Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans)

+3
axlbaby
janey
Aniemother
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Injured Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans)

Post by Aniemother Mon Jul 18 2011, 17:50

Okay, so I've been thinking about writing down our progress and challenges as Gummi grows up. Partly to have documentation in the future and partly to keep myself motivated. Laughing We haven't gotten as much training done as I'd have wanted, but finally started in the last week or so. Laughing

This was one trick my little mountain goat didn't need much training to learn, jumping onto big rocks on command.

Last edited by Aniemother on Fri Mar 23 2012, 15:34; edited 6 times in total
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Injured Re: Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans)

Post by janey Mon Jul 18 2011, 18:41

Gummi is just lovely, what a stunner and a star star
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by axlbaby Mon Jul 18 2011, 19:37

what a sweet pup
axlbaby
axlbaby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : axl and skyla
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months ish and 3
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Mon Jul 18 2011, 21:58

Thanks!

He's a handful, but he's also truly delightful. He's exactly what I wanted and hoped for - more or less exactly like Bajas was when he was a puppy. This time around I have the knowledge that things will get better, though, so I'm not so stressed out as I got with Bajas from time to time. Tongues

So far we have worked on
- sit: he does this frequently and it is his go-to response if he's unsure of what I want from him, he will sit with only a verbal cue
- down: he'll get it right 9 times out of 10 and will occasionally offer the behavior, but not nearly as frequent as the sit. He needs a visual cue to lie down, but we're working on the verbal one.
- "it's yer choice":

he's starting to understand that he has to move away from the hand to get treats, but he'll still try a shortcut from time to time. We did "crate games" today with a bowl of treats in front of the crate without him jumping out, though, so he's getting much better. He REALLY needs to learn to make good choices, so this is a good start
- crate games: started with this yesterday and he caught on pretty fast, having already started "it's yer choice" was probably helpful. Used the clicker to shape him into choosing to get into the crate. Used treats to make him sit when I opened the crate door.
- touch: I have a target stick at home, but now we're at my boyfriend's apartment up by the lake, so I did a shaping session today where he got rewards for touching his nose to the tip of the broom handle. He caught on surprisingly fast
- recall: have started a few recall games. Having my boyfriend assist me and holding his collar and for me to call him works pretty well. He's not so interested on running back to my boyfriend, though.. Laughing We'll have to work on that, too. I tried leaving a bunch of small treats on the ground for him to eat while I moved further along before calling him was semi-successful. He'd only let me walk a few feet before following, ignoring the treats. A good thing he'd rather follow me than eat treats, after all. Will try again with yummier treats, though. Sitting still and tossing bigger (easily visible) treats away while giving the command "out" and then calling for him once he swallowed it worked pretty well. Did that indoors and will try again outside tomorrow.
- leash work: haven't done much here, as he's hardly ever on leash. He's generally been very good though, but tonight he pulled a lot when I took him for a walk. I'm using a harness so it's no biggie if he pulls a little until he learns to walk properly. He's often taking the leash in his mouth, but I'm ignoring it for now as long as he's not chewing on it I don't consider it a problem. He's getting pretty good at staying on my left side, though.
Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Foto3854
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:28

Some good tips there Smile Not sure Moo would ever understand the clip though Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:37

He's really beautiful! Love his colour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 04:12

Gorgeous boy Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 08:28

gummi is a star

star

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Jul 20 2011, 18:18

We keep having short training sessions a few times every day. I still need to get better at keeping the sessions short enough, I've had to take the toy and beaten myself on the head with it repeating "bad trainer, baaaad" on more than one occasion.. I'm thinking about actually putting on a timer so I make sure to use no more than 2 minutes, and - of course - to end the session sooner if he does really well. I'm pretty good at giving him the jackpot and ending early, just not to make sure I end early enough when we're having very slow progress.

I've taken a couple of videos.. However phone + clicker + treat (and at one point + broom) makes it a bit tricky and his and my performance drops a bit.. Still wanted to have something for later, and there was no one around to help, so this was the best I could get.

Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 18:22

Aww what a little star he is Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Jul 20 2011, 20:26

Thanks! We went outside for another little session and I got another video. Big Grin

It's so much fun working with him now that he's starting to really get the clicker. I've used the clicker with other dogs, but never so young, and he takes it so much faster when there's less "conventional training" already shaping his opinion of how you learn.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 20:56

What a sweet pup!

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Mon Jul 25 2011, 22:38

Like I mentioned in a separate thread we've enrolled in puppy classes at a clicker based dog school. I'm sooo excited and already planning to take another class there if the first is any good. They have a three part class of obedience classes aimed for competitions that I'd love to take.. I really want to do it, and do it right!

We've been working on a few more things
Sit - worked on this according to the online class we did this last week, making the behavior more fixed in his mind and cue it again. He already knew this one, but hopefully it'll be even better now.
Crate games - is seeing real progress in having him enter and stay in his crate. He's also very good at waiting for permission before exiting. Messed up my video attempt so will have to do another.
Touch - tried to make him touch his paw to a piece of wood since I didn't have mouse pad available. Didn't work so good, we've only done touching with his nose so far.. Today we did it with a perch instead, more like the stone my MIL have a potted plant on. This made it much more visible and therefore much easier. Should have thought of that earlier. Got some of it on video! Also started teaching him to touch his nose to my palm. We've got some teeth issues with him touching finger/target stick, so thought it might help him touch something without wanting to use the teeth so badly. Got some nice touches with no teeth, so we'll hopefully see progress!
Drop it - he's quite good of letting go on command, now, but we've also just started passivity training. When we tug and I go completely passive he's supposed to let the toy go - he picked up on it really fast! Once he drops it we continue the game of tug.
Recall - did recall games with PA yesterday, he still prefers to stick with me rather than running to PA. Big Grin But he got some good runs, and it's good to make sure he returns to PA, too.

Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 16:10

aww Gummi is such a gorgeous boy... looks like he is so eager to learn.. and he is so handsome in his bandanna and green harness!!!! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Jul 27 2011, 19:05

Thanks! He's so lovely to work with - it makes such a difference starting him with the clicker right away! I loved working with Bajas, too, I just didn't have the option of shaping since he was trained differently (he was a star.. I still regret not teaching him with more precision, as it would have been so much fun entering a PUG into obedience.). The regrets of not making Bajas precise enough is part of the reason I wanted to start early with Gummi. Plus, it's nice to give a puppy something to do to tire out that little head. Laughing And you get such a good relationship when you work on tricks and obedience and all that stuff, that really is the biggest benefit you get. Love Struck

Today we've worked with his fear of water (https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t7424-gummi-at-the-beach), more perch work (he can now rotate both left and right on the perch, if a bit hesitantly) and started working on a "stand" command.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28 2011, 02:24

you have inspired me to make a puppy diary!!! I've started it as a weekly submission and will move on to monthly, such a good idea since whenever we or friends have a new pup, no one can remember much about other pups they've had, itll be great to compare with pups in the future!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28 2011, 04:18

What a smart boy!! I wish I knew about the training video when we first got Suki. Well, she is still 10 months old so maybe not too late yet, I hope. She can do "leave it" game with treats on her paws and wait for my command to eat. But she tries to eat everything on the ground when we are walking outside. Using treats is not working any more. She still tries to eat what's on the ground after eating the treats... Just this morning, she ate a little lizard alive. I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Injured Hi

Post by madeira264527 Thu Jul 28 2011, 06:15

Thats Great Your Dogs Jumping On Rocks On Command Bet I Took Some Hard Work ?!
madeira264527
madeira264527

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Jul 28 2011, 07:14

russdogmum wrote:you have inspired me to make a puppy diary!!!
How cool! I attempted one with Bajas when he was little, but never got around to do it often enough (we also had a website, though, so a lot of it went into a diary there.)

jstaff wrote:she is still 10 months old so maybe not too late yet, I hope. She can do "leave it" game with treats on her paws and wait for my command to eat. But she tries to eat everything on the ground when we are walking outside.
Perhaps try extending the "It's yer choice"-game to stuff outside? It can be used to allow access to anything they want, assuming some of the things she wants to eat outside are okay to eat? Or perhaps you could hide stuff outside to play the game - at least that would be a good way to train it initially. Once the behavior is established you don't need to let the dog have everything it wants (once it behaves), but you can use a treat or toy to reward the behavior of asking your permission.

madeira264527 wrote:Thats Great Your Dogs Jumping On Rocks On Command Bet I Took Some Hard Work ?!
LOL.. Not so much.. Two minutes maybe until I got that video. No shaping done there, didn't have the clicker with me, but just took advantage of a behavior he happily displays (jumping onto stuff). It's still not perfectly on cue (we don't walk past there all that often) - he'll still jump up without a cue from time to time. Getting the cue there isn't hard work, either, though, it's just a matter of walking over there to train. Laughing
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28 2011, 08:15

well done you and gummi

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28 2011, 13:57

jstaff wrote:What a smart boy!! I wish I knew about the training video when we first got Suki. Well, she is still 10 months old so maybe not too late yet, I hope. She can do "leave it" game with treats on her paws and wait for my command to eat. But she tries to eat everything on the ground when we are walking outside. Using treats is not working any more. She still tries to eat what's on the ground after eating the treats... Just this morning, she ate a little lizard alive. I dont want to s

...poor lizard Sad

Winston will be the same I reckon.. whatever he can get in his mouth, he tries to eat.. he is forever eating moths....eeekk!!! sick

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri Aug 05 2011, 17:33

We haven't gotten as much training in lately as I would have wished. It's been really, really hot and Gummi just wants to relax in the shade so that's mostly what we've been doing.

We've gotten in a few good sessions on sit and down, though. I really saw some of the benefits in shaping the other day as we were working on his "down", but I needed to get him back up before he could get the command again.. so I took a risk and gave him the sit command. And he did! With the lure methods (or force methods) you tend to have to teach them to sit down and sit up separately, but since he's been shaped he actually knew the meaning of the sit rather than the action. I was rather impressed. He's not completely certain of the down cue yet, but it's not far off.

And yesterday we had some social training with Alto. I'm putting the video in here to keep everything together, it's also posted in the video gallery.

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Foto4526
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri Aug 05 2011, 18:34

I just started unpacking my books looking for some clicker training books I knew I had, but as it turns out I had more than I thought!

So this weekend I'll be digging into
- Clicker Training for Obedience (Morgan Spector) - I knew I had this one!
- Click To Win (Karen Pryor) - I knew I had this one, too!
These were the happy surprises:
- Clicker Training (Cecilie Koeste and Morten Egtvedt)
- Quick Clicks - 40 fast and fun behaviors to train with a clicker (Mandy Book/Cheryl S. Smith)
- Clicker Fun - Dog Tricks and Games using Positive Reinforcement (Deborah Jones)
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Aug 18 2011, 16:24

It was finally time for the first session of our puppy class yesterday. It was all theoretical, so Gummi didn't have to come along. He came and stayed in the car, though, so we could do some training on the way home. He also got a walk during the break, and met a couple of other pups. The trainer seems nice and we got a nice booklet where she has listed all the things we are going to work on and they all have tables with different goals to work on for that particular behavior. Then you tick the box when you have accomplished each goal (walk nicely on lead 3 meters straight ahead, walk nicely on lead 10 meters with a 90 degree turn, walk nicely on lead 50 meters with two turns and so on under the theme of walking nicely on the lead). It's really nice because it helps people break things down into segments they can achieve and because it can be very rewarding to tick another box Big Grin

Haven't been able to work as much as I'd like lately, but we have been working on
- putting his nose through the collar when I hold it out
- putting his nose through the correct hole in the harness when I hold it out
- following me when I walk and run backwards
- attention
- using a bowl for treats that he is allowed to run over and eat from when I click and give him permission
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Aug 25 2011, 13:55

We had the first practical night of the puppy class yesterday! 6 puppies - a beagle, some sort of fluffy x, a bichon havanaise (sp?), a miniature schnauzer a poodle and Gummi. All but the beagle and Gummi was a bit uncertain at first, and Gummi got a bit upset when everyone was barking like crazy, but the trainer asked the ones with insecure dogs to put them back in the car while they were talking and only take them out for training so it calmed down pretty fast. We worked on contact training, following (when I walked backwards) and using your palm as a target (the dog should press its nose against your palm). The contact training was good (the beagle had some two legged siblings that were all over the place so we got some nice disturbances to work with) and the trainer commented that it was easy to see we had worked on this already which was nice to hear. She also promised to show us some tricks to make him lie down straight. He did well with the target training, too, and I made sure to break it up with play time and he did some nice tugging. He's been teething and I've been a bit afraid of causing him pain but now he seemed to have fun. I think most of his adult teeth are in now, which is good in so many ways.. Laughing I think we got a bit less attention from her than the others, but they need it so it's okay. But I know she had been keeping an eye on us, because on the final summing up she mentioned that we had been good at taking play breaks.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25 2011, 14:01

i love reading this diary its such a good idea, well done gummi looks like he has the hang of things

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Wed Aug 31 2011, 16:49

This is fab!! Its defiantly something I'm going to do with Beau when he comes home!! I'm just so sad I never had the inclination to do this with Ruby Crying or Very sad .
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Aug 31 2011, 19:09

Thanks lynne - we're having fun and it's nice to keep track even if the diary is mostly fun for me. Laughing

The second session was today and we were really lucky weather wise - nice and sunny and then some thunder, but no rain until we got in the car to go home!

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11012
Gummi eagerly waiting for permission to jump out of the car crate!

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11014
Come on, Mom!!! I can handle you saying "strawberries" or "bingo" or other silly words instead of my permission word, but taking pictures? Seriously? THAT's what we're here for?

There are other poopies out there!
Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11016

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11023
More of our fellow students

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11026
The nice weather in the distance.. Big Grin SO happy we didn't get wet (yes, we need to train in the rain eventually, and we do at home, but I appreciate the nice weather when we have to stay outside for a whole hour. When we train in the rain at home it's for 1-10 minutes, tops!)

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11029
Doggie zen training - treats in the bowls on the ground and the puppy doesn't get the treat until it's given the magic word (like "get it" for instance).

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11030
Gummi's bowl - with a nice piece of lamb heart (raw). Went out especially to get heart meat today to try to use it as treats, heart is a very firm meat and it really worked well. I'm sure beef heart would be even better, but my guys just LOVE lamb.

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11031
Yum!

A few pix from last week - the trainer used one of the puppies that hadn't learned the palm touch already to show how fast and easy it is to learn and she caught on in no time. Also - it really helped her connect with the trainer. She didn't really want to meet the trainer initially, but after a minute of training she both knew the palm touch and was thrilled to see the trainer when they arrived today!
Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11008

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) August11011
Gummi, just being cute!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Aug 31 2011, 19:32

Lovely pics, Gummi is going to be a stunning and well balenced dog Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_tris Wed Aug 31 2011, 21:23

This has been really enjoyable to read,thanks.

Gummi is Super Cheeky-Cute! And I love his harness!! Big Grin
mr_tris
mr_tris
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Spartan
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

https://plus.google.com/115888629720808787358/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 21:32

Thanks for the update he is doing so well

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 12:17

Not just Gummi being cute... Gummi being super cute!! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Sep 01 2011, 15:01

Thanks everyone! He really is a wonderful little guy. Love Struck
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Tue Sep 06 2011, 20:32

I've posted these pix in the gallery along with others, but wanted to put them here, too. I haven't been able to convince anyone to come along to the puppy classes to take pix so far, so these are the closest thing I have to training pix so far. Laughing

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Valpetreff3

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Valpetreff4

We've done some great progress with him holding or picking up the dumbbell, but we're struggling with the mouse pad target.. Perhaps I should have chosen his left paw rather than the right.. Either way I think I got an idea today that will hopefully increase his paw awareness Smile
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Sep 07 2011, 18:05

We had a good session at puppy class today!

Worked on
- leash walking toward a temptation (treat in a bowl)
- sit/stay
- down

He did pretty well with the leash walking walking towards and around the treat bowl - then at some point he'd get the permission word and could walk over to take the treat. We really made some progress with the sit/stay, which was great. Need to keep working on that! The down was pretty good - he's got a nice voluntary down, but I've kept from putting a cue on it as he tends to rest on one hip and I don't want him to do that when he gets the down command in the future. I want one lie down (relax) and one down (for obedience) but for now they're sort of mixed up. Incorporated the stay work from the sit/stay to a down/stay while we were at it. Smile
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Sep 15 2011, 18:01

Our fourth class was yesterday - nice and sunny this week as well. We worked on
- loose leash walking with disturbances
- having the dogs sit nicely while people approach.. as you can imagine Gummi found this VERY challenging.. He was so frustrated the poor baby, but he was slowly learning it might pay off to be patient. Laughing
- recall.. OMG I want some pictures of him running, he is so CUTE. He runs as fast as he can manage - he looks like a little brown ball, his legs all a blur. Love Struck

We worked in pairs most of the time, and I was lucky to work with a lady with a super cute poodle called Cosinus. I feel I don't get enough time to train lately.. there's so much going on. But - we've been able to take some nice walks lately. It's wonderful to have a dog old enough to come along for more than little baby walkies around the house. We've also signed up for a competition focused obedience class (level 1) that starts in mid-October. It's all about learning basic behaviors, though - and they are then turned into the actual obedience exercises in another class later.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 15 2011, 18:19

Really pleased all is going so well with Gummi, and I'm pleased to hear even Gummi has difficulty in learning patience!

Thanks for the update and yes, would love to see a clip of him giving it his all whilst running Laughing sounds very cute Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16 2011, 16:50

yes it is interesting reading about Gummi's classes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sat Sep 17 2011, 11:46

A couple of videos from our classes - not of Gummi since I took them. (Though he's in one of them for a few seconds Laughing )

Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Tue Sep 20 2011, 10:53

Gummi is 6 months today! Yay Gummi! Big Grin Cool And yesterday we finally made some progress with the mouse pad targeting (right paw to mouse pad). It's taken FOREVER to get there, but I think he started to grasp the idea yesterday. I've tried many different methods, patience included (LOL) so I'm not sure if it was the new method I tried yesterday or what.. Either way I'm thrilled and can't wait to try again tonight.

What ended up working was this:
- mouse mat on top of the (lidded) trash bin in the bathroom (we do most initial training in the bathroom as it's small and easy to control disturbances). 30 cm above the ground
- threw the treats to the direction where he seemed most likely to put his right paw on first (I don't really care if he puts the left one on there, too, but I wanted him to know the right one was the important one)
Once he got it about 80% right I..
- put the mouse pad on a low box (10 centimeters off the ground perhaps)
Once he got that about 80% correct I..
- put the mouse pad inside the box so basically ground level, but with "edges" around

Tonight I plan to start with the mouse pad within the box and then progress to mouse pad on the floor. Wish me luck! Laughing
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 20 2011, 20:04

wow good luck animother, gummy is a real star, i look forward to hearing about this its so interesting

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Sep 22 2011, 18:01

Thanks! We initially struggled with the mouse pad again on Tuesday.. Laughing But now I think we've finally gotten it - he seems much more deliberate now.

Yesterday was the fifth practical night of puppy school and he did really well. We arrived early and after the pre-training walkies we had some time to train. Lucky for us a boy was practicing on his roller skis! He kept going up and down the length of the parking lot, which meant we could stay in the middle and he'd come past fairly regularly. I'm hoping to train him to notify me of anything fun approaching (dogs, people, horses and so on) for the times I'm not paying good enough attention. Basically I reward him for looking at something exciting and the connection between "see something fun" and "turn to mom" should be established. Eventually. It's going to take quite a bit of work I'm sure, to make the concept understood and generalized to all kinds of places and fun/interesting things. But when it works it's really valuable, so I'm going to try! Smile

He's really becoming more a young dog than puppy - sniffing more and so on. I'm sure we'll have some challenges ahead! Laughing
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri Sep 30 2011, 16:11

We've finally got the mouse pad target down! Yeah! I tried moving further away from it today, with varied success (I want to increase the distance fast enough for him to run versus just trotting calmly over). We've also started working on him freezing on the target (remaining there until I release him).

We graduated from puppy class on Wednesday and got a diploma and everything. We did some more recall training, worked with the mouse pad (ironically - but at least he showed he really understood it in a new environment), and started teaching a "spin" trick. I hadn't put a cue on down yet, so when we were supposed to work on that we didn't get anywhere as he didn't offer it. He's gotten great at sitting down in heel position (coming from the front and moving his hind quarters in a half circle to end up facing the same way I am and sitting down all at once) and I had obviously given him too much attention for that behavior as he kept doing that and nothing else. Laughing

Next week is off and the week after that is theory for our new obedience class. I really should try to do LOTS of work next week while I have some extra time on my hands. Started putting a cue on down yesterday (he does know the behavior, once he knew what I wanted he offered it very fluently so it was easy to put a cue on it) and roll over today to make it easier for him to separate the two.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Oct 02 2011, 19:51

Cool So happy today! We did some great progress with Gummi freezing the hand target (keeping his nose on my hand until I release him)! Used the "it's yer choice" principles and it worked really well! Of course I'll need to fade out the help from the IYC, but it was soo much easier than gradually making him keep his nose there for longer before clicking.

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Foto5239
And a few silly pix of my cutie

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Foto5190-1

Gummi's Puppy Diary updated March 23 (pix and plans) Foto5188-1
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Oct 02 2011, 20:04

He is stunning, and coming on nicely Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Oct 02 2011, 20:11

What a brill diary and update on gummi Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Mon Oct 03 2011, 10:00

I made a couple of videos yesterday Big Grin

Not our finest work, but fairly representative for the average Smile We work on several things we haven't done for a while, which increases his frustration levels.

Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Oct 12 2011, 21:25

Today was the theory class for our new obedience class. We're going to learn 15 basic skills that can then later be combined into the complete obedience exercises. The group seems really great! My favorite, the poodle from puppy class, a short haired collie (or do you call them smooth in English as opposed to rough?) and three Tervurens. Big Grin I can't wait to get started. I do feel we have some of the basic skills already, which will hopefully get us some extra time working on the others!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 12 2011, 21:34

Certainly keeping on top of the training. What are the '15' basic skills???
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Oct 12 2011, 21:49

janey wrote:

Certainly keeping on top of the training. What are the '15' basic skills???
Focus (looking at the owner)
Targeting
Sit
Hind quarter control/awareness (Being able to walk backwards and turn at the same time)
Find the heel position while the owner is standing still
Recall
Walking + looking up
Down
Stand
Stay (as in remaining in the position)
Doggie-Zen (self control - reward in a bowl somewhere away from where you train and then permission to go get it)
Hold (an object without chewing)
Drop (the object)
Jumping an obstacle
Scent discrimination

I'm especially exited to get some help with the scent work!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next