RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy

3 posters

Go down

RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy Empty RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy

Post by smitherssss23 Sun Jul 24 2011, 20:41

Hello I was really interested in a raw diet but I was wondering how you would wean her off kibble and wet food? also how much she should get,what she should get and how often ect Smile Thank you
smitherssss23
smitherssss23
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy Empty Re: RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy

Post by janey Sun Jul 24 2011, 20:56

I don't feed raw so not any help, but plenty here do, this link is good,

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t2170-looking-into-barf?highlight=feeding+barf
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy Empty Re: RawMeatyBones for a 10 week old puppy

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 21:01

I literally just did a straight switch with mine but stuck to one protein source for one week and he was fine never had any upset stomach etc.

Best thing is to look on http://www.rawmeatybones.com/ for how much to feed and what to feed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Jul 24 2011, 21:54

What ella says is what I would do - do the swap cold turkey (pun intended) and stick to a protein source in the beginning. Whole chickens, cut to pieces, is the easiest and best way to start. You don't have to worry about organ meats and such in the first few weeks, but with a puppy it's important that you read up and know what you are doing. When they are growing is not the time to play around with nutrients. If you get worried you might find a balanced raw diet available (I know the quality of pre-made raw diets vary widely) and do 50/50 your own and the pre-made. Pre-made stuff is always (?) stuffed with multivitamins and therefore you don't have to worry about balancing yours perfectly.

That said -it's nothing wrong with feeding a puppy raw, I do it myself - you just need to read your homework.

As for amounts - the guideline is 1-3% of your dogs ideal, adult bodyweight. Or - the easier one: as much as the puppy would like. They are very, very unlikely to get fat from this diet. But if that becomes an issue you'll need to get back to percentages.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 21:57

Aniemother explained it much better then me!

Back to top Go down

Post by smitherssss23 Mon Jul 25 2011, 01:44

HaHa Smile Thank you so just pure meat is that what your saying? Or 50/50 with kibble? And just one kind of meat for the first week? Sorry for the questions I just want to make sure I'm doing best forr Maxi Smile
smitherssss23
smitherssss23

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25 2011, 08:29

just swop staright away dont mix raw and kibble togther, just raw at one meal and if you want to continue with the kibble till it is finished, then give that for another meal but not together

good luck, billy has raw

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Mon Jul 25 2011, 10:13

What lynne said! And yes, just one meat for the first week or two, then you can gradually start on one more protein source and increase it a bit every day until THAT protein is your main protein source and so on until you have introduced all the main proteins you plan to use. (Chicken and pork are what I use the most, and then beef and lamb when I get it cheap and fresh fish once a week. I also get exotics when I see them and can afford it, bc it's extra important with variety for the kitties and then the dogs get a taste, too.)

It's important that the meats you give in the beginning have small, soft bones in them which is why whole chickens are so good. Whole chickens have quite a lot of bone for the meat which means less likelihood of diarrhea, too, which is always a bonus. I just cut them up with a pair of scissors.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smitherssss23 Tue Jul 26 2011, 01:39

Diarrhea is a bonus? Why
smitherssss23
smitherssss23

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26 2011, 05:53

No she said there's less liklehood of it as it's definitely not a bonus!

Back to top Go down

Post by smitherssss23 Tue Jul 26 2011, 07:24

Ow :$ silly me Smile
smitherssss23
smitherssss23

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26 2011, 10:21

Haha no problem Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down