consistency are the key at this stage! lol is it normal for them to bite pretty hard when this behavior arises? He doesn't seem to be visious about it he just seems a bit hyper and excited.

@ giblet, yeah its not until he is quite he gets back in, I know he wud be learning to get way he wants by crying otherwise.

Appreciate all the replies folks, I guess time will settle him down, and Ill just had to put up with a few chunks out of my hands in the meantime! lol
Weestv
Weestv

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:50

I think the the "leave it" command is the most important to learn especially a strong one (and one done properly) more so than sit or lie down etc, you should try the leave it command it does work wonders with all aspect like nipping/grabbing food off the floor, he's no supposed to etc, of course i agree with all the obove posts as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Weestv Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:55

MissRogue wrote:I think the the "leave it" command is the most important to learn especially a strong one (and one done properly) more so than sit or lie down etc, you should try the leave it command it does work wonders with all aspect like nipping/grabbing food off the floor, he's no supposed to etc, of course i agree with all the obove posts as well.

Oh he has the leave it command down to a T, I can set a treat under his nose and tell him to leave it, walk out of the room and come back in and he would still be waiting for me to say go. He goes into his cage and sits and stares at his food until I release him with go, he just doesn't listen to it for this circumstance lol thanks for the tip tho.
Weestv
Weestv

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 18:45

Treats! Get used to puttinf dog treats in your pocket, then whenever he starts this behaviour distract him with the treats and make him sit and behave before he gets it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down