Bad behaviour has become a routine.

4 posters

Go down

Bad behaviour has become a routine. Empty Bad behaviour has become a routine.

Post by Jay8574 Sun Jan 12 2020, 10:43

My staffy girl is 13 months old and generally pleasant. However it seems to have become routine that she has very bad behaviour on a morning. She sleeps in the kitchen and when we enter she goes outside to the toilet but when she comes back in she will bite, scratch, jump up and generally do anything she can that she is not allowed to do. We started trying to combat this by placing her in time out when she began to bark and bite but she this has now just become routine and she will bark at and bite me and my partner then run to her crate for the time out as if it is a game. I am finding it very difficult to combat this behaviour as she doesn’t respond to normal training methods. We have not had her from being a a puppy and adopted her from another family and we believe she hasn’t been given the proper training which we are trying to solve now.

Any suggestions about older staffy training would be highly appreciated thanks.

Jay8574
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Bad behaviour has become a routine. Empty Re: Bad behaviour has become a routine.

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jan 12 2020, 12:19

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Bad behaviour has become a routine. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Bad behaviour has become a routine. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Bad behaviour has become a routine. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Bad behaviour has become a routine. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Bad behaviour has become a routine. Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Bad behaviour has become a routine. Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Bad behaviour has become a routine. Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Bad behaviour has become a routine. B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Bad behaviour has become a routine. Empty Re: Bad behaviour has become a routine.

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jan 12 2020, 12:58

Hello and welcome.
Congratulations, you have a staffy who has entered her “teenage tantrums” age (my Opium is almost 16 months old so I fully sympathize with you).

When you talk of biting, is it “play nipping” or full-on aggressive biting ? My house rule here is no teeth at any time, but my Opium is a hyper-active type who “nips” out of excitement. You need to use a very firm “NO” when she nips but compensate with a soft and bubbly praise when she gets it right.

It sounds like your morning routine has become a game so you need to ignore her when she barks and bites. As soon as she stops, even for an instant, praise. Then you can (also) ask her to do something specific, like sit quietly. She’s choosing the bark/bite game so you need to initiate another more appropriate game.

She’s looking for attention after having spent the night alone and for now, even timeout is attention for her. Even if she’s under your feet, ignore her firmly. If she’s jumping up, turn your back on her. She’ll continue to try at first but then she’ll look for new methods to get your attention. That’s where you can impose your game and conditions.

My Opium knows we won’t stroke her until she sits. But when she does, she gets heavy petting. She does need very regular reminders but it does improve day by day Smile

Then I would suggest that you look into positive training canine clubs in your area. Instructors on site should be able to help with training, especially as they’ll have the advantage of seeing your girl in action with you.

Last edited by Nifty staffy on Sun Jan 12 2020, 16:21; edited 1 time in total

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay8574 Sun Jan 12 2020, 16:18

Thank you very much for your advice I will try what you have suggested.

Jay8574

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jan 12 2020, 16:20

Do let us know how you get on, others might have ideas for you too Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jan 12 2020, 16:27

Hi there.

How long have you had her?

I would add that if the ignoring doesn't stop her, then walk out of the room & shut the door. Wait a minute & go back in, very calmly, & carry on with YOUR routine. If she starts again, repeat.

Staffords live for human attention & if you remove it, even for a short while, she'll start to cotton on.

Good luck, keep posting & let us know how you get on.

Last edited by gillybrent on Sun Jan 12 2020, 23:19; edited 1 time in total

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun Jan 12 2020, 20:56

I can't add to what has been said as it's great advice & what we used with Katy. It was like living with the Tasmanian devil Rolling Eyes

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down