Staffy
janey
chloexxx
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

deaf - Could Blake be deaf Empty Could Blake be deaf

Post by chloexxx Sun Jul 10 2011, 11:52

Guy's i have mentioned Blake does not heed Chloe's warnings until she leaps at him....

While Chloe's been unwell we have noticed Blake not reacting to noise......

IE when the doorbell rings he, like Chloe runs to greet... However while Chloe's been unwell Blake has not reacted at all..... During puppy class he is so ignorant to his name....

If we are in the garden and say wee wee he does it, if we say toilet he does that..... but he could be reacting to hand signals.... He sits when told, but again there is hand signal with it...

He does not react to the clicker or whistle, any advice guys

To add he is pure white

chloexxx
chloexxx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
deaf - Could Blake be deaf Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chloe, Blake
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch/ Dog
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

deaf - Could Blake be deaf Empty Re: Could Blake be deaf

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 12:02

Have you had the Vet give his ears a check ? I've never had a dog with hearing problems, but surely the vet can perform some tests to determine if there is a problem.
I've heard that with cats, if they are white it increaes the chance of deafness or hearing problems but I've never heard anything mentioned about white dogs.

I'm sure somebody with some knowledge on this subject will be along soon though.

I personally would book an appointment with the Vet.

Good luck, and I hope that it just selective puppy hearing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 12:09

I would advise a trip to the vet to get a proper diagnosis as well. If you want to check I imagine you could wait until Blake was asleep and make a loud noise near that was far enough away from his ear that he would not react to the vibration you would get a unprofessional diagnosis.

Of course he might not be deaf but might have difficulty with certain tones or hearing loss or an ear infection that is causing the problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Sun Jul 10 2011, 12:10

If he is deaf we will make adaptions for it

I have Chloe at the vet tomorrow for a check up I will mention it to her while i'm there... have done a search on the internet and it seems a white staffy problem..
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 12:16

I'm afraid that it's certainly a possibilty. Deafness is a common problem in white dogs (bts are the same), but only a proper diagnosis will tell you for definite.

If he is deaf, you can try training with a vibrating collar. When you want him to pay attention to you, you press the button, the collar vibrates & you get his attention - treat immediately. It's like clicker training, but with vibration rather than a click.

It isn't the end of the world, but it will mean suitable adjustments.

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Sun Jul 10 2011, 12:32

Will get a vibrating collar for him most definite... Its not a shock collar at all is it, cause we don't agree with shocking dogs find it cruel... Can we get an attachment for his collar or do we have to buy a full collar, we don't want to change this vibrate every time we change his collar as he is still grown

just this morning he is not reacting to any sound..... Whistles or loud bangs.. He only reacts when Chloe does...

Any advice on how to deal with him not recognising chloe's low level growls, cos it seems the poor fella has to be leapt on and chased every-time he does something she disagrees with

Just looking for a vibrate thing now
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jul 10 2011, 12:40

I'm sorry I don't know anything about deafness in dogs, but good luck at the vets. My friend has a deaf dog and they sign to him, its amazing, untill one day she left him with me and he started to walk away and I'm frantically calling and me being me, forgot, he can't hear!! Very clever dog though.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 13:18

I would think that he is just pushing chloe's buttons, even if he can't hear her, he should be able to tell by he body language that she's not happy.

have you tried sneaking up and clapping behind his head to see if he reacts?

hopefully he is not deaf and is just being a cheeky bugger but it sure sounds like he might be Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Sun Jul 10 2011, 13:27

Doesn't react to a rattle or bang behind him, he's asleep now and no reaction to whistles or name calling.....

My only concern is his lack of heed on Chloe's warnings
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Sun Jul 10 2011, 14:36

Should I get a citronella spray collar or a vibration collar as they are both indicated for deafness ? More then sure he is deaf now, he's lain asleep at the minute, Chloe's walked by him, dinners being cooked, pans are being clattered and my girls are blowing whistles, and clapping hands..... He is still fast off and hasn't reacted at all.....

Well it will make both my babies more special, him cos he's deaf and Chloe cos she will hear for him .....
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy Sun Jul 10 2011, 16:33

you could try seeing if the little guy can hear sound frequencies.
E.g :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00y198cE-IU&feature=related
Staffy
Staffy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly.
Dog Gender(s) : Female.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Sun Jul 10 2011, 17:14

Thanx for that staffy, no reaction to the sounds, tho Chloe went mad.... Tried a few of the other tests there again NO response at all not even the dog whistle ones
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 17:21

Get them checked by the vets, he might even be under the weather or even blocked up in the ears so he isn't hearing,have him check, then get the vibrating collar if the vet agree's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 17:46

chloexxx wrote:Will get a vibrating collar for him most definite... Its not a shock collar at all is it, cause we don't agree with shocking dogs find it cruel... Can we get an attachment for his collar or do we have to buy a full collar, we don't want to change this vibrate every time we change his collar as he is still grown

No, it isn't an e-collar (shock collar), it just vibrates, no shock at all. I'm not sure about getting an attachment, or whether you have to get the whole thing.

When you get the collar, you can use it to alert him to chloe's growls/displeasure.

chloexxx wrote:Should I get a citronella spray collar or a vibration collar as they are both indicated for deafness ? More then sure he is deaf now, he's lain asleep at the minute, Chloe's walked by him, dinners being cooked, pans are being clattered and my girls are blowing whistles, and clapping hands..... He is still fast off and hasn't reacted at all.....

Well it will make both my babies more special, him cos he's deaf and Chloe cos she will hear for him .....

I would personally go for the vibration - sprays can often make a dog nervy.

MissRogue wrote:Get them checked by the vets, he might even be under the weather or even blocked up in the ears so he isn't hearing,have him check, then get the vibrating collar if the vet agree's.

If he's hearing nothing at all (loud & sudden noises, whistles etc) then I doubt if it's just blocked ears. Anyway, if the ears were blocked he'd be in some discomfort.

Obviously you'll have a better idea of things once the vet's had a look.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 18:04

That is what i am saying, if he is under the weather then he might just not be bothered to react to anything at all. So a vet visit would be best.

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Sun Jul 10 2011, 18:09

Chloes at the vet in the morning for her post op check up, i'll try get Blake in with her just for the vet to have a look at his ears.....

Going to order a vibrating collar, is this what you mean ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390139206636&clk_rvr_id=246765098587&item=390139206636

Scrap this it has shock on it need find one without shock, could be used by accident
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Jul 10 2011, 18:26

Awww bless him ill be thinking about you tomorow Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 09:00

Managed to get Blake into vet with Chloe at 9:50 so I will let you guys know soon...

My vet bill total for this month is worse then my gas and leccy combined lol
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 11 2011, 09:28

Good luck Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 10:45

Okay it's one thing after other at the minute....

Blake IS completely deaf, vets checked him with various sounds and dog whistles etc.. Rattled a jar of treats behind him and used a thing on computer... She says there is a BAER test that can be done, but she thinks its pointless. She checked his ears and they are clear ..... So he is confirmed deaf

Chloe went for her post op check and has been put on medicine called galastop for phantom pregnancy and to get rid of milk that has already formed.. Thought this was happening last night as she started carrying balls about again.... Grrrr

Now the combination of his deafness and her phantom pregnancy is this.....

If he picks up one of her babies (balls ) and does not heed her warnings cos he can't hear her we will have problems..... So have to keep them apart till she is sorted hormonally
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 11:09

well at least u know what the problems are now so u can get it sorted. There is a white bull terrier x where i work who is completley deaf as well as other problems and she i have to say is the best behaved and best trained dog there! Always kept on a long line for her own saftey but can sit lie come back stay give paw roll over etc etc all with hand signals, shes wonderful x

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 11 2011, 11:38

You are going through it, as I said previous a friend of mine has a deaf dog and is incrediable, did the vet give you any advise on how to cope with it all? You now have an extra special boy in my eyes Smile . I'm sure once Chloe has settled down after her op and phantom pregnancy things will get back to a normal routin. I feel for you, its going to be tough for now but you'll get there with them both, hugs to you all Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 11:44

Oh, boy, what an awful few days you've had.

At least now you know. You can move forward. Did you get anywhere with the vibrating collar? I googled & searched but could only come up with 1 that only vibrated and that was over £150!!!! All the others have the 'shock' option.

I suppose if the buttons are large enough and placed in such a way that you can't press the wrong one by accident it'd be ok, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 13:25

Hi guy's thanks for your input.... I have ordered a vibrating collar for 144 pounds should be here in the morning, it has NO shock on it. The reason I worry about this is my girls might press it in error when walking Blake, and I don't want him to fear it at all. I will inform Blakes puppy class on Wednesday of his problem and see where we go from there... Vet asked if we wanted help re-homing him, but that is simply not an option, think she's worried about the Chloe/Blake situation... Spoke to a behaviourist today who is going to work on sign with both Chloe and Blake, in the hope Chloe will be able to hear for Blake. Emailed Barry Eaton the guy who wrote a book about deaf dogs
http://www.deaf-dogs-help.co.uk/Here's his website. Going to make my boy and girl the most special dogs ever, and best friends too...

Watch this space
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 11 2011, 13:39

Wishing you all the luck in the world, but it doesn't sound like you'll need it Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 13:53

Oh, what a tough time for you at the moment ....but good on you for being so positive about it all and finding loads of info and resources to help you all learn more and make life a bit easier for you and Blake.
When I took Roxy to Puppy school there was a little deaf puppy who was doing really well....learning hand signals etc... for training. He also had a bell on his collar so he was easier to keep track of. Pups being pups they're gonna run, hide, explore etc...a dn the bell made it easier for the owner to hear where he was as he could not hear any calls .

I wish you all the very best for working through this, and you know that if you ever need support or a place to "release" we are here for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Mon Jul 11 2011, 14:29

So sorry to hear about all this, but at least you now know. It sounds like your an incredible person who will do her upmost for her dogs, good on you. I'm sure things will all turn out great and you will have 2 very special doggies, not that they arn't special now, but they will be extra special. Smile
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 14:44

lackeman wrote:So sorry to hear about all this, but at least you now know. It sounds like your an incredible person who will do her upmost for her dogs, good on you. I'm sure things will all turn out great and you will have 2 very special doggies, not that they arn't special now, but they will be extra special. Smile

Oh Sue, I feel for you after all you have been through this week.
As Louise said above, you sound like a very incredible (and sensible) person. Your doggies will meld their way into your heart even more than ever and your girls and your doggies will grow up together and appreciate all that life has to offer both good and bad.
Best of luck to you and always remember that even in the tough times we are all here to offer an ear, support and guidance or just be a sounding off board if you need it.
Thank you for putting your dogs needs above all else. Big hugs, love & kisses from me & my girls. >Big Grin< Love Struck kiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 15:16

Blake couldn't have wished for a better owner! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 15:52

Going to see behaviourist tonight, no weeds growing under our feet.... Cancelled order on vibro collar as buying it of the behaviourist tonight with lights so we can find him easy..... Same amount of money with the bonus of lights..

Blake is to continue puppy school for socialisation, and him and Chloe start behaviour on Saturday.... He will be learning sign, he says it will take about 4 hours work with both dogs... 40 pounds per hour which I think is worth it..... Chloe will get her sporadic dog aggression dealt with at the same time...

Thanks for the kind remarks, made me cry (just a bit lol)...... I think we are doing exactly what each of you guys would do in the situation....

Our dogs are our babies and we will walk to the end of the world for them, and that applies to us all

chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 15:56

Sounds like you've found a decent behaviourist, anyway!

Glad you're continuing with the puppy school, he'll really benefit from it - it might even help others!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 11 2011, 15:59

You certainly haven't wasted any time. Blake and Chloe are undoubtedly lucky to have you. I really hope all goes well, I wouldn't have known where to start being in that situation so hats off to you Sue Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 16:06

Maybe get a video posted when my little mans all sorted, I will post a pic of him tonight in his sexy new collar.... Glad they want to involve Chloe with it, you never know Britains got talent next year lol??
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 16:11

group hug
I would have lost it a long time before now.
What a truly inspirational dog owner/companion you are. Maybe some people need to read this before they even think about getting a dog and realise it's not all about beer and skittles and all the cuteness etc.
Owning a dog or being owned by a dog is a much bigger responsibility that doesn't end when the going get's tough!!!!
Many many big sloppy kisses from my girls mstickle

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 16:29

http://www.dogtrainingderbynottingham.co.uk/

Blakes behaviourist... He makes his own dog food too K9 going to give me a free sample tonight of pup and dog, so i'll let you all know.... potato and Salmon don't it sound loverly

chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:15

deaf - Could Blake be deaf Photo-23

Our little mans fancy collar, it's a bit big at the minute.... proper bobby dazzler !!!

Got some tips of behaviourist to get us started, and it's working ok..... We will see how things pan out
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:17

Well thats a start, how did it all go? Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:18

My computer won't load the pic! Sad

What has the behaviourist given you to do?

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:25

He gave us some hand a facial signals, like if you wave your index finger side to side that means no, but up and down means stay and confirms he has to remain in position........ Tapping the ground infront of him means down, and the same for stay as with sit......... Come is both arms open as if giving a cuddle, smile each time he does things correct, and treat......
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:33

Sounds like a positive start and to be honest not much different from training a hearing pup. You just appear so strong about it all, really admire you. Blake will soon learn, they are such fast learners. x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:35

I'm sure he'll come on leaps & bounds when you really get into the training!

Back to top Go down

Post by Summerisle Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:36

What a wonderful owner you are. It's an excuse to love the little guy even more Smile
Summerisle
Summerisle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jimi
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Tue Jul 12 2011, 11:24

Well guys Blake is a super intelligent puppy....

Last night I had half hour with him without collar ( because it is too big lol )

If you get his attention and point to your eyes.... Look at me, acts like calling his name.... Pull your arm along your side means come/follow me. Place your hand up flat to him is sit, and hold both hands up flat facing him is stay... Moving your hand from higher to lower is down, and lower to higher is up..... Cup your hand infront of him when sitting is paw.... Clap is no/stop what your doing.....

He learnt ALL the above in half an hour, and is pretty much doing all these commands this morning WITHOUT treats...... He is amazing... Chloe is learning sign too lol....
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 12 2011, 11:27

What a superstar star very impressed but never doubted him, or you come to that, keep up up the good work guys Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 11:42

What an impressive boy! And you as a trainer......well done!

You should try to get a video of it & put it in the training bit on the forum for others to see if they have the same problems. It could be so useful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beccaface Tue Jul 12 2011, 11:45

He sounds like an amazing little fella.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
And cuddles from me and Ollie.
x
Beccaface
Beccaface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ollie | Phoebe (Cat).
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Jul 12 2011, 11:56

Just saw this thread! what a shock poor you, though I doubt Blake minds he is completely used to it, never known any different! Well done for getting down to business and working around things, hes lucky to have a mummy like you!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:06

Caryll wrote:What an impressive boy! And you as a trainer......well done!

You should try to get a video of it & put it in the training bit on the forum for others to see if they have the same problems. It could be so useful.

Will do once we have him mastered fully... How do we add a video ? Got some video on iphone
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:09

Sue, I would seriously sugest that you start a 'sticky' thread about deaf dogs & your experiences with detection, treatment & training.

It would be a really good addition to the advice we can give & could give a lot of heart & comfort to anyone else in the same situation!

Ooops, just seen you've replied to the earlier post!

You can download the video on either photobucket or youtube & then on to here as normal.

I'd say you should start straight away, so that people can see the progress week by week, rather than a finished article if you see what I mean! It also means we can all see how he's progressing as well! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Tue Jul 12 2011, 12:18

Right he's sleeping right now , when he wakes we will get a first video of him.. Showing he is completely deaf then showing his training to date.. Then make a video maybe every few days on his progress
chloexxx
chloexxx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content