Dog Crate

3 posters

Go down

Dog Dog Crate

Post by Eclipse Wed Jan 22 2020, 13:06

Hello All

Can anyone recommend a strong safe and well made Crate suitable for a full grown Staffy ?
my puppy is in a 24inch one at the moment but growing quickly and I am looking now to find
a Crate for her in the future.

I have seen all of them I think on Amazon and most use wire bars and have questionable build quality
which I want to stay away from.

Ideal size for the Crate is-
Height 65cm 650mm 25in
Width 90cm 900mm 36in
Depth 60cm 600mm 24in

Budget is around £200

Eclipse
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Dog Crate

Post by gillybrent Wed Jan 22 2020, 14:11

I think most of them have wire bars unless you go for a large travel crate. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karlie-Transport-Box-Requirements-Transportation/dp/B00F2JM8MW/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr3_1?keywords=Rigid%2Bdog%2Bairline%2Bcrate%2Brosewood&qid=1579702465&sr=8-1-fkmr3&th=1&psc=1).

As far a wire ones go, Rosewood are supposed to be good quality.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Jan 22 2020, 19:07

I would ask how you use it, why you have chosen a crate for that use and how much time your staffy will spend in it ?

I only have experience of plastic travel cases but can thoroughly recommend the trixie gulliver
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sturdy-Dog-Kennel-Gulliver-Travelling/dp/B01FXJ071Y/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1PDPN048UCODY&keywords=karlie%2Btransport%2Bbox&qid=1579718879&sprefix=Karlie%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-10&th=1
I have size 6 for house basket/safe place and size 5 for car travel and holiday basket (size 5 is the maximum that will fit on the back seat of my car)

When I’m not at home and need to keep my girls safe and out of trouble, I have my crates without the door but within a puppy pen. I can recommend these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FEANDREA-Whelping-Foldable-Portable-PPK86H/dp/B01AHP0LJM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1K8O7QYX6NE9O&keywords=feandrea%2Bpuppy%2Bpen&qid=1579718326&sprefix=Feandr%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-1&th=1

In theory, they could so easily jump out but they never have done. They know that they go to bed in their respective pens for a biscuit where they have bedding, water and toys. Smile
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclipse Wed Jan 22 2020, 20:49

Thanks for the links gilly and Nifty

I plan to use the Crate as her main bed where she can sleep/ go in and out as she pleases but also be confined to when I have to leave the house and cant take her with me. Duration could be anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours but I will always see if a friend can look after her before having to resort to locking her in her Crate.

Eclipse

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Jan 22 2020, 20:55

Ok, so your use of the crate is very similar to mine Smile
But my crates are within the play pens to give them more room and to have a place to put water bowl and toys without risking that soaking the bedding.
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclipse Sun Jan 26 2020, 11:44

After much searching I think I have found a suitable crate, my worry is Shey chewing at the thin wire bars, them bending so she keeps chewing and ends up damaging her teeth, gums or cutting her self on the wires as she tries to squeeze through them , there's some terrible pictures on Amazon where dogs have chewed their way out and you can only imagine the state they must have been in afterwards.
Also these cheaper ones tend to have internal sharp jagged wire ends which dogs could cut them self's on, so I wanted to try and avoid them.

The average crate uses 3mm diameter wire, sometimes 4, the crate Shey is in at the moment is all 3mm wire except the door which is 4mm.
the crate i link to below is 5mm (4AWG) all around so much stronger, it's its looks nicely built and has 3 doors so unless I find a better one in the meantime I will probably get this.

https://www.doghealth.co.uk/collections/cages-crates/products/doghealth-3-door-bull-breed-cage

Eclipse

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jan 26 2020, 13:07

That looks nice. But I would still cover the top & three sides to make it cosier & 'den like'.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down