Advice needed on training plan for two jumpers

2 posters

Go down

Advice needed on training plan for two jumpers  Empty Advice needed on training plan for two jumpers

Post by Laura_sa Sat Nov 16 2019, 11:13

I'd like some input on how to deal with the one issue we have with our two staffies (age 2 and 4): jumping on guests.

I have been quite bad about training over the last year so want to pick a consistent approach with them but would like some tips. (My husband is sceptical of treat training and I also want to prove him wrong!)

They are very good at not jumping on us, but when there are visitors they lose their cute little minds.

This is my thinking:

Option 1. Keep them away from visitors - this sucks, but they both get too excited and it's very unpleasant for everyone. I can lock them out the kitchen gate and they can see visitors but can't come in. Until they are under control, is this the best option?

Option 2.

Bring back harness plus lead and treats and be consistent with every new visitor.

I want to know if I need to do this training individually with each dog (leaving one outside at a time), or is it possible to do this with both dogs on lead at the same time?

My thinking is when the doorbell rings, ask them to sit and give them a high-value treat before opening the gate.
If they jump, get them to sit again and again.

When the guests open the gate, every time the dogs jump up (on lead), I'll say "oh dear" and walk away.

I'll them get them to sit, give them a treat and try again with the guest coming closer to us. Repeat walking away every time they jump.

Should the guest also give them a treat or fuss them if they are sitting nicely or rather ignore them completely?

If I do this over and over, is it possible that I will be able to eventually get them to be polite without leads or treats at the same time? And how long should I mentally prepare for.

Other methods like turn your back makes no difference with them.

Are there other approaches you think would be better?

Thank you!
Laura_sa
Laura_sa
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Eco, Chomsky
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Jan 2015, 7 April 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on training plan for two jumpers  Empty Re: Advice needed on training plan for two jumpers

Post by gillybrent Sun Nov 17 2019, 18:30

Well, I would say your option is right, but without the visitors offering a treat - that would be an affirmation of behaviour.

The only time I would say treats should be given by guests is when a dog is nervous if strangers, but this isn't a problem, is it?

It WILL take a few tries, but they'll both get there eventually.

Staffords are VERY friendly dogs (as you know) but sometimes need guidance on how to meet & greet.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on training plan for two jumpers  Empty Re: Advice needed on training plan for two jumpers

Post by Laura_sa Tue Nov 19 2019, 09:20

Thanks Gilly.

I'll see how it goes...

Any idea on whether to rather do the greetings one by one or try with both on lead at the same time?

L
Laura_sa
Laura_sa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Eco, Chomsky
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Jan 2015, 7 April 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Nov 19 2019, 09:33

I'd do both at the same time, but only if it can be handled calmly - otherwise you could be making matters worse, especially if they spark each other off!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Dec 10 2019, 14:45

How's it going?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down