Lead or not ?

3 posters

Go down

Lead or not ? Empty Lead or not ?

Post by rich g Thu Jan 09 2020, 12:56

Hi,When i used to walk Rosie i could let her off the lead and she was fine up until the age of 6,by that time she had had enough of being attacked by small yappy dogs so now she would go for them,she has done this twice off the lead gut never real bit a dog.
So for the last 4 yrs i have kept her on a lead should i carry on with the lead or could i buy a muzzle and then i would be able to let her off the lead.
Suggestions please.
Richard
rich g
rich g
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Lead or not ? Empty Re: Lead or not ?

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jan 09 2020, 17:20

The problem with the use of the muzzle as you describe is that it’s not going to allow Rosie to defend herself, if the yappy dogs are coming over to her first. And you are giving off a very awkward and contradictory message to staffy-wary people around you “dangerous dog muzzled but free to roam”.

How is Rosie’s recall ? If she comes back immediately every time you call her, then I would say that you can let her off the lead but you must anticipate everything around you and call her back before the yappies arrive.
If she doesn’t have 100% recall, maybe an alternative is to use a long line (5m or 8m) which will allow Rosie to have enough room to roam but you keep the control at all times should the situation warrant it.
I personally never let mine off the lead (they can run free at home in the garden) but I use 5m leads so the girls can be a little ahead but I bring them close in case of other dogs or animals (I live in the country).

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Lead or not ? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Jan 09 2020, 19:19

A muzzle is a great thing when used by responsible owners.

However, are you using the muzzle to stop her injuring other dogs, or to stop the prejudice of others when their dog attacks yours & she retaliates?

Is her recall 100%? If it is, then the problem is with other people. If it isn't, then it's your responsibility to control her.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down